Groups

Has anyone noticed a growing increase in essential groceries from supermarkets?

I've noticed my local Tesco have increased there prices by a good 15%+ on every day essentials such as salad ingredients (especially tomatos and cucumber) milk and bread, has anyone else noticed this?

I'm positive this is to counter react the loss leader special offers and make the money back by making a huge profit on the essentials but wasn't Sainsburys and Tesco recently done for price fixing on milk?

30 Comments

glad someone else noticed thought it was just me noticed that I dont buy any more when doing my shopping and my shopping as went up by £40 a week so I think everything has money added on and not a lot of offers anymore either.

thats why I am growing my own produce next year

its a joke. i remember basmati rice jumping from £0.98 to £1.45 for months now its back down to £0.98.

But yes food prices secretly increase.

Original Poster

bitseylango;3900942

My mum's been doing that for a while but no one eats it. :giggle:

realfriendlyman;3900971

My mum's been doing that for a while but no one eats it. :giggle:

my parents have an allotment and we have loads of stuff from them each year but I have my own veg plots ready for next year! Will save us a small fortune :thumbsup:

Makes sense in a way, with the credit crunch and recession people are less likely to spend on luxury items and save their money for essentials...put the prices up for the essentials and people are still likely to buy them.

Obviously not good for the consumer tho

acecatcher3;3901013

lol rfm what kinda thread is this haha...ur a joker!

damn you gone incognito too.

howwas the lesson.

yes i spent £50 yesterday just on neccessary stuff!!!! probably gonna last only a week

Prices have been going mad for months. I keep seeing on the news that food prices have gone up by about 4% or summat. When I look at the price of stuff I buy, some have gone up by 50% or more.

Asda brand mince, earlier this year it was £1.20, had been that for ages. its been £2.20 for about 4 months now. Its disgusting. I could go on, but I'll get mardy lol

Original Poster

acecatcher3;3901013

lol rfm what kinda thread is this haha...ur a joker!

Just trying to mix it up bruv. :giggle:

sharonwai;3901203

yes i spent £50 yesterday just on neccessary stuff!!!! probably gonna … yes i spent £50 yesterday just on neccessary stuff!!!! probably gonna last only a week

Wow.......£50 for a week.....how do you manage to do that....toiletries etc cost almost this much alone.

nikkib123;3901217

Pasta prices have rocketed!

I've noticed that as well......I think they assumed a lot of people would be spending on cheap foods such as Pasta and rice, so they've put up the prices sharply and anything that goes with it, such as pasta sauces.

ChipSticks;3901958

Prices have been going mad for months. I keep seeing on the news that … Prices have been going mad for months. I keep seeing on the news that food prices have gone up by about 4% or summat. When I look at the price of stuff I buy, some have gone up by 50% or more.Maybe it's all about stocking up or buying a HUGE freezer and buying more frozen food.....we already have a chest freezer but I like my fresh foods as well. Asda brand mince, earlier this year it was £1.20, had been that for ages. its been £2.20 for about 4 months now. Its disgusting. I could go on, but I'll get mardy lol

I've noticed things like that too......the price of chicken breasts etc seem to be going up quite a lot recently too.

Has anyone [COLOR="Red"]not[/COLOR] noticed a growing increase in … Has anyone [COLOR="Red"]not[/COLOR] noticed a growing increase in essential groceries from supermarkets?

Original Poster

Hello Mr Grammer (thesaint), how are you this evening? :-D

realfriendlyman;3902932

Hello Mr Grammer (thesaint), how are you this evening? :-D

It's "grammar", and I wasn't correcting it.

I'm fine thanks.

thesaint;3903007

It's "grammar", and I wasn't correcting it.I'm fine thanks.

Is it?... And I always thought you was a 'he'...:roll:

edna_clouds;3903095

Is it?... And I always thought you was a 'he'...:roll:

No, female.

thesaint;3903211

No, female.

Yeah right.... And me..:thumbsup:

Original Poster

thesaint;3903007

I'm glad to hear that dood.......am I making too many intentional mistakes?

bitseylango;3900942

I think we are waiting for an update aren't we??
    Potatoes grown two ways - parental advice and my advice - I think you may have swung one way!!! I KNOW that pics were promised

realfriendlyman;3900971

My mum's been doing that for a while but no one eats it.

We mums are so used to that attitude:roll:

bitseylango;3900999

my parents have an allotment and we have loads of stuff from them each … my parents have an allotment and we have loads of stuff from them each year but I have my own veg plots ready for next year! Will save us a small fortune :thumbsup:

You have done really well this year from that. Excellent stuff.
    thesaint;3903007

It can be whatever he wants to use in that context ACTUALLY. LIke Grammer as in Kelsey.
    Are you making mistakes RF Man or are you double-bluffing???:)

Has anyone not noticed a growing price increase in essential groceries from supermarkets?;-)

Inactive;3903479

Has anyone not noticed a growing price increase in essential groceries … Has anyone not noticed a growing price increase in essential groceries from supermarkets?;-)

Absolutely.

Go to aldi save a lot of £££££ :whistling:

veg box tenner a week, same for last 2 years and now get more veg than before, delivered

Hey alfonse...where do you get your veg box, and what veg do you get for your tenner? I would love to be able to grow my (our) own, but not got the space/time/fertiliser.

DonnaDoop;3939787

Hey alfonse...where do you get your veg box, and what veg do you get for … Hey alfonse...where do you get your veg box, and what veg do you get for your tenner? I would love to be able to grow my (our) own, but not got the space/time/fertiliser.

Markets are the best place, when I lived near a big sunday market at the end of the day could get 2-6 bags of fruit and veg for £2 and normally market food is better than supermarket as its not packed with preservatives! down side is it doesnt last as long

Erdinger has gone up from £1.49 to £1.60 in Morrisons.
    Raging :x

Banned

ryouga;3939893

Markets are the best place, when I lived near a big sunday market at the … Markets are the best place, when I lived near a big sunday market at the end of the day could get 2-6 bags of fruit and veg for £2 and normally market food is better than supermarket as its not packed with preservatives! down side is it doesnt last as long

Plus the food poisoning!:w00t:

I went into the local Tesco today and was amazed at the INCREASED prices on food items that have happened over the last 4 weeks.
    Baked beans up from 19p to 29p, Noodles up from 7p to 10p, Soup up from 59/68p to 85p to name only 3 items. The prices I quoted FROM were not special or reduced prices but were the norm for quite some time.
    As Tesco say "Every little helps", Tesco that is.

Cucumber £1.28 each at Tesco !!!

(its not organic and standard size)

Original Poster

Sun;4173161

Cucumber £1.28 each at Tesco !!!(its not organic and standard size)

I saw that this week as well and I was shocked.....it was 68p each late last year, so the prices have practically doubled. :w00t:

We started growing tomatoes a couple of years ago - and had REALLY great success, and it was very very easy to do.

So last year we planted Tomatoes, Strawberries, Peppers and cucumbers. Everything was much better than supermarket quality, except the cucumbers - we failed miserably with those.

My DS hates tomatoes, but will pick the ones in our garden and eat them.

Do give some veg a go at growing - especially if you have kids, it's a great learning experience and it might get them eating them too!

Anyone know of any other fruit / veg that are easy to grow?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Budget gaming pc with capability of overclock ?38
      2. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?55
      3. iPhone x53
      4. Led light bulbs. Never used them, what do I need to know?914

See more discussions