Has anyone just visited Mexico, Cancun or have advice on the weather front there?

Found 24th Aug 2012
Debating whether or not to go to Cancun next month...prices are cheap but its hurricane season...

A weather prediction says its raining for the next 10 days but forums suggest weather prediction is nothing to go by and the weather is typically great. Who to believe?!

Any advice from someone who knows Cancun well or has been there recently?

To be honest my question is more about it raining constantly than the chances of hurricanes.

1. Misc
  2. Mexico
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Mexico
16 Comments

I've not been to Cancun, but I do go to Cuba every year. I'd take some of these worries about Hurricanes with a pinch of salt. We go every year to Cuba in September during their Hurricane season, the most we had of bad weather was a couple of days when it rained on the beach for about 5 or 10 minutes. To be honest although people ducked for cover, it was most refreshing, and after it was over the sun came out. It seemed to rain and thunder more at night, but was in the distance out to sea. I think you need to take it as you find it with things like this...

Banned

pretty sure itll be hot either way, maybe the odd short downpour same as most tropics

dont worry about it, water needs to be 80 degrees to form a hurricane and barely any make it to land

nhc.noaa.gov/

Banned

Bit of a gamble really

How often Cancun gets affected?
brushed or hit every 2.86 years

Average years between direct hurricane hits.(hurricane force winds for at least a few hours)
(20h)once every 6.95 years

Average MPH of hurricane hits. (based on advisories sustained winds, not gusts)
111mph

Statistically when Cancun,Mexico should be affected next
before the end of the 2014 season

Last affected by
LAST AFFECTED Oct 28th, 2011 tropical storm Rina passes over while turning N.E with 60mph winds

hurricanecity.com/cit…htm

Original Poster

casparwhite

pretty sure itll be hot either way, maybe the odd short downpour same as … pretty sure itll be hot either way, maybe the odd short downpour same as most tropicsdont worry about it, water needs to be 80 degrees to form a hurricane and barely any make it to landhttp://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

Tropical storm Isaac is heading West way!

Original Poster

FTCom

I've not been to Cancun, but I do go to Cuba every year. I'd take some … I've not been to Cancun, but I do go to Cuba every year. I'd take some of these worries about Hurricanes with a pinch of salt. We go every year to Cuba in September during their Hurricane season, the most we had of bad weather was a couple of days when it rained on the beach for about 5 or 10 minutes. To be honest although people ducked for cover, it was most refreshing, and after it was over the sun came out. It seemed to rain and thunder more at night, but was in the distance out to sea. I think you need to take it as you find it with things like this...

I am taking it with a pinch of salt...I was just about to book and literally thought I'd do a quick weather update and forecast for rain for the next 10 days put me off a bit. Or are the forecasts generally that way?

I knew what I was in for when I decided to look for holidays there but a last minute look at accuweather.com/en/…049 put me off right before booking.

Banned

Issue One

I am taking it with a pinch of salt...I was just about to book and … I am taking it with a pinch of salt...I was just about to book and literally thought I'd do a quick weather update and forecast for rain for the next 10 days put me off a bit. Or are the forecasts generally that way?I knew what I was in for when I decided to look for holidays there but a last minute look at http://www.accuweather.com/en/mx/cancun/235049/september-weather/235049 put me off right before booking.

it rains a lot but still manages to get 8-9 hours sunshine per day in sept

personally, I would go to egypt in sept if all you are after is guaranteed sunshine & beautiful beaches

Well if I went by the weather forecasts for the resort we'll going to in Cuba, I'd be tearing my hair out by now. Most of the ones I've seen appear to be inaccurate.

Although having been on tripadvisor and read some of the questions people post about weather on their forums, I'd say a lot of times it's just people getting overexcited and hyper...

I hope your holiday goes well, a friend of mine went a few years back and had a great time there...

My parents are going Aruba next month, I hear it's very safe weather wise, might be worth a look. Think it cost about £7k for two weeks.

According to my American friend that has recently returned from Cancun, it's all the rubbish on the streets and beaches that you need to worry about more.

Apparently the place is turning into a landfill site.

I would not worry too much. The chances of being directly affected are pretty small. I was in Florida for Hurricane Katrina, it just added some excitement to the Holiday.

Banned

reddit

According to my American friend that has recently returned from Cancun, … According to my American friend that has recently returned from Cancun, it's all the rubbish on the streets and beaches that you need to worry about more.Apparently the place is turning into a landfill site.

must be all the brits going there leaving their rubbish...... 23 tonnes were left on brighton beach last weekend

complete scumbags the brits.....hated worldwide

Original Poster

webcamsdemexico.com/web…tml Is pretty promising for anyone interested.

The sunrise is looking amazing!

Banned

Issue One

http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-cancun.html Is pretty promising for … http://www.webcamsdemexico.com/webcam-cancun.html Is pretty promising for anyone interested.The sunrise is looking amazing!

can you see hurricane issac yet?

Original Poster

casparwhite

can you see hurricane issac yet?

Haha not just yet, weather is looking quite good actually. Issac is supposedly below Dominican at the moment.

Banned

Two mexicans and a chain saw video will predict the weather for you.

Banned

csiman

Bit of a gamble reallyHow often Cancun gets affected?brushed or hit every … Bit of a gamble reallyHow often Cancun gets affected?brushed or hit every 2.86 years Average years between direct hurricane hits.(hurricane force winds for at least a few hours)(20h)once every 6.95 yearsAverage MPH of hurricane hits. (based on advisories sustained winds, not gusts)111mphStatistically when Cancun,Mexico should be affected nextbefore the end of the 2014 season Last affected byLAST AFFECTED Oct 28th, 2011 tropical storm Rina passes over while turning N.E with 60mph windshttp://www.hurricanecity.com/city/cancun.htm

whats the chances of a hurricane hitting a city 7 years to the day oO
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants