Has anyone ever used public transport from london to the f1 at silverstone?

22 replies
Found 29th Dec 2010
Just a quicky. Looking for a travelodge sale room and obviously there isn't anything left in northampton or milton keynes. Is staying in london a decent option?

Cheers all.

1. Misc
  2. F1
  3. London
22 Comments

Banned

Going for the weekend?

I'm planning on it this year - live just shy of Northamptonshire so I'll be going from home but I wouldn't recommend traveling from London. I could recommend places closer if that any help?
Edited by: "JonnyTwoToes" 29th Dec 2010

You could stay in Watford and train it to Northampton 53mins

Banned

It's too far. You've got to get to the circuit which is in the middle of nowhere near a village called Towcester. If you aren't driving or camping nearby that means getting a taxi to the circuit. If you want to beat the crowds, you'll need to be arriving at the track at around 7AM or earlier.

maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=United+Kingdom+(Northampton+Rail+Station)&daddr=Silverstone+Circuit,+Luffield+Abbey&hl=en&geocode=FcYUHQMdZiry_yFbC6nyVbgsdQ%3BFVCRGgMdzXTw_yFKqOwugHBIvA&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=52.189856,-0.860586&sspn=0.353594,1.056747&ie=UTF8&ll=52.140653,-0.955467&spn=0.176993,0.528374&t=h&z=12

That would mean leaving London VERY early in the morning! Last time we did it, we stayed in a B&B about 5 miles from Towcester and drove in every morning.
Edited by: "DJ1" 29th Dec 2010

Banned

Ooops. Copy and paste that link - Northampton to Silverstone is 12 miles

Original Poster

Starr

You could stay in Watford and train it to Northampton 53mins

thanks, some cheap rooms in watford, tempted!

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

Going for the weekend?I'm planning on it this year - live just shy of … Going for the weekend?I'm planning on it this year - live just shy of Northamptonshire so I'll be going from home but I wouldn't recommend traveling from London. I could recommend places closer if that any help?

coming from cornwall so would stay a minimum of sat/sun night, maybe fri as well. where would you recommend?

Original Poster

DJ1

It's too far. You've got to get to the circuit which is in the middle of … It's too far. You've got to get to the circuit which is in the middle of nowhere near a village called Towcester. If you aren't driving or camping nearby that means getting a taxi to the circuit. If you want to beat the crowds, you'll need to be arriving at the track at around 7AM or earlier. http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=United+Kingdom+(Northampton+Rail+Station)&daddr=Silverstone+Circuit,+Luffield+Abbey&hl=en&geocode=FcYUHQMdZiry_yFbC6nyVbgsdQ%3BFVCRGgMdzXTw_yFKqOwugHBIvA&mra=pd&mrcr=0&sll=52.189856,-0.860586&sspn=0.353594,1.056747&ie=UTF8&ll=52.140653,-0.955467&spn=0.176993,0.528374&t=h&z=12That would mean leaving London VERY early in the morning! Last time we did it, we stayed in a B&B about 5 miles from Towcester and drove in every morning.

Cool, thanks for the info

Banned

Happysteveo

coming from cornwall so would stay a minimum of sat/sun night, maybe fri … coming from cornwall so would stay a minimum of sat/sun night, maybe fri as well. where would you recommend?

Depends what your budget is and what type of stuff you like.

Original Poster

JonnyTwoToes

Depends what your budget is and what type of stuff you like.

Well watford would be £69 for 3 nights, or £45 for 2 nights, so looking for something in that type of price range really.

Banned

And I'm guessing you are not driving (as per your public transport comment).

Let me have a look around for you, I'm nipping into Northamptonshire today.

Original Poster

Cool, thank you. Yeah, I'm a crap driver, not worth risking it!

Prepare to spend as much as your stay on a taxi from Northampton to silverstone

you'll need to get to Silverstone early on race day (6am ish). to be anywhere near the front.
Might be better to book a grandstand seat if you can, then you can turn up later and still have a good view.

Original Poster

okay, thanks for the advice gbspurs and bigflump

Have a good time mate, i used to go year after year and always from Club Corner before it got crazy expensive. Senna & Mansell in the 90's were fantastic.

You can also camp at Silverstone for the weekend, its great fun on the camp sites with a party atmosphere and fireworks all night long
You can also get organised buses + tickets bundles for the race day, they run from all over the country.
If you;ve never been before, then its a fantastic weekend
Edited by: "bigflump" 2nd Jan 2010

Original Poster

bigflump

Have a good time mate, i used to go year after year and always from Club … Have a good time mate, i used to go year after year and always from Club Corner before it got crazy expensive. Senna & Mansell in the 90's were fantastic.You can also camp at Silverstone for the weekend, its great fun on the camp sites with a party atmosphere and fireworks all night long :)You can also get organised buses + tickets bundles for the race day, they run from all over the country.If you;ve never been before, then its a fantastic weekend

Cheers, sounds like fun times!

You should camp. I do every year and its fantastic. For me the weekend is as much about the camping as the cars!!

Original Poster

louisewhite

You should camp. I do every year and its fantastic. For me the weekend is … You should camp. I do every year and its fantastic. For me the weekend is as much about the camping as the cars!!

thanks for the comment but I would probably hate camping unless it was in a caravan with your own toilet etc!

Have you tried looking to stay in Rugby? Its on the same train route, just under 20 mins.

Original Poster

Shellywelly

Have you tried looking to stay in Rugby? Its on the same train route, … Have you tried looking to stay in Rugby? Its on the same train route, just under 20 mins.

didn't think of rugby, thanks for that, will look in to it!

louisewhite

You should camp. I do every year and its fantastic. For me the weekend is … You should camp. I do every year and its fantastic. For me the weekend is as much about the camping as the cars!!

Totally agree, we always camped cos the atmosphere on the camp sites is fantastic.... everyone anticipating the race, meeting and chatting with all the different supporters from all over the world, BBQ's, fireworks... its one big F1 party

Actually the toilets on most of the sites are clean and the showers fantastic. It's much easier and quicker to get to the circuit and leaves more time for enjoying the weekend.. Go on... try it!!

Happysteveo

thanks for the comment but I would probably hate camping unless it was in … thanks for the comment but I would probably hate camping unless it was in a caravan with your own toilet etc!

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition66713
    2. Win an unbelievable Windows Mixed Reality prize pack from Windows Central! …43
    3. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines43
    4. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers44

See more discussions