Expired

Has anyone had any experience using refillable Nespresso capsules

Found 12th Aug 2014
Hi all,

I recently bought a Nespresso machine from a HUKD seller (model advertised as XN215040 but packaging shows XN2140 though I can't see how they're different) and am trying to find a way of using alternative coffees to the Nespresso originals.

I've seen both Coffeeduck and Emohome and was wondering which would be compatible with my machine and which would be the best to use or if anyone has any other recommendations.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
Community Updates
AskNespresso
6 Comments
Total waste of time. The originals are consistently the best but carte noir, lidl or even the stronger poundland ones are worth a try. Refillable tend to leak.
I had a Nespresso machine and did try alternative capsules but they never worked as well, had about a 20% failure rate - so based on this I didn't save anything. Also, the coffee didn't taste as good so didn't bother with them after the first couple of boxes.

Whilst Nespresso coffee does taste great and is very convenient, long term the cost per cup and environmental impact is pretty bad. I sold mine and bought a bean to cup machine - short term bigger investment but long term it will be cheaper and also i'm not locked into one type of capsule. Never looked back since.

Nespresso market their coffee machine as expensive / exclusive hence the style and layouts of their 'coffee boutiques' - so don't really do many offers either once you have bought the machine.

Sorry to go on, but you sound like you are in the position I was about 12 months ago.
ipswich78

I had a Nespresso machine and did try alternative capsules but they never … I had a Nespresso machine and did try alternative capsules but they never worked as well, had about a 20% failure rate - so based on this I didn't save anything. Also, the coffee didn't taste as good so didn't bother with them after the first couple of boxes.Whilst Nespresso coffee does taste great and is very convenient, long term the cost per cup and environmental impact is pretty bad. I sold mine and bought a bean to cup machine - short term bigger investment but long term it will be cheaper and also i'm not locked into one type of capsule. Never looked back since.Nespresso market their coffee machine as expensive / exclusive hence the style and layouts of their 'coffee boutiques' - so don't really do many offers either once you have bought the machine.Sorry to go on, but you sound like you are in the position I was about 12 months ago.

Thanks. I think I might be, I know a few who are into the Nespresso brand so when a machine popped up on here I thought why not but now I've got it I'm really not keen, especially when I've looked at the price (and wastage) of capsules. I know a lot of people rave about the flavour of Nespresso too but I love my flavoured coffees and thought that it'd be possible to get those into the reuseable capsules.

I've also got a La Pavoni commercial coffee machine which I use by connecting it to a mains water supply but was hoping that the Nespresso and Aerocinno combo would be a viable alternative that takes up MUCH less space so I could get rid of it. I suppose at a push I've always got the old Aeropress that I can turn to also so I may have to stick with that and keep the Aeroccino and then sell off the Essenza and La Pavoni.
iqba1_a1i

Thanks. I think I might be, I know a few who are into the Nespresso … Thanks. I think I might be, I know a few who are into the Nespresso brand so when a machine popped up on here I thought why not but now I've got it I'm really not keen, especially when I've looked at the price (and wastage) of capsules. I know a lot of people rave about the flavour of Nespresso too but I love my flavoured coffees and thought that it'd be possible to get those into the reuseable capsules.I've also got a La Pavoni commercial coffee machine which I use by connecting it to a mains water supply but was hoping that the Nespresso and Aerocinno combo would be a viable alternative that takes up MUCH less space so I could get rid of it. I suppose at a push I've always got the old Aeropress that I can turn to also so I may have to stick with that and keep the Aeroccino and then sell off the Essenza and La Pavoni.

Well with the La Pavoni and Aeroccinno you're way ahead of me on the coffee gadgets front! How do you find the Aeroccino, never used one but heard good things about them.

I certainly don't regret owning my Nespreso machine - it was great coffee. But do I much prefer having my current machine. Coffee is such a personal thing, and what is right for one isn't necessary right for another - however it can sometimes be an expensive learning curve!
ipswich78

Well with the La Pavoni and Aeroccinno you're way ahead of me on the … Well with the La Pavoni and Aeroccinno you're way ahead of me on the coffee gadgets front! How do you find the Aeroccino, never used one but heard good things about them.I certainly don't regret owning my Nespreso machine - it was great coffee. But do I much prefer having my current machine. Coffee is such a personal thing, and what is right for one isn't necessary right for another - however it can sometimes be an expensive learning curve!

The Aeroccino is better than I thought it'd be, I wasn't too bothered about the frothing capability but that works well, I mainly wanted it as a quicker way of heating milk than using the microwave or powering up the La Pavoni and it's great in that regard.

What machine are you using at the moment? The Nespresso really is great coffee but I tend to mix flavours of coffee and hot chocolates to come up with random mochas

It really can be expensive, especially when my plans to open a small coffee shop fell through so the money spent on the commercial machine was a killer on the bank balance ah well, live and learn eh?
The Aeroccino is practically perfect at frothing milk. It also does COLD milk which is great for milkshakes.

I'm not sure about "environmental impact is pretty bad" and "wastage of capsules"... Nespresso capsules are fully recyclable and are even collected from your door for free (by Yodel).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants