Has anyone here owned a Vauxhall 1.7 DTI?

Found 24th Mar
The time has come for a change of motor. Been looking at an Astra 1.7DTi on a 04 plate and was looking for anyone who's owned one for their opinion.

From what I've found so far the only 2 issues with this motor is the VGT can have problems with carbon buildup causing limp mode and dry solder joints on the pump EDU module which results in a non starter.

Appreciated anymore info..
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Haven't had a reply so assume it's bd53oux
Mot history shows petrol , had a few before show incorrect
Tax status shows diesel , that's the main one
Glasses trade shows ....
53 plate but 2004 registered
Vauxhall, Astra, 1.7DTi 16v LS Hatchback 5d
Trade money £230-£270 so worth a bid
I'd say it has a Isuzu engine in that which is good and will go on and on as mufc stated
Diesel engines always have black oil even after a few thousand miles so service it
A quick check shows 4 owners and hpi clear
What do I win and add me to your Xmas card list
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 24th Mar
31 Comments
By my reckoning the car will be nearly 14 years old and may have many issues that will crop up. It all really depends on the history of the car and mileage. Have a really good look at the service record and ask for any receipts for work that has been done on the car. Get under the car and see if there is any rust issues.
old car, and vauxhall is not great for old cars. if the mileage is high then it will be a risk.
Have a sneaky peak at its reg plate here for MOT history... check-mot.service.gov.uk/
Thanks for the replies. Car has covered 118k and has 11 months MOT. Been down for a look at it, all seems in order but the oil looks as black as the ace of spades. Mileage would maybe suggest an elderly person has owned it because in the last 7 years it's only averaged 2,720 a year. Oddly the gov MOT search shows it as a petrol not diesel. The plate showing as a 53 but insurance searches are listing it as a 04?

Up for £795 might see if the dealer will do £650. No harm in trying..
maybe pre-reg?
The 1.7 at that age in a Vauxhall is an Isuzu engine and is considered to be pretty much bullet proof but there do seem to be some irregularities as you have mentioned and no matter how good that engine is i would be needing to see some kind of service history or walk away.
Those Mark4 Astra's were pretty good but definitely check for irregularities if online shows as petrol and wrong year.... could be legit error or something dodgy. I'm guessing this isn't costing a fortune for a 14 year old diesel?

The issues I had were engine cutting out totally due to intermittent crank / or cam sensor (it cuts out engine until sensor cools down) - seems common and I've had this on other Astra and Corsa (always when just approaching a busy roundabout!)
Get an hpi check if you are serious about buying it. It could be registered in 04 but carry an 53 plate, ie Jan, Feb, new plates issued in March. The worry is the fuel error.
Splodger1012 h, 55 m ago

Have a sneaky peak at its reg plate here for MOT history... …Have a sneaky peak at its reg plate here for MOT history... https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

wow, i did not know of the existence of this website. good to know for future reference
Message me the reg and I'll run it through glasses business and see what it shows
mutley13 h, 31 m ago

old car, and vauxhall is not great for old cars. if the mileage is high …old car, and vauxhall is not great for old cars. if the mileage is high then it will be a risk.

Low millage could be worse than high mileage in some circumstances, I'd rather have a car that has done 100k motorway miles than a car that has done 50k town miles. Providing they're serviced well then an engine is capable of doing well over 200k without too many uneconomical repairs!. I've seen cars with well over 500k!.

A 14 year old car regardless is potentially going to have it's potential pitfalls.

Overall it's much cheaper to run an old banger about than it is to pay £25k for a new car or several thousand on lease etc.. etc... Albeit they're going to possibly be less reliable, however it probably won't have a dpf to worry about which is a good thing on an old car.

The 1.7 DTI engine is pretty decent, Ok nothing special but reliable enough and has stood the test of time ;). I've seen them with 300k on.
Haven't had a reply so assume it's bd53oux
Mot history shows petrol , had a few before show incorrect
Tax status shows diesel , that's the main one
Glasses trade shows ....
53 plate but 2004 registered
Vauxhall, Astra, 1.7DTi 16v LS Hatchback 5d
Trade money £230-£270 so worth a bid
I'd say it has a Isuzu engine in that which is good and will go on and on as mufc stated
Diesel engines always have black oil even after a few thousand miles so service it
A quick check shows 4 owners and hpi clear
What do I win and add me to your Xmas card list
Edited by: "Bradleigh" 24th Mar
Dusty7 h, 25 m ago

Thanks for the replies. Car has covered 118k and has 11 months MOT. Been …Thanks for the replies. Car has covered 118k and has 11 months MOT. Been down for a look at it, all seems in order but the oil looks as black as the ace of spades. Mileage would maybe suggest an elderly person has owned it because in the last 7 years it's only averaged 2,720 a year. Oddly the gov MOT search shows it as a petrol not diesel. The plate showing as a 53 but insurance searches are listing it as a 04?Up for £795 might see if the dealer will do £650. No harm in trying..

All diesel vehicles oil will be black even if it was changed 10 miles ago buddy
.MUFC.5 h, 11 m ago

Low millage could be worse than high mileage in some circumstances, I'd …Low millage could be worse than high mileage in some circumstances, I'd rather have a car that has done 100k motorway miles than a car that has done 50k town miles. Providing they're serviced well then an engine is capable of doing well over 200k without too many uneconomical repairs!. I've seen cars with well over 500k!.A 14 year old car regardless is potentially going to have it's potential pitfalls.Overall it's much cheaper to run an old banger about than it is to pay £25k for a new car or several thousand on lease etc.. etc... Albeit they're going to possibly be less reliable, however it probably won't have a dpf to worry about which is a good thing on an old car.The 1.7 DTI engine is pretty decent, Ok nothing special but reliable enough and has stood the test of time ;). I've seen them with 300k on.

It’ll be fine until the government walk up the tax on diesels the oldest ones could be paying 2-3 times more than their current road tax (probably more than the car is worth each year, plus repairs, plus more fuel), whilst it is cheaper running an older car the gap isn’t as big as you think....
cmdr_elito6 m ago

It’ll be fine until the government walk up the tax on diesels the oldest o …It’ll be fine until the government walk up the tax on diesels the oldest ones could be paying 2-3 times more than their current road tax (probably more than the car is worth each year, plus repairs, plus more fuel), whilst it is cheaper running an older car the gap isn’t as big as you think....

My friend took his oldish car in for service and the bill was 5k! Buying a new car would be cheaper when the repair costs get this high! He has a newer car now
mutley112 h, 6 m ago

My friend took his oldish car in for service and the bill was 5k! Buying a …My friend took his oldish car in for service and the bill was 5k! Buying a new car would be cheaper when the repair costs get this high! He has a newer car now

That is often the case when the car comes to the end of its useful life. I normally buy 1-2 year old car and keep it for a good while, my current car I bought new swapping a Fiesta with 160k on it for a 5k discount off a focus, with 2k dealer discount and 0% pcp it was a no brainier. Same price as a 1-2 year old focus with less extras as I went for the titanium model.
cmdr_elito16 m ago

That is often the case when the car comes to the end of its useful life. I …That is often the case when the car comes to the end of its useful life. I normally buy 1-2 year old car and keep it for a good while, my current car I bought new swapping a Fiesta with 160k on it for a 5k discount off a focus, with 2k dealer discount and 0% pcp it was a no brainier. Same price as a 1-2 year old focus with less extras as I went for the titanium model.

there is a break even point where the cost of maintaining the car becomes more expensive than replacing the car. at this point, it is time to get a new one. we have a pretty old car and the service bill recently was around £1,000. if it continues at this level then we will be replacing it. our problem is that it is very difficult to find a suitable replacement car as the replacement we had our eye on, a ford s-max, is diesel and i am not a fan of diesel cars and they are blighted with new legislation.

we have to wait for that to become petrol or electric.
mutley116 m ago

there is a break even point where the cost of maintaining the car becomes …there is a break even point where the cost of maintaining the car becomes more expensive than replacing the car. at this point, it is time to get a new one. we have a pretty old car and the service bill recently was around £1,000. if it continues at this level then we will be replacing it. our problem is that it is very difficult to find a suitable replacement car as the replacement we had our eye on, a ford s-max, is diesel and i am not a fan of diesel cars and they are blighted with new legislation.we have to wait for that to become petrol or electric.

Yes the diesel crack down is an issue. My new car is diesel but I can hand it back at the end of the pcp or pay 6k and own the car.

Pcp might be a good option for you.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 25th Mar
cmdr_elito15 h, 37 m ago

It’ll be fine until the government walk up the tax on diesels the oldest o …It’ll be fine until the government walk up the tax on diesels the oldest ones could be paying 2-3 times more than their current road tax (probably more than the car is worth each year, plus repairs, plus more fuel), whilst it is cheaper running an older car the gap isn’t as big as you think....

Sure, hence I've got my current 4 year old car on hpi ;). Still was much cheaper running my old car though. I just wanted something newish for a change.
mutley115 h, 37 m ago

My friend took his oldish car in for service and the bill was 5k! Buying a …My friend took his oldish car in for service and the bill was 5k! Buying a new car would be cheaper when the repair costs get this high! He has a newer car now

Why would they spend £5k servicing an old car? What was it? A Bugatti Veyron?. I'm referring to old cars under £1k. Buy them with a years test and scrap it if it becomes uneconomical to repair etc..
.MUFC.2 h, 33 m ago

Why would they spend £5k servicing an old car? What was it? A Bugatti …Why would they spend £5k servicing an old car? What was it? A Bugatti Veyron?. I'm referring to old cars under £1k. Buy them with a years test and scrap it if it becomes uneconomical to repair etc..

it was a lexus. i was aghast when he told me the bill was £5k and i told him that if it was me, i wouldn't even bother with the repairs and just trade it in for a replacement. would work out cheaper in the long run. he didn't agree and wanted to get it working again.
mutley18 m ago

it was a lexus. i was aghast when he told me the bill was £5k and i told …it was a lexus. i was aghast when he told me the bill was £5k and i told him that if it was me, i wouldn't even bother with the repairs and just trade it in for a replacement. would work out cheaper in the long run. he didn't agree and wanted to get it working again.

You could buy 5 old Lexus for that lol.
.MUFC.2 m ago

You could buy 5 old Lexus for that lol.

that is exactly when keeping on maintaining an old car becomes silly as you will save money getting a newer replacement. there comes a point when the maintenance costs for an old car becomes prohibitive and then it is time to get rid of it.
mutley124 m ago

that is exactly when keeping on maintaining an old car becomes silly as …that is exactly when keeping on maintaining an old car becomes silly as you will save money getting a newer replacement. there comes a point when the maintenance costs for an old car becomes prohibitive and then it is time to get rid of it.

Or an older none faulty one ;).
Thanks for all the replies. @Bradleigh you were spot on! Thanks for pointing out the trade price.. As it happens the dealer didn't seem happy with my £650 offer. Apparently the last MOT cost him £320 and he'd be loosing money, honest.. Must be the first trader I've dealt with ever to hold out for the asking price and not be open to negotiation.

Not to worry, onward and upward..
I think it's worth close on the asking money
Id sell that all day long down my neck of the woods @ £700-£800
Anything under a grand is a easy sale , it looks clean
I've attached a pic of garage retail from glasses guide , good luck

33514017-Soddk.jpg
What part of the country are you at Bradleigh? I was hoping he'd have come back with a counter offer but it didn't happen. Would have gone to £700.

Ah well.. Thanks again buddy..
East Sussex
I do wonder if used car prices vary throughout the country. We had family and friends in Wembley and Harrow Weald who would take a trip up to these neck of the woods back in the early 2000 to buy cars because they were quite a bit cheaper. I suspect East Sussex is quite an affluent area compared to Wrexham, not much dough around here.. Would have thought prices would reflect this?
Cars up north tend to be cheaper than down south , a few local garages to myself buy by the transporter load (8 or 9) from Leeds auctions
Tbh the cars I sell never tend to go up north either
As luck would have it £700 was enough to buy this motor. Dealer bringing it up for me tomorrow on trade plates to save the hassle of 1 day insurance and trying to get road tax. Fingers crossed it ain't a money leach! Hate buying cars, stresses me out. Maybe that's just me..
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants