Groups

Has anyone put a laptop hard drive into an Xbox 360

My sons have 2 Xbox 360 4Gb slim models and i'm trying to put a laptop hard drive in. I've followed the instructions from you tube and everything seems to go according to the instructions but when I put the hard drive in the Xbox, it isn't found. Does anyone have any tips for me? The hard drive i'm trying is a Western Digital 500Gb.

Thanks

11 Comments

i just bought a 5tb external I'm afraid. If you have no joy just buy a cheap usb enclosure and Xbox will detect it as external storage.

Original Poster

Maverick77

i just bought a 5tb external I'm afraid. If you have no joy just buy a … i just bought a 5tb external I'm afraid. If you have no joy just buy a cheap usb enclosure and Xbox will detect it as external storage.

I've got an external drive hooked up to one of them at the moment but I'm short now for USB ports as we have Disney Infinity, Skylanders, etc portals plugged in.

Reddwarfposse5

I've got an external drive hooked up to one of them at the moment but I'm … I've got an external drive hooked up to one of them at the moment but I'm short now for USB ports as we have Disney Infinity, Skylanders, etc portals plugged in.

​I remember doing this back a few years ago on my cream Xbox 360. I'm not sure if it's still the case but i had to format the drive to be readable in the Xbox and it would only work with certain western digital drives.

Original Poster

Maverick77

Take a look at this … Take a look at this https://digiex.net/threads/hack-a-250gb-320gb-or-500gb-sata-harddrive-to-work-in-the-xbox-360-and-xbox-360-slim.3152/

Thanks. This is what I've followed so i'm thinking my drive isn't supported, although it's close to the model numbers stated.
    Edited by: "Reddwarfposse5" 9th Apr

As above you'll need a caddy and then plug it in via usb Youtube

As others have said its a lot easier to buy a caddy and use that

I bought a cheap fat 360 hard drive, ripped it open and put into a cheap 360 slim enclosure, works perfectly. only certain hard drives can be flashed to work internally.

if you hook up your laptop to the xbox, the xbox will get rid of any information on the laptops hard drive and configure it for xbox , buy a cheap External hard drive:)

Original Poster

Thanks everyone. Will go down the external hard drive route. Does anyone know if you can use a USB hub with an Xbox 360?

I done this method i would recommend it, its cheap and works perfectly
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Phone "Upgrade"36
      2. Best way to use Tesco club card vouchers?77
      3. I want some backless loafers for men11
      4. I am looking Ryman online discount code33

See more discussions