Groups

Has anyone got any tips for cleaning before varnishing internal doors?

I keep reading differing opinions on Google & now I don't know what to do for the best as I will post a direct link in post 1 to the new doors I've had fitted and the Joiner has left a lot of dirty fingerprints on them and I don't know what to clean them with before varnishing.

Some say to use White Spirit then others say not to as it leaves a residue ,some say use a Tack cloth and others say not to etc etc

So now I'm back to square one not knowing what to use as just a wet cloth won't remove them I've tried.

Has anyone had any personal experience with this please?

17 Comments

I used white spirit on my oak veneer doors then varnished did the job for me

Original Poster

everypennycounts

I used white spirit on my oak veneer doors then varnished did the job for … I used white spirit on my oak veneer doors then varnished did the job for me

It does say to use White Spirit on the tin of varnish,I don't think I should have started Googling X)

deb8z

It does say to use White Spirit on the tin of varnish,I don't think I … It does say to use White Spirit on the tin of varnish,I don't think I should have started Googling X)

​yeah go for it

Wouldn't use white spirits as this may lead to the varnish bubbling or flaking. All you need to do is use a fine sandpaper rub in the grain, wipe off with a damp cloth then varnish.

Original Poster

dieselpitman

Wouldn't use white spirits as this may lead to the varnish bubbling or … Wouldn't use white spirits as this may lead to the varnish bubbling or flaking. All you need to do is use a fine sandpaper rub in the grain, wipe off with a damp cloth then varnish.

As I say I've tried that and the dirty marks are still there?

What sort of wood is it? I used OSMO, but can't remember if it was the oil or the wax finish, anyway it left them with a natural finish I think better than the shine than varnish leaves.

wood-finishes-direct.com/blo…ak/

Original Poster

Bigfootpete

What sort of wood is it? I used OSMO, but can't remember if it was the … What sort of wood is it? I used OSMO, but can't remember if it was the oil or the wax finish, anyway it left them with a natural finish I think better than the shine than varnish leaves.http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/blog/what-everyone-should-know-about-finishing-oak/

You can't use wax or oil on these doors.

Constructed using veneered slab construction
    • Ready for finishing with lacquer, varnish or stain
    • This door is NOT suitable for waxes, polishes and/or
    oils as these products do not seal the door

what sort of finger print marks? like dirty fingers dust marks?

Original Poster

mutley1

what sort of finger print marks? like dirty fingers dust marks?

I had one of these doors fitted when I had the Bathroom done and I never had this problem as it was left really clean so I didn't have to use anything to clean it I just varnished it,but god knows what this guy has been doing as there are some really Black marks on it from his hands

deb8z

I had one of these doors fitted when I had the Bathroom done and I never … I had one of these doors fitted when I had the Bathroom done and I never had this problem as it was left really clean so I didn't have to use anything to clean it I just varnished it,but god knows what this guy has been doing as there are some really Black marks on it from his hands

try using a rubber (an eraser) to rub the marks off. also you could try sanding it off slowly by using a sanding sponge pad.

if it is just wood I would give it a light sand

deb8z

You can't use wax or oil on these doors.Constructed using veneered slab … You can't use wax or oil on these doors.Constructed using veneered slab construction• Ready for finishing with lacquer, varnish or stain• This door is NOT suitable for waxes, polishes and/or oils as these products do not seal the door

It's saying can't be sealed with oils, it's not saying oils can't be used for cleaning.

Original Poster

ceres

Get the joiner that messed up your new doors back to sort it out. It's … Get the joiner that messed up your new doors back to sort it out. It's reasonable to have superficial marks that come off with a damp cloth. It's not reasonable to have marks that require a special product / method to make good the damage.

He's already been back out once and he was recommended to me but I certainly wouldn't recommend him to anyone,25 years experience and when he turned up to do the job he admitted he'd never fitted any bi-fold doors before oO

He's been a nightmare so I don't want him back under any circumstances,we are too soft with people like this but I just give up with them.

Original Poster

ceres

I don't know how many doors you've got and how much you've paid for them … I don't know how many doors you've got and how much you've paid for them but if it's more than a couple of hundred pounds, I'd get a professional in to fix them and start a small claim against the cowboy.

He's supposed to be a professional

I know we should but we always seem to have terrible problems with workmen,nearly every job we have done something goes wrong and we just let it go in the end,silly I know but we are rubbish at this sort of thing and always back down.

Original Poster

ceres

I meant someone like a French polisher rather than a joiner. If you've … I meant someone like a French polisher rather than a joiner. If you've tried all the usual things and the marks aren't coming out, I'd be nervous about causing more harm than good with DIY, especially as the doors are veneered.

Oh I see,I did try the White Spirit in the end but I was wary about how much to use,some of the marks are better but not gone completely.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions