Has anyone managed to get a good face mask?

Posted 7th FebEdited by:"jasee"
According to the government site a good facemask should be FFP3 (BS EN149:2001). There are quite a lot online that puport to be FFP3, but I suspect these are just cheap masks which are being sold at the extortionate price at the current time, and do they reach the required standard anyway?
I contacted my local doctors pharmacy thinking it ought to be possible to buy a standard one from them but no. Likewise the local hospital. They must have supplies..
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites for £20, apparently this site has a deal with the major hospitals so got them at a knock down price
39857895-zCHyT.jpg
47 Comments
If its a reputable brand such as 3M then it should be fine.

Or (assuming you aren't travelling to Asia) just don't worry and take the same precautions you would with seasonal flu, wash your hands regularly.
See recent discussion on same subject matter.
3M cleanable with separate filters & more secure straps, breather valves etc, I have multiple boxes of them sealed away for diy & so on.

3M 6000 series, + appropriate filters & other mediums
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 7th Feb
jon81uk07/02/2020 14:51

If its a reputable brand such as 3M then it should be fine.Or (assuming …If its a reputable brand such as 3M then it should be fine.Or (assuming you aren't travelling to Asia) just don't worry and take the same precautions you would with seasonal flu, wash your hands regularly.

-Actually, I've just returned from more than a month in Japan. I'm not infected, I don't think But I'd like to send at least one to someone I know in Japan. And if it comes over here, it would be useful to have one which was somewhat more effective. The wash hands, don't touch your nose or lips, I know about, thanks
For what Coronavirus etc? Try 3M Disposable FFP2 Respirator

who.int/pub…ted
jasee07/02/2020 15:00

-Actually, I've just returned from more than a month in Japan. I'm not …-Actually, I've just returned from more than a month in Japan. I'm not infected, I don't think But I'd like to send at least one to someone I know in Japan. And if it comes over here, it would be useful to have one which was somewhat more effective. The wash hands, don't touch your nose or lips, I know about, thanks

Ah sending to someone else makes sense.
Op ..screwfix website.

& Ebay, the 6000 is about 16 quid delivered, also buy a tray of 6 oblong ffp 3 filters which you can wear till breathing gets restrictive very comfy I can wear that 8 hours easy. Tough & durable, you need to shave if it's for a guy.
Clean it out with wipes / wash n dry.
emoji4707/02/2020 15:00

For what Coronavirus etc? Try 3M Disposable FFP2 …For what Coronavirus etc? Try 3M Disposable FFP2 Respiratorhttps://www.who.int/publications-detail/infection-prevention-and-control-during-health-care-when-novel-coronavirus-(ncov)-infection-is-suspected

Should be FFP3 not 2 according to the uk government site and BS EN149:2001
Mr_Gus07/02/2020 14:57

See recent discussion on same subject matter.3M cleanable with separate …See recent discussion on same subject matter.3M cleanable with separate filters & more secure straps, breather valves etc, I have multiple boxes of them sealed away for diy & so on.3M 6000 series, + appropriate filters & other mediums

Not really the sort of thing you can wear in the streets! Even in Japan where I would say more than 60% of the people you see are now wearing masks
Fashion!? :/ or safety?
Beggar or chooser?
Offers better protection, doesn't squash & damage easily, super ight, comfy, if have no problem wearing that given the choice.
Not much different to a decent bike courier mask either, cheapo ones are a false economy & need constant adjusting.
I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites for £20, apparently this site has a deal with the major hospitals so got them at a knock down price
Douglas_Birks07/02/2020 15:43

I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites …I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites for £20, apparently this site has a deal with the major hospitals so got them at a knock down price

Fake news?
Mr_Gus07/02/2020 15:22

Fashion!? :/ or safety?Beggar or chooser?Offers better protection, …Fashion!? :/ or safety?Beggar or chooser?Offers better protection, doesn't squash & damage easily, super ight, comfy, if have no problem wearing that given the choice.Not much different to a decent bike courier mask either, cheapo ones are a false economy & need constant adjusting.

The trouble with the cheapest masks is that they give one a false sense of security. They are actually worse than nothing.The cheapest ones which I wore made you think you didn't need to hold your breath when someone coughed nearby or move way.
However i never saw anyone wearing such a mask* or anything like it and I think if anyone did it would cause panic, even in Japan, where people are usually implacable
*And I think what you and others are describing are what I would call 'respirators'
Edited by: "jasee" 7th Feb
Douglas_Birks07/02/2020 15:43

I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites …I got a bargain... 30,000 used face masks from one of the Chinese sites for £20, apparently this site has a deal with the major hospitals so got them at a knock down price

Apparently some Chinese masks sold in China had holes in them. So the Chinese who could bought masks from Japan, so lots of better quality masks are/were sold out in Japan.
jasee07/02/2020 15:56

Apparently some Chinese masks sold in China had holes in them. So the …Apparently some Chinese masks sold in China had holes in them. So the Chinese who could bought masks from Japan, so lots of better quality masks are/were sold out in Japan.

Bloody hell there's always a catch with Chinese "bargains" isn't there
Douglas_Birks07/02/2020 16:06

Bloody hell there's always a catch with Chinese "bargains" isn't there

Sarcasm aside. Most stuff is actually manufactured in China anyway of course.
My employer used to supply me with some but they weren't much good (fine dust got inside) so I bought my own.
After trying a few brands I settled on 3M 8835, they were comfortable and sealed nicely against the face and were the only ones I found that kept out all the dust, even when I wore the same one all day.
Edited by: "Delbert.Grady" 7th Feb
Finally I got a few of these, seemed a reasonable compromise

Flexinet Disposable Valved Mask P3 (32565) £4.99 apparently FFP3
The cheaper 3M seem to be out of stock everywhere.

screwfix.com/p/j…565
39857895-zCHyT.jpg
Op, the disposables are expensive & need replacing with greater frequency than to think due to water vapour, general construction of mainly paper / cotton fibres, increased dead zone from breathing out co2' loose fitting factors (air seal in pressure testing etc)
Even with a pressure valve fitted they are very prone.

A reusable is designed to be washed, dried, & have the filters re -attached.secure & adjustable, varied sizes available, & mix n match filters, separate in / out breathers reduce the dead zone, water vapour can be dried out with a paper towel, ..makes for better breathing comfort over extended periods, once you try them you rarely wish to go back to regular dust masks.
Filters in this type (eg, the 6000 series) are interchangeable amongst other models (wider availability) & allow use of glasses / masks with minimal fogging due to pressure fit & exhalation vents compared to nose clip disposables.
Out of my pp3 stock I've hardly made a dent as the breathing is very slow to become restrictive, compared to a paper mask getting damp by the action of respiration.

The cheapo over the mouth paper filters are the first to have run out in events such as the corona virus / swine flu etc.
I can snooze in mine if needed.
Far more durable & less likely to be sneered at by medical staff in a lockdown environment (e.g. Being pulled up for a raised temperature spot check having run for a train / food run.

No I'm not a prepper, but I have used these over a variety of scenarios, seasons & durations.
£13.50 respiratorshop.co.uk/pro…art

Here are your "non scarey basic p.3 filters respiratorshop.co.uk/pro…tml

They are small disks not big cartridges ..not going to scare anybody!
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 8th Feb
I was all set to recommend some of my favourite (beauty) face masks. Though my 20 year-old niece keeps going on about Coronavirus, I'll send her the Screwfix link
Join the Army … they do awesome face masks!

39860843-Nd9U9.jpg
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 00:37

Op, the disposables are expensive & need replacing with greater frequency …Op, the disposables are expensive & need replacing with greater frequency than to think due to water vapour, general construction of mainly paper / cotton fibres, increased dead zone from breathing out co2' loose fitting factors (air seal in pressure testing etc)Even with a pressure valve fitted they are very prone.A reusable is designed to be washed, dried, & have the filters re -attached.secure & adjustable, varied sizes available, & mix n match filters, separate in / out breathers reduce the dead zone, water vapour can be dried out with a paper towel, ..makes for better breathing comfort over extended periods, once you try them you rarely wish to go back to regular dust masks.Filters in this type (eg, the 6000 series) are interchangeable amongst other models (wider availability) & allow use of glasses / masks with minimal fogging due to pressure fit & exhalation vents compared to nose clip disposables.Out of my pp3 stock I've hardly made a dent as the breathing is very slow to become restrictive, compared to a paper mask getting damp by the action of respiration.The cheapo over the mouth paper filters are the first to have run out in events such as the corona virus / swine flu etc.I can snooze in mine if needed.Far more durable & less likely to be sneered at by medical staff in a lockdown environment (e.g. Being pulled up for a raised temperature spot check having run for a train / food run.No I'm not a prepper, but I have used these over a variety of scenarios, seasons & durations.£13.50 https://www.respiratorshop.co.uk/protective-masks.html/3m-6000-series-half-mask.html?options=cartHere are your "non scarey basic p.3 filters https://www.respiratorshop.co.uk/protective-masks/filters.html/2-3m-2135-p3-particulate-filters.htmlThey are small disks not big cartridges ..not going to scare anybody!

Thanks but that with the two flters fitted is totally unsuitable to wear anywhere in Japan or anywhere else in the world, I don't think,
I was looking for something that provided more protection than the thin disposable masks which I don't think provide any.
The viruses in droplets may be trapped in the mask but that is in contact with the face in a single layer mask which also leaks round the edges. At the respirator shop, all but one of the disposable types have run out. I think the one from screwfix is more practical and If you need to speak or show your face (to eat for example) it can be fairly easily droppped.
OP, dropped yes on the same elastic & in the same manner that you would do for this one.

Japan or yourself fail to see the logic, if supplies of the thin disposables have run out, (sales, & the fact that they need very frequent replacement) then you are effectively sending them a few days supply only, then in the same boat as before.
The 6000 (& beyond) half face mask keeps chugging along with little need to replace.

you can always put a smiley face on a paper mask, & you can semi customise a better one.
If I had folk I cared about out there I'd be sending them both, with a detailed explanation.
in a product starvation situation you are merely ekeing out "rations" for a few more days, with a better product you are adding time "to think" & plan moves & allow better protection for longer.

I doubt they give a damn about protocol in japan where proper filtration is required to clear out bugs with insecticide, or in a car paint shop, ..it's about adequate long lasting protection.

I wouldn't chance my arm on sub-par at a higher price as a short stop solution, & damn propriety if it comes to being able to give better assistance to others / self care ..the option for better & more durable kit would be my priority, with a hepa filter cleaning air at my doorstep contributing to positive air pressure within my domecile in a SHTF potential situation.

Presumably Nitrile gloves (tuff n touch) etc are in short supply too?.

Anyway, with luck it'll be disaster averted, I pity those stuck in Wuhan but I blame their extreme attitude towards live food markets from which this sort of thing springs from, ...no comment on the Saudi arabian version of sars (MERS) which is still present, just cheap holidays & a well marketed destination.

As I say at customs if questioned, if you staff are wearing gloves for safety reasons, don't question my choice to travel with protection in my luggage.
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 12:32

OP, dropped yes on the same elastic & in the same manner that you would do …OP, dropped yes on the same elastic & in the same manner that you would do for this one.Japan or yourself fail to see the logic, if supplies of the thin disposables have run out, (sales, & the fact that they need very frequent replacement) then you are effectively sending them a few days supply only, then in the same boat as before.The 6000 (& beyond) half face mask keeps chugging along with little need to replace.you can always put a smiley face on a paper mask, & you can semi customise a better one.If I had folk I cared about out there I'd be sending them both, with a detailed explanation.in a product starvation situation you are merely ekeing out "rations" for a few more days, with a better product you are adding time "to think" & plan moves & allow better protection for longer.I doubt they give a damn about protocol in japan where proper filtration is required to clear out bugs with insecticide, or in a car paint shop, ..it's about adequate long lasting protection.I wouldn't chance my arm on sub-par at a higher price as a short stop solution, & damn propriety if it comes to being able to give better assistance to others / self care ..the option for better & more durable kit would be my priority, with a hepa filter cleaning air at my doorstep contributing to positive air pressure within my domecile in a SHTF potential situation.Presumably Nitrile gloves (tuff n touch) etc are in short supply too?. Anyway, with luck it'll be disaster averted, I pity those stuck in Wuhan but I blame their extreme attitude towards live food markets from which this sort of thing springs from, ...no comment on the Saudi arabian version of sars (MERS) which is still present, just cheap holidays & a well marketed destination.As I say at customs if questioned, if you staff are wearing gloves for safety reasons, don't question my choice to travel with protection in my luggage.

This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what adequate protection is in the case of this virus. Your recommendation doesn't include a eye mask.
And define 'adequate'anyway.
Your filters will have a 'life'. What is it?

My question was how to get hold of a 'goverrment approved face mask' The surgeries, hospitals, emergency services etc must have supplies of these for first line use. And also have them to give to suspected infected patients to stop them infecting others.
Edited by: "jasee" 8th Feb
jasee08/02/2020 17:17

This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what …This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what adequate protection is in the case of this virus. Your recommendation doesn't include a mask. And define 'adequate'anyway.Your filters will have a 'life'. What is it?My question was how to get hold of a 'goverrment approved face mask' The surgeries, hospitals, emergency services etc must have supplies of these for first line use. And also have them to give to suspected infected patients to stop them infecting others.

Adequate = p2 for most things the standard stock & issue as I already stated ..but you clearly missed / ignored.
The is not going to give th stuff "just because you are worried" ..suggest you get a trip & think along planned lines.
P3 offers better protection than p2 ..if that isn't already understood then God help you.
When buying a mask as stated already, the separate filters are typically longer lasting & not prone to wet co2
The nhs and those removing suspected infected = first in line for these supplies of masks & protective kit.

Logic says (as already stated) but better kit change it less often based on longevity durability within application.
When shtf it's sensible to have better than standard protection based on weight & likelihood of shortages / resupply ..lack thereof.

All masks & filters have a "life" as does a packet of crisps, or a sterile wrapped catheter, bandaid, bread or beer.
The mask, AND suggested smaller filter I linked to fit a variety of professionally used masks across the world by a respected brand.

If I had to move a body in my apartment block id want better separation than a paper filter mask gives a better face seal that is slight suction fitted & has multiple points of stability & adjustment, not to mention easier to carry less crushable filter spares.

When a city is in lockdown services are sporadic to non existant, planning ahead is simple logic if you check your head.

This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what …This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what adequate protection is in the case of this virus. Your recommendation doesn't include a mask. And define 'adequate'anyway.Your filters will have a 'life'. What is it?My question was how to get hold of a 'goverrment approved face mask' The surgeries, hospitals, emergency services etc must have supplies of these for first line use. And also have them to give to suspected infected patients to stop them infecting others.

You came into this conversation saying along the lines of *I already know* ..but you clearly don't even when folk put links for masks that take pp.3 /p3 in front of you, Inc filters which make them interchangeable in a variety of situations.

Then you moan that "it doesn't look right" you want a Hermes embossed logo or protection that improves your lot?
FIT is the important thing where dust & contamination protection starts & finishes.
Read up, learn & be able to swap out the essential components, ..just to go
A. 3M site
B. Read the blogs, let's issued with reputable sites kit.
C. don't assume i those offering advice don't have experience in use of kit, or being in an area that requires it.

D. Stop being condescending to info freely given, you asked for info, you already stated you tried to buy one from the nhs & couldn't get one / some ..so logically buying from a reputable source is the next logical step, but clearly not in your case for whatever reason.

Others mentioned 3M also, this the votes are in validitywise.
Links for mask from reputable site given (one with decent info)
Links to filter example given.
You cited pp3 / p3 & "adequacy" yet question the same when put in front of you.

Some of us have been exposed to an era of Sars, foot & mouth, tuberculosis risk, & all sorts not necessarily our first ride from outside or within.

A guy working in a sewer inspecting likely has the same kit or better (according to gases, fluids & terms encountered).
As does a chemical cleaning / fumigation company

Ps, have seen traffic personnel in Asian countries wearing face form reusable masks, including japan.
jasee07/02/2020 15:50

The trouble with the cheapest masks is that they give one a false sense of …The trouble with the cheapest masks is that they give one a false sense of security. They are actually worse than nothing.The cheapest ones which I wore made you think you didn't need to hold your breath when someone coughed nearby or move way.However i never saw anyone wearing such a mask* or anything like it and I think if anyone did it would cause panic, even in Japan, where people are usually implacable*And I think what you and others are describing are what I would call 'respirators'

Respirator: an apparatus worn over the mouth and nose or the entire face to prevent the inhalation of dust, smoke, or other noxious substances.
"for a time everyone had to work with respirators"
  • an apparatus used to induce artificial respiration.

Facemask:

a protective mask covering the nose and mouth or nose and eyes.
synonyms:
protective mask · gas mask · oxygen mask · fencing mask · [More]
another term for face pack.
jasee07/02/2020 17:11

Finally I got a few of these, seemed a reasonable compromise Flexinet …Finally I got a few of these, seemed a reasonable compromise Flexinet Disposable Valved Mask P3 (32565) £4.99 apparently FFP3The cheaper 3M seem to be out of stock everywhere.https://www.screwfix.com/p/jsp-flexinet-disposable-valved-mask-p3/32565

what you bought, especially as it has a valve is essentially a respirator, regardless of the name put down for ease of location on the web for algorithm purposes & people who just "don't know".

This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what …This is NOT about adequate protection, for a start no-one knows what adequate protection is in the case of this virus. Your recommendation doesn't include a eye mask. And define 'adequate'anyway.Your filters will have a 'life'. What is it?My question was how to get hold of a 'goverrment approved face mask' The surgeries, hospitals, emergency services etc must have supplies of these for first line use. And also have them to give to suspected infected patients to stop them infecting others.

You are swings and roundabouts aren't you!? ...You bought non face mask filters that work badly when combined with glasses or masks, yet moan about half face masks / respirators then are stamping your feet because they don't have eye protection...what gives !??

The 6000 (etc) series half face works well with eye protection over the top, think I've covered that already, moto x / ski goggles any eye protection that is face forming offers extra protection, OTG goggles make it easier still for glasses wearers. ..easy to make good or "bodgineer"

Anyone who has seen ebola reportage & the risk of fluid contamination has likely seen health workers & burial crews wearing general eye protection, something being better than nothing, ski / mx goggles have foam cushioning & foam to allow some air movement through top to bottom. medical approved theatre she protection on the bus may not be that good, the specialists were often moaning their kit wasn't as good as my wife's own, e.g littman branded stethoscopes.

Military grade (for instance) doesn't necessarily mean good either, as radios, armour & vehicles testify to, precisely why so many buy better than govt issue.
FWIW
From Japan, the incubation period appears to be three weeks, not two
You can get the non paper (half face mask respirator) types on Amazon and some are still in stock - most of these tend to be rated P3 or above (which is the same as FFP3 it just indicates the non paper type) - For example the current best selling one is Force 8 Half Mask respirator - it was £17 yesterday but Amazon direct is now out of stock so it's now £21.99 from a 3rd party seller. These will last MUCH longer than paper masks which are supposed to be thrown away after a day.
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 00:37

Op, the disposables are expensive & need replacing with greater frequency …Op, the disposables are expensive & need replacing with greater frequency than to think due to water vapour, general construction of mainly paper / cotton fibres, increased dead zone from breathing out co2' loose fitting factors (air seal in pressure testing etc)Even with a pressure valve fitted they are very prone.A reusable is designed to be washed, dried, & have the filters re -attached.secure & adjustable, varied sizes available, & mix n match filters, separate in / out breathers reduce the dead zone, water vapour can be dried out with a paper towel, ..makes for better breathing comfort over extended periods, once you try them you rarely wish to go back to regular dust masks.Filters in this type (eg, the 6000 series) are interchangeable amongst other models (wider availability) & allow use of glasses / masks with minimal fogging due to pressure fit & exhalation vents compared to nose clip disposables.Out of my pp3 stock I've hardly made a dent as the breathing is very slow to become restrictive, compared to a paper mask getting damp by the action of respiration.The cheapo over the mouth paper filters are the first to have run out in events such as the corona virus / swine flu etc.I can snooze in mine if needed.Far more durable & less likely to be sneered at by medical staff in a lockdown environment (e.g. Being pulled up for a raised temperature spot check having run for a train / food run.No I'm not a prepper, but I have used these over a variety of scenarios, seasons & durations.£13.50 https://www.respiratorshop.co.uk/protective-masks.html/3m-6000-series-half-mask.html?options=cartHere are your "non scarey basic p.3 filters https://www.respiratorshop.co.uk/protective-masks/filters.html/2-3m-2135-p3-particulate-filters.htmlThey are small disks not big cartridges ..not going to scare anybody!

Spot on, so much misinformation out there
Mr_Gus08/02/2020 18:25

You are swings and roundabouts aren't you!? ...You bought non face mask …You are swings and roundabouts aren't you!? ...You bought non face mask filters that work badly when combined with glasses or masks, yet moan about half face masks / respirators then are stamping your feet because they don't have eye protection...what gives !??The 6000 (etc) series half face works well with eye protection over the top, think I've covered that already, moto x / ski goggles any eye protection that is face forming offers extra protection, OTG goggles make it easier still for glasses wearers. ..easy to make good or "bodgineer"Anyone who has seen ebola reportage & the risk of fluid contamination has likely seen health workers & burial crews wearing general eye protection, something being better than nothing, ski / mx goggles have foam cushioning & foam to allow some air movement through top to bottom. medical approved theatre she protection on the bus may not be that good, the specialists were often moaning their kit wasn't as good as my wife's own, e.g littman branded stethoscopes.Military grade (for instance) doesn't necessarily mean good either, as radios, armour & vehicles testify to, precisely why so many buy better than govt issue.

YOU suggested a respirator as 'adequate long lasting protection' but YOU didn't mention eye protection at all! If I was asking for adequate long lasting protection, I'd expect someone to suggest a full facemask.
I'm am just asking for suggestions for masks which are FFP3 and give a better level of protection that the simple one layer disposable type which pretty obviously don't provide any protection to the wearer.
In this case I think disposable ones are preferable. The outside of a respirator may be contaminated, and probably difficult to clean effectively..
This is just not English 'medical approved theatre she protection on the bus may not be that good, the specialists were often moaning their kit wasn't as good as my wife's own, e.g littman branded stethoscopes'
Edited by: "jasee" 11th Feb
Face masks make my beard sticky.
jasee11/02/2020 20:12

YOU suggested a respirator as 'adequate long lasting protection' but YOU …YOU suggested a respirator as 'adequate long lasting protection' but YOU didn't mention eye protection at all! If I was asking for adequate long lasting protection, I'd expect someone to suggest a full facemask. I'm am just asking for suggestions for masks which are FFP3 and give a better level of protection that the simple one layer disposable type which pretty obviously don't provide any protection to the wearer.In this case I think disposable ones are preferable. The outside of a respirator may be contaminated, and probably difficult to clean effectively..This is just not English 'medical approved theatre she protection on the bus may not be that good, the specialists were often moaning their kit wasn't as good as my wife's own, e.g littman branded stethoscopes'

Oh for god's sake - Mr Gus gave you really good advice, you ASKED about masks, you DIDN'T ask about eye protection. If you think the outside of a respirator may be contaminated then why would the outside of a disposable mask be any less contaminated in the same environment? You're not making logical sense!! You're also behaving like a petulant teenager and being rather ungrateful to someone who took time to try and help you.
stellamaris11/02/2020 20:53

Oh for god's sake - Mr Gus gave you really good advice, you ASKED about …Oh for god's sake - Mr Gus gave you really good advice, you ASKED about masks, you DIDN'T ask about eye protection. If you think the outside of a respirator may be contaminated then why would the outside of a disposable mask be any less contaminated in the same environment? You're not making logical sense!! You're also behaving like a petulant teenager and being rather ungrateful to someone who took time to try and help you.

He didn't actually.
No I didn't ask about eye protection because no normal member of the public is going to walk about with a full facemask, let alone a half mask. However it's pretty evident that a half mask wouldn't provide 'adequate' protection by itself.
I just asked if anyone had managed to get a good facemask.
Mr Gus has masks which he thinks are suitable. I'm very sorry but I don't think they are.
I've given plenty of advice here and posted many deals. Some people agreed with me, some didn't. I don't care.

The point about a disposable mask is (suprise) you dispose of it. Can you understand that. You don't need to worry about contamination. A respirator, you replace the filter and use again. Can you understand that logic?
jasee11/02/2020 22:54

He didn't actually. No I didn't ask about eye protection because no normal …He didn't actually. No I didn't ask about eye protection because no normal member of the public is going to walk about with a full facemask, let alone a half mask. However it's pretty evident that a half mask wouldn't provide 'adequate' protection by itself.I just asked if anyone had managed to get a good facemask. Mr Gus has masks which he thinks are suitable. I'm very sorry but I don't think they are.I've given plenty of advice here and posted many deals. Some people agreed with me, some didn't. I don't care. The point about a disposable mask is (suprise) you dispose of it. Can you understand that. You don't need to worry about contamination. A respirator, you replace the filter and use again. Can you understand that logic?

I am aware of the difference between different types of masks yes. Your question was "has anyone managed to get a good face mask", you did not specify in your original post that you only wanted answers on disposable masks (which incidentally have to be replaced every single day and are less cost effective than buying a half face respirator with filters which last SIGNIFICANTLY longer). If that's what you want to buy then good luck finding them now without getting ripped off. As for what "normal members of the public" will wear if this thing escalates I think most people will be happy with whatever protects them in the most effective way, it's not about appearances!!
Edited by: "stellamaris" 12th Feb
stellamaris12/02/2020 08:36

I am aware of the difference between different types of masks yes. Your …I am aware of the difference between different types of masks yes. Your question was "has anyone managed to get a good face mask", you did not specify in your original post that you only wanted answers on disposable masks (which incidentally have to be replaced every single day and are less cost effective than buying a half face respirator with filters which last SIGNIFICANTLY longer). If that's what you want to buy then good luck finding them now without getting ripped off. As for what "normal members of the public" will wear if this thing escalates I think most people will be happy with whatever protects them in the most effective way, it's not about appearances!!

39888773-If552.jpg
This (or something simliar to it) is the mask that Mr_Gus is suggesting. I have yet to see anyone in any of the photos I have seen outside of the laboratory wearing such a mask or anything like it. Most 'professionals' seem to be wearing disposable masks for the reason I have mentioned: they are disposable, gettit???
I can only think he must be suggesting it as a joke. Haha, Very funny I don't think.
And it may well be, the filters in such a mask may need to be replaced every day as the 'pollution' is a virus not particles of dust etc
Edited by: "jasee" 12th Feb
jasee12/02/2020 09:41

[Image] This (or something simliar to it) is the mask that Mr_Gus is …[Image] This (or something simliar to it) is the mask that Mr_Gus is suggesting. I have yet to see anyone in any of the photos I have seen outside of the laboratory wearing such a mask or anything like it. Most 'professionals' seem to be wearing disposable masks for the reason I have mentioned: they are disposable, gettit???I can only think he must be suggesting it as a joke. Haha, Very funny I don't think.And it may well be, the filters in such a mask may need to be replaced every day as the 'pollution' is a virus not particles of dust etc

It's absolutely not a joke!!!!! The mask I have looks similar to this (it is a Force 8 Half mask, you can find a photo of it on Amazon). Have a read of this PDF document - this is from the company 3M who also make these types of masks, if you look at page 2 you will see that they discuss how long the filters last for in different types of situations - they specifically mention pandemic use and mention that each set of filters should last for one "pandemic wave". 3m.co.uk/int…pdf

Oh and I have seen medics wearing these, most wear disposable ones as that's what they're typically supplied with to work one shift but I've seen increasing numbers wearing this type

EDIT - This is worth watching and may make things clearer for you youtube.com/wat…67s
Edited by: "stellamaris" 12th Feb
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants