Has anyone had issues with On the Beach and Paypal?

Found 25th Jul 2017
Hi All,

After weeks and week of deciding, We finally agreed on a place to go on Holiday. I was in a bit of a restriction as I could only use Paypal credit when buying a holiday as I didnt want the Faff on a 0% purchase credit card (though I may have to reconsider).

Finally found a place on sunday evening in Rhodes, Greece and bought the deal which included the hotel, flights, transfers the lot via On the Beach with Paypal. Monday afternoon I get a phone call saying that the room had already been booked and would need to cancelled the transaction. Thats fine I thought, I will go home, have another look and decide from there.

Monday Evening came and get an email from On the Beach with the same hotel, flight etc. with the email titled "Can We Tempt you?". Brill i thought as maybe someone cancelled the hotel etc. and I can book again. I went through the bits and found it was £50 less (Sundays deal was £754 and Mondays deal was £704) and went through and paid with paypal. THis time I called On the Beach and was on hold for 16 Minutes.

Finally got through to someone and ask to check the booking I made was Ok as that day I had the same one cancelled. Though the guy was not helpful at all and said he couldn't do nothing and had to wait for a call tomorrow (meaning today) to check it. I was furious but hey, maybe thats the deal right?

So today come, and lo and behold the phonecall to...cancelled the holiday again. This time a combination of the hotel was fully booked and Paypal had "rejected" my payment. I argued to the girl on the phone (i did tell her it wasnt her fault specifically but the whole ordeal had been frustrating) that if it was full, why has it not been taken down since sunday? She didnt really give me a direct answer as such but said we can look for an alternitive hotel over the phone.

At this point, I couldn't care but said sure. Then all of a sudden, as if by magic, the hotel and flight, the one I tried to buy was available but at a higher price of £848 and that I could book that deal over the phone with a card but not paypal. Well I told her that if it was available why could I re-enabled the cancelled holiday that they put through or for me to go online (as I was in front of the computer) to uy it again. She said it wasnt possibly and had to do it on the phone.

I wasnt happy with this as it seemd that they didnt want to take my paypal and wanted the money via card instead. Plausible I know. I told her to cancel it and I will go else where.

Ton ease my mind, I decided to call Paypal, just to make sure they wasn't anything wrong with my Paypal credit and that the lady from On the beach was correct and Paypal rejected it. After talking to Paypal I found that 1 minute after making the booking on Minday On the Beach requested a cancellation and that Paypal did not reject the payment.

At this popint, Im very furious at On the Beach and tempted, just one more time, try and book elsewhere to see if the same thing happens again!

More than likely, its just my bad luck but has anyone else experienced this?

TL:DR: (Puts tin foil hat on) It seems that On the Beach accepts paypal payment but decides to cancel the booking in favour of over the phone booking.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
Have a look at teletext holiday on the web they often undercut most of the main operators and they are all covered by atol and abta
Try Alpharooms also, always found them cheaper than OTB (though I do prefer OTB's website search engine, normally use them to find a holiday I like and use that as the base price to beat, always beat it via Alpharooms or Travelrepublic) . They also accept Paypal but is a 1.99% charge.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 25th Jul 2017
Just thought I would add... All card cover like free holiday travel insurance you don't get if you use PayPal.. Always book direct payment with credit card so you have cover.. That's my understanding anyway..
Have used on the beach a couple of times and both times i had to call them due to my own fault and both times the problem was sorted without any problems, im thinking it was the paypal part that they didnt like for some reason
Original Poster
tasape14 h, 52 m ago

Have a look at teletext holiday on the web they often undercut most of the …Have a look at teletext holiday on the web they often undercut most of the main operators and they are all covered by atol and abta

Thanks for this, I tried Teletext and while they are pretty much the cheapest, I had to call which was a pain.

cecilmcroberts11 h, 25 m ago

Try Alpharooms also, always found them cheaper than OTB (though I do …Try Alpharooms also, always found them cheaper than OTB (though I do prefer OTB's website search engine, normally use them to find a holiday I like and use that as the base price to beat, always beat it via Alpharooms or Travelrepublic) . They also accept Paypal but is a 1.99% charge.

I didnt know they accepted Paypal but good to know for the future As I managed to find the same holiday I was going for, £100 cheaper on LoveHolidays. I also like OTB's search, its most probs the best one I have seen.

wayners11 h, 16 m ago

Just thought I would add... All card cover like free holiday travel …Just thought I would add... All card cover like free holiday travel insurance you don't get if you use PayPal.. Always book direct payment with credit card so you have cover.. That's my understanding anyway..

Free Travel Insurance? LoveHoliday has this as an extra but as I have a pre-exisitng medical condition, I need separate insurance anyway

ding10 h, 30 m ago

Have used on the beach a couple of times and both times i had to call them …Have used on the beach a couple of times and both times i had to call them due to my own fault and both times the problem was sorted without any problems, im thinking it was the paypal part that they didnt like for some reason

Im sure I was just unlucky but seemed odd. Oh well
They will not like paypal transactions due to the charges being higher then card payments for them.
cecilmcroberts

Try Alpharooms also, always found them cheaper than OTB (though I do … Try Alpharooms also, always found them cheaper than OTB (though I do prefer OTB's website search engine, normally use them to find a holiday I like and use that as the base price to beat, always beat it via Alpharooms or Travelrepublic) . They also accept Paypal but is a 1.99% charge.

Alpharooms one of my favourites doesnt come up alot on search engines, yet can be much cheaper alot of the time.
Also check out Sunshine.co.uk I found it cheaper than alpharooms on a few recent holidays.
Sandy1012

Alpharooms one of my favourites doesnt come up alot on search engines, … Alpharooms one of my favourites doesnt come up alot on search engines, yet can be much cheaper alot of the time.Also check out Sunshine.co.uk I found it cheaper than alpharooms on a few recent holidays.

Thanks for the tip, I've added it to my "holiday's" bookmarks folder. Certainly will give them a look next time I'm booking which hopefully will be in three weeks time after I return from my summer holiday.
Original Poster
Argoj2 h, 21 m ago

They will not like paypal transactions due to the charges being higher …They will not like paypal transactions due to the charges being higher then card payments for them.

Thats what I thought put I was actually paying extra because of the fee's. Maybe there are other fees too
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions