Has anyone had any experience with a faulty electric meter?

Posted 22nd FebEdited by:"Deleted_"
Ive just been hit with a £312 electricity bill for 3 months usage. I spoke with somebody from my supplier who made an appointment for mid march as i believe my electric meter is faulty.

i sent my meter readings wednesday evening, from wednesday to last night i had apparantly used £24 electric.

Received an email off my supplier this evening saying my bill is going to £83 a month.

Thats been cancelled with the bank.

my electric meter is weird, normally you can have buttons to press on it to show you tariff etc

this just has a constant red light and a panel with useage on.

I cant phone my supplier until monday now. Im not asking if anybody on here can do anything; im asking if anyone has had any experience with faulty meters.

3411358-MmG9o.jpgMy meter is very much identical to this.
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
Do you have electric-based heating? Do you have a hot water tank with immersion heater?
Any strange wires running to your neighbors house. Are they into indoor shrubbery?
Switch everything off and then back on, one by one, and see if the figures increase dramatically. I would take readings daily - several times especially when appliances are on, lights on etc. Presumably, no one has left an immersion heater on? What was the bill for the same period last year?

Not sure you should have cancelled your monthly payment though, or did you just explain the situation and ask them not to increase it.

You could buy one of those gadgets that tells you your consumption.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 23rd Feb
My meter doesn’t have buttons to press it flashes 000000 then the read and back to 000000. £83 a month is good if that’s for heating as well. I pay £70 a month for electricity and heating and cooking is gas so I have that on top.. also look at Chang supplier that might save you some...

also what was your bills before? has it just shot up or is this your first bill..
my tenants had an issue with their electric meters but they were on an economy 7 tariff and so it was a dual rate meter. the switching timer on the switch was faulty so it turned on the storage heaters during the day instead of at night when the electricity supply was discounted.

EDF refunded the money once they had completed their investigation. I have not had experience of a faulty standard electric meter.
Hi Deleted_ , hope you are well. When I read your thread title, I thought "Yes, I have had one" but mine wasn't quite the same issue as you so it's not much help. I had an Economy 7 meter which went; well; a bit nuts! The timings changed to random instead of the fixed "7" timings. I had heating and immersion coming on at weird times of the day. It all got sorted though and now I have a meter similar to that in your photo - however, there is a button I can press which cycles through the different time "zones" and the usage figures for each. My red light blinks, which I guess it should?

All I really wanted to convey within your thread is something another member touched on - namely your payment cancellation. If; indeed; you have cancelled this yourself via your bank (Direct Debit?) - I would recommend you address this with your electricity provider as it may backfire on you. This could create a bigger issue for you as it will be treated as "red" when they try to take payment. I know it sucks but you are better off (if you can afford it) to continue payment UNTIL the issue is investigated - or adjust payment by speaking to them directly. At the end of the day, it's a computer algorithm that adjusts payments to meet demand based on yearly seasonal usage. What it can't take into account is faults - this is why speaking to a human is most important.

If you are going to speak to them on Monday, is this to try and get a sooner appointment or to speak to them about payment/bill issue? When you initially spoke with them, did they give you the 'industry' spiel about it being "Normal to use more electricity at this time of year" and "You may have used more than you thought" etc? They are correct; of course; but it can seem a bit 'patronising' when you know your own usage pattern and it seems WAY above norm. Do you keep historical records yourself and this seems like 'extreme' usage to you? Also, you didn't mention whether this is an old supplier or perhaps a new one you've only recently switched to? Might have a bearing on the situation if it's a new supplier who have no usage statistic so they are using a 'typical' blueprint.

Hope you can get it all sorted, OP. Let us know how you get on after speaking with them tomorrow.

All the best, Phsy.
Edited by: "Phsycronix" 23rd Feb
JimboParrot23/02/2020 07:45

Switch everything off and then back on, one by one, and see if the figures …Switch everything off and then back on, one by one, and see if the figures increase dramatically. I would take readings daily - several times especially when appliances are on, lights on etc. Presumably, no one has left an immersion heater on? What was the bill for the same period last year?Not sure you should have cancelled your monthly payment though, or did you just explain the situation and ask them not to increase it.You could buy one of those gadgets that tells you your consumption.

I phoned them up and the advisor said it will just put it down as an estimated bill for now.

im due to pay my bill on friday via direct debit. I received email stating £83 will be taken out.
AndyRoyd22/02/2020 23:47

Do you have electric-based heating? Do you have a hot water tank with …Do you have electric-based heating? Do you have a hot water tank with immersion heater?

I dont have a water tank. I have an electric fire but i cant see that using £300 electric
JimboParrot23/02/2020 07:45

Switch everything off and then back on, one by one, and see if the figures …Switch everything off and then back on, one by one, and see if the figures increase dramatically. I would take readings daily - several times especially when appliances are on, lights on etc. Presumably, no one has left an immersion heater on? What was the bill for the same period last year?Not sure you should have cancelled your monthly payment though, or did you just explain the situation and ask them not to increase it.You could buy one of those gadgets that tells you your consumption.

I will try that. Whats an immersion heater i dont think i have one? Iim a 3 bed house paying £41 a month for electric. Last year i was in a 2 bed house paying £35 a month. Ive been in the property since june. Electric meter was changed from a pre-payment to direct debit in september.
Deleted_23/02/2020 13:56

I will try that. Whats an immersion heater i dont think i have one? Iim a …I will try that. Whats an immersion heater i dont think i have one? Iim a 3 bed house paying £41 a month for electric. Last year i was in a 2 bed house paying £35 a month. Ive been in the property since june. Electric meter was changed from a pre-payment to direct debit in september.

An emersion heater is basically an electric heating element inside your hot water tank/cylinder.
They are often bigger than 3KW so will use a lot of electric when turned on.
Edit - how is your bath water heated?
Edited by: "Maggy1234" 23rd Feb
Maggy123423/02/2020 14:04

An emersion heater is basically an electric heating element inside your …An emersion heater is basically an electric heating element inside your hot water tank/cylinder.They are often bigger than 3KW so will use a lot of electric when turned on.

I dont know tbh im in a rented house, the boiler is combi. Thats all i know. The combi boiler will come on when i use the hot water .
Edited by: "Deleted_" 23rd Feb
I don't have any current tales to tell but (about 25 years ago!) I did have an electric meter that slowly but surely emanated a burning smell from its cabinet (after a while you could see scorch marks in the chipboard surround). It got replaced but was worrying at the time.

And no, it wasn't rigged or anything dodgy. I did know a few people, ahem, who did this.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 23rd Feb
As others have said. Turn everything off and check if you are still using electric. If you are, contact the landlord to query.
A lot of electric prices have increased recently and your current house may be very inefficient but does sound like a big increase unless you've got a cannabis plantation round back.
Maggy123423/02/2020 14:12

As others have said. Turn everything off and check if you are still using …As others have said. Turn everything off and check if you are still using electric. If you are, contact the landlord to query. A lot of electric prices have increased recently and your current house may be very inefficient but does sound like a big increase unless you've got a cannabis plantation round back.

The house is insulated and has solar panels. Ive been with the same supplier for 13 years so surely they should know straight away that its not right.
Sorry don't know.
Recently got a smart meter and my bills have shot up also. I suspect my previous meter was chipped because of the increase but don't know.
I have heard that solar panels can use more energy than they produce when they go wrong but I'm no expert.
As previously mentioned turn EVERYTHING off for a few hours and see if the meter reading increases, also you mention you have an electric fire I bet that's the culprit because they use a lot more energy than you will think.
I would put money on the fact the reading has been confused from KWH to imperial measurement. That is pretty much 3.666 times as much.
The electric fire will be the culprit they burn money pardon the pun
jjmmww123/02/2020 16:24

The electric fire will be the culprit they burn money pardon the pun

I missed that in the responses. Yes, electric fires go through money like its nothing.
Deleted_23/02/2020 14:07

I dont know tbh im in a rented house, the boiler is combi. Thats all i …I dont know tbh im in a rented house, the boiler is combi. Thats all i know. The combi boiler will come on when i use the hot water .

if you have a combination boiler you won't have a hot water tank / immersion heater. they will be able to test the electric meter for you and refund you if the meter is faulty.
Willy_Wonka23/02/2020 16:13

I would put money on the fact the reading has been confused from KWH to …I would put money on the fact the reading has been confused from KWH to imperial measurement. That is pretty much 3.666 times as much.

Yep, common problem when meters are changed. Check old bills and see how the units were charged compared to now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants