has anyone had a virtual appointment?

Posted 14th Aug 2020
I have a virtual hospital appointment coming up, and was going to use a tablet

do I need to put my SIM card in this, to receive the call?

I’m confused see, because it says I sit in a virtual waiting room online.

but says I have to leave my phone number

so I don’t know if my Dr phones me to FaceTime

I don’t know, maybe different hospitals do different ways

thanks for any help
Community Updates
Ask
12 Comments
I've just had phone calls from my oncology doctors. Never been in a virtual waiting room.

This is in Dudley though.
Would they not have told you what app to use (or website to visit) for your "virtual appointment"? There must be some details that explain the process and whether it is a video call or just a normal telephone call.
I can’t speak for your exact hospital. However, we use a web-based software which you enter your details - you then sit in a “virtual waiting room” on the website and once the DR accepts you into the appointment they can see you using your webcam, using your computer/iPad to speak to the consultant.

They likely asked for your phone number as a “backup” in the event of a fault with technology, which unfortunately happens.

You won’t need a SIM in the iPad, an internet connection over Wi-Fi etc should suffice. I imagine you should be provided a link to follow which will also have instructions on what to do
Edited by: "matthewemmer" 14th Aug
matthewemmer14/08/2020 22:31

I can’t speak for your exact hospital. However, we use a web-based s …I can’t speak for your exact hospital. However, we use a web-based software which you enter your details - you then sit in a “virtual waiting room” on the website and once the DR accepts you into the appointment they can see you using your webcam, using your computer/iPad to speak to the consultant.They likely asked for your phone number as a “backup” in the event of a fault with technology, which unfortunately happens.You won’t need a SIM in the iPad, an internet connection over Wi-Fi etc should suffice. I imagine you should be provided a link to follow which will also have instructions on what to do

this is perfect, because everything you mentioned, with the weblink is what I received, thank you so much
appreciate the help folks
666FU15/08/2020 02:24

Comment deleted

Maybe that's why he's seeing the doctor. Why do you need to be mean? And it's breathe.
666FU15/08/2020 02:24

Comment deleted

No need for that, take it out elsewhere. Not everyone feels confident with online appointments, remember this is new and everyone learns differently, may need more support
My GP uses either Zoom or face time depending on the technology. You leave your number in case these fail so that they can contact you
matthewemmer14/08/2020 22:31

I can’t speak for your exact hospital. However, we use a web-based s …I can’t speak for your exact hospital. However, we use a web-based software which you enter your details - you then sit in a “virtual waiting room” on the website and once the DR accepts you into the appointment they can see you using your webcam, using your computer/iPad to speak to the consultant.They likely asked for your phone number as a “backup” in the event of a fault with technology, which unfortunately happens.You won’t need a SIM in the iPad, an internet connection over Wi-Fi etc should suffice. I imagine you should be provided a link to follow which will also have instructions on what to do

Many hospitals are using something called "attend anywhere"

You connect using a weblink using computer, tablet or phone

You will go to a "virtual waiting room" and will be connected when the doctor is available

Phone number is a back up in case the internet connection does not work

video of how it works here
Edited by: "Helpful567" 15th Aug
Helpful56715/08/2020 11:36

Many hospitals are using something called "attend anywhere"You connect …Many hospitals are using something called "attend anywhere"You connect using a weblink using computer, tablet or phoneYou will go to a "virtual waiting room" and will be connected when the doctor is availablePhone number is a back up in case the internet connection does not work

That’s the one - forgot the name of the service but remember deploying to doctors a year ago with colleagues
I used one for my dog, they supply link and other details you can connect. All these virtual meetings should be the same.
I had the appointment yesterday, even though I signed in 15 minutes before the appointment time, I was still a bit anxious that I did something wrong, however all was well, and it was just a rash
Post a comment
@
    Text