Groups

Has anyone had experience with returning electricals to comet

Hi,

I bought a hoover from comet for £50 last may. It was reduced from £80, I think It was end of line.

Anyway The little belt that makes the bottom rotating shaft (that sucks the dirt up into the hoover) go round snapped a few weeks after I got it. I phoned up Vax (the manufacturers) and they were friendly and sent me out 3 more of the little belts with no questions. Anyway these all broke with a few months and I have left it until now (no idea why).

I have now decided that as it is still within the 12 months to take it back, but the little wallet I got my receipt in says that I should phone up their helpline and NOT to take it to the shop.

Has anyone had any experience with returning such items to comet and if it is end of line will they offer a refund or a suitable replacement?

Thanks

15 Comments

I stopped shopping with comet for a reason. Good luck!

However with soga you should be in a better position now, see what they say.
    Tell them you bought it from them and your contract is with them and not the manufacturer.

Original Poster

superskilly

I stopped shopping with comet for a reason. Good luck! However with soga … I stopped shopping with comet for a reason. Good luck! However with soga you should be in a better position now, see what they say. Tell them you bought it from them and your contract is with them and not the manufacturer.

What happened with you with comet, was it for a reason related to my question?

They will send it off for repair..

That hoover sucks!

Yes they will send it away...

Yes. Bad experience.

Broken phone, 3 months old, point blank refused to do anything.

Original Poster

peodude

Yes. Bad experience.Broken phone, 3 months old, point blank refused to do … Yes. Bad experience.Broken phone, 3 months old, point blank refused to do anything.

They will do something when I take my megaphone missus down their saturday afternoon when they are busy!

Original Poster

transit

That hoover sucks!

If only...

lol @ megaphone missus :-)

Phone the helpline and get their spiel, citing soga. Then, if they don't agree to a full refund, call your local trading standards department and get a reference number/advice. Go to the store with the reference number, saying you will complain to trading standards and they will relent.

I have a brilliant experience with a faulty DVD player, the fault was a high pitched noise coming from the box, I took it back when it was probably 10 months old and they swapped it no problem. Then the issue happened again another 10 months later and they gave me a gift card for the original price paid, I can't rate the service I received highly enough.
    I took it in store with the original box and original receipt, funnily enough saw the same guy both times nearly a year in between and the manager was happy to oversee and sign it all off.
    I would say try and take it into the store and explain your problems clearly and calmly and hopefully you will get the same level of service I received.

If it's within 6 months then you have a right to take it back, but they will try to get you to have it repaired but you can choose if you want to return it or not.

Funny enough, I work at the Comet help centre - not in that department though, those guys are on the floor above.

Hi jonny619447,

You would be referred to VAX in this instance as they are our third party repair agents, it isn’t that we don’t want to accept any responsibility but it is a quicker process for our customers to contact them direct, however, if this is a problem the store are able to do this on your behalf.

I have spoken to Vax direct re this matter and they have advised that to replace on this occasion it would be chargeable. If you feel it is a problem with the vacuum causing this then we need to have it inspected.

Thanks

Matt from Comet

And CometResponse proves my point. Wriggling out of their obligations in the Sale Of Goods Act and trying shift the focus to the manufacturer. They tried to do exactly the same with me.

Take it back to the shop, preferably at a busy time, so everyone else can hear the loud discussion of how terrible Comet's aftersales care is. Nothing more satisfying than seeing people that were in the queue walking out empty handed.

Original Poster

dcx_badass

As it was the same problem multiple times I believe they have to refund … As it was the same problem multiple times I believe they have to refund or replace but don't quote me on this.

Too late (_;)
    Edited by: "jonny619447" 15th Feb 2011
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …81139
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1111
      3. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2748
      4. Aloha! Flamedeer Vacation is LIVE (until August 28th at 5pm)2125

See more discussions