Struggling with bench press and form after a period of an aching arm.

Posted 24th AprEdited by:"mug51"
Hi,

I know it's not the right place for medical advice but I know there are a lot of people who do strength training, so I'm wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation.

From around 13th March I had aching upper right arm muscles, it lasted between 1-2 weeks, using deep heat at first then deep freeze. During that time I was unable to do bench presses.
Now that I no longer have an aching right arm, I am still struggling with my press even at a lower weight. My press is now uneven with my left side performing the press before my right side.
I now have tingling in my lower arm and my right pectoral gets twitches now and then.

Has anyone been in such situation and know how to recover from it?

Appreciate any advice.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
At best guess, time and patience will be your friends here. Not being medically trained, by the sounds of things you’ve caused, at the least, some tissue damage, which will take time to fully recover. During this time you will need to be patient, as any weight training could potentially hamper your recovery.

Give it a complete break for at least 3-4wks and if things are still bad, leave it for longer. I had an injury in the past that meant no upper body training for almost 12 months, yet nothing was broken and it didn’t need surgery - just time and patience.
Edited by: "Diggsy" 25th Apr
Suggest time and perhaps a physio. Foolishly I ignored upper arm pain for a long time and it turned out to be a rotator cuff injury which eventually flared up from just grabbing a bag. Couldn’t lift my arm above my chest for many weeks. Went to see a physio and got some great exercises to deal with scar tissue and increase strength. It’s much better now but not 100% so I avoid above the shoulder arm exercises.
Username is fitting !

All that lifting heavy weights is a mugs game
Diggsy25/04/2020 07:19

At best guess, time and patience will be your friends here. Not being …At best guess, time and patience will be your friends here. Not being medically trained, by the sounds of things you’ve caused, at the least, some tissue damage, which will take time to fully recover. During this time you will need to be patient, as any weight training could potentially hamper your recovery.Give it a complete break for at least 3-4wks and if things are still bad, leave it for longer. I had an injury in the past that meant no upper body training for almost 12 months, yet nothing was broken and it didn’t need surgery - just time and patience.

Hot.Potato25/04/2020 10:41

Suggest time and perhaps a physio. Foolishly I ignored upper arm pain for …Suggest time and perhaps a physio. Foolishly I ignored upper arm pain for a long time and it turned out to be a rotator cuff injury which eventually flared up from just grabbing a bag. Couldn’t lift my arm above my chest for many weeks. Went to see a physio and got some great exercises to deal with scar tissue and increase strength. It’s much better now but not 100% so I avoid above the shoulder arm exercises.

Thanks.
I did stop upper body for a couple of weeks thinking it would be good to go. Seems like I was too impatient to get back into it.
rest heal repeat
mug5125/04/2020 12:45

Thanks. I did stop upper body for a couple of weeks thinking it would be …Thanks. I did stop upper body for a couple of weeks thinking it would be good to go. Seems like I was too impatient to get back into it.

Yep, injuries take a lot longer than you think to properly heal, especially without intervention from a physiotherapist.

Look at pro footballers for example. They’ve access to the best of everything and often a slight muscle injury puts them out for several weeks. Without what they have access to, the ordinary joe will take an awful lot more time to fully recover.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions