Expired

Has anyone had a village hall wedding reception?

Found 14th May 2013
We're considering two options for our wedding reception...either at a hotel (30 mins away, nice but couldn't afford to have as
many guests) or a village hall (could have as many people as we want, 10mins away from church, has a zip line lol).

The village hall is modern, looks like a modern barn I guess. We're not pretentious people and would make the most of the fields surrounding it by putting out garden games etc. Maybe even have a BBQ for catering.

People have been suggesting that using a village hall would be lots of extra stress because I'd have to hire table cloths, chair covers, glasses, organise external caterers and venue decorators (pfft, I'd decorate it myself! Or at least oversee others decorating it hehe) . That every aspect would be down to hubby-to-be and me to organise instead of at a hotel when we'd just have to attend a few meetings!

I'd love to know if anyone on here has had or been to a village hall wedding reception. What did you do for food? Did you hire in round tables or just use the rectangle ones? Was it extra stress?

Thankyou.
Community Updates
AskWedding
5 Comments
Hi ScampiLamp! My wife and I were married at the end of March, and we decided to have our reception at the village hall local to the church. It was a raving success (according to our guests). It's true, you will have to organise everything yourself, and the scope for saving money becomes much finer once you get going and purchasing stuff. I would recommend doing it though, as we felt it was much more rewarding in the end. You do everything yourself, you get out of it what you put in, and you can call it your own hard work and achievement at the end of it all.

It will be stressful, but I think it's worth it. You make your own day, and that in itself is special. Even better if you can rope people in to help you with setup and any other areas (cake, decorations, photography etc).

We used the rectangle tables that came with the hall, but brought everything else in: Hired chairs, made/bought our own decorations and put them up ourselves, had a catering team come in and do a hog roast and all the trimmings/extras, live band with dj attachment etc etc. Used a cousin who is a professional photography, the missus' dad made the cake, a friend made loads of cup cakes and another friend made sugar flowers for the main cake. It was great!

Another advantage for us, and you by the sounds of things, is that it's close to your church! Cuts out/makes transport logistics easier etc.

Hope this helps at all. At the end of the day though, go with what feels right for yourselves as a couple. Whatever you do, it'll be an amazing day. And everyone will tell you, like they did to us, but it goes VERY QUICKLY. So just soak it up whilst you can, smile and enjoy yourself!
My family and I all had village hall weddings, it is a lot of work I won't lie, but the savings are fantastic. Generally we did a buffet, and divided the task between different family members so it was manageable. Maybe you could ask your family if they would be willing to do this is exchange for favours (help with decorating, planning their weddings)? Really I would just think about what you would like for the night's entertainment such as drinks and a disco, because the likelihood is that you will need to hire someone for these, and once you have arrange these things, you will instantly feel there is less to do. I used rectangle tables, these were just easiest to get hold of at the time. If you have a look on Pinterest you will see lots of wedding decoration ideas that may help you decide on themes and décor.

Congrats on the engagement, and good luck on arranging your wedding reception.
Original Poster
Aww thanks guys, its really useful reading your experiences! And congratulations on your recent marriage kekomemo

We have a family friend who runs a mobile disco doing our entertainment as our wedding present which is great We also have a few people who could help with various things, like setting up etc.

So its obviously doable, money saving and rewarding but stressful! I guess it all comes down to how much help we can get, because my health would prevent me from taking an active role in the days before as I'd need to be well for the wedding day itself.

I'm glad that the rectangular tables worked for you both! Did you do them in long lines or make them into squares or just leave them as individual tables?

Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I appreciate the time you took to post x

I wanted a village hall for our reception but they wanted us cleared up and out by 12.30am! Totally not doable unless we finished by 10am latest, the get out just for the disco & lights is 2+ hours, and if you're hiring tables/chairs etc they wanted these gone too. It's a shame as it would have been lovely :-( hope yours are a little more accommodating :-)
ScampiLamp

Aww thanks guys, its really useful reading your experiences! And … Aww thanks guys, its really useful reading your experiences! And congratulations on your recent marriage kekomemo :)We have a family friend who runs a mobile disco doing our entertainment as our wedding present which is great We also have a few people who could help with various things, like setting up etc.So its obviously doable, money saving and rewarding but stressful! I guess it all comes down to how much help we can get, because my health would prevent me from taking an active role in the days before as I'd need to be well for the wedding day itself.I'm glad that the rectangular tables worked for you both! Did you do them in long lines or make them into squares or just leave them as individual tables? Thanks again for sharing your experiences, I appreciate the time you took to post x

Hey, sorry for delayed response. Sounds like you've definitely got some friends and family that can help out with little bits and bobs!

We arranged our tables in a banquet style. Had 4 along the top as the head table, then three long lines of around 6-7 leading away from the head table (like a really stretched letter 'E', but with a gap between head table and the long banquet ones)

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions