Expired

Has anyone realised Tesco are intentionally overcharging there customers?

Found 28th Nov 2011
I have completed a shop to be delivered for tomorrow and just went in to add a few more items and I noticed some pricing issues with items that's already in my basket.

I have 3 items now that are discounted, yet all of a sudden, all 3 of them are showing up in my basket above the RRP of the items, for example one item is £1.69 and being sold for £1 until next week, yet it's showing up as £2.12.

I had this happen to me last week as well and Tesco tried to overcharge me before the promotion was over.

Moral of the story is, make sure you don't trust Tesco and check your bills thoroughly, as this has happened to me practically every time I've completed an online shop.

Has this happened to anyone else recently?
Community Updates
MiscCharger
39 Comments
" mistakes" multiplied by millions of shoppers every week X 52 weeks equals many millions extra income.
Double the difference is just a cheap way of covering their tracks as most dont notice the overcharge or cant be bothered going back to CS or forget if its a small overcharge..
Original Poster
whatsThePoint

Every little helps

Exactly, that's why I'm letting people know about it, as you can imagine, if they overcharged each customer a couple quid each time they completed a shop, they'll make millions more than they're supposed to and this has happened to me too many times now.

I suspect a lot of people have been overcharged without realising.
is the £2.12 a pizza by any chance? this happened to me, went to buy some to shove in freezer as they were so cheap but kept coming up at £2.12!
I ALWAYS check my receipt now at Tescos - have had too many mistakes lately. Found it is easier to check them at the side of the till so you can go straight to customer services because if you wait until you get home they cheekily query what you actually bought. I would say every other shop I do I am wasting 10 minutes going to cs to sort the bill out. The usual problem is on offers bogof etc where the free item has been added.
it works both ways - just checked my receipts a few days ago and noticed the by 1 get 2 free choc packs(£4 each) had deducted £9 instead of £8.
Original Poster
gemmybobs

is the £2.12 a pizza by any chance? this happened to me, went to buy some … is the £2.12 a pizza by any chance? this happened to me, went to buy some to shove in freezer as they were so cheap but kept coming up at £2.12!

Nope, one is a pasta dish, another is deodrant and the other is a curry sauce but overall, they workout nearly £5 more than it's supposed to, which is why I am urging everyone to check there receipts properly.
Banned
WTF!

OP, why are you doing grocery shopping and not your partner? (or does he not like grocery shopping too!)

I'm so glad I don't have these problems! X)
Original Poster
patience_1

I ALWAYS check my receipt now at Tescos - have had too many mistakes … I ALWAYS check my receipt now at Tescos - have had too many mistakes lately. Found it is easier to check them at the side of the till so you can go straight to customer services because if you wait until you get home they cheekily query what you actually bought. I would say every other shop I do I am wasting 10 minutes going to cs to sort the bill out. The usual problem is on offers bogof etc where the free item has been added.

Yeah, it happens a lot instore as well and they always make out it's a genuine mistake but this company makes £100's of millions, surely they can invest a bit more time in there systems.

Every time it happens instore, I end up wasting about 15 minutes trying to get it sorted out and then I have to walk around with the assistant, which is embarrassing, as some of the staff don't have a clue what they're doing, so sometimes I don't even do it but it's happening too much now.

With my online shops, I've either had missing items that has been charged to me or I always find I have been overcharged on a few items and then it takes a few emails, as well as a couple weeks turn around to get them to fathom the issue and refund the difference.

I think they should be taken to Watchdog for the constant overcharges.
Original Poster
guv

WTF!OP, why are you doing grocery shopping and not your partner? (or does … WTF!OP, why are you doing grocery shopping and not your partner? (or does he not like grocery shopping too!)I'm so glad I don't have these problems! X)

Mate, you know my girlfriend is prettier than yours, so don't go there.
the last couple of times ive used tesco online, ive added my shopping, then gone back the next day to add more, then all of a sudden items that i added yesterday (and i know my local sells them) are no longer available for ever&ever till the end of time
I've had a similar problem which involved fraud by their checkout staff - they tried it a couple of times.

Went into a central London Tesco Express and on each occassion they first of all put a Euromillions on my shopping as I approached the till as that doesn't require scanning and all they need do is press the button on the screen for it and then they start scanning my items. As they queue is usually long I always roughly add my items up so knew straight away that it was 'over'. He apologised when I queried what I was asked to pay and without even looking at the shopping in the bag he knew immediately what to take off!

I complained via the Tesco website that this was obviously a fraud and that the whole place must be at it as the tickets would be printed after their shift as they would have kept a tally of how many they had bought. One week later the tills had all different people on them but I got no response from Tesco.
Original Poster
splatsplatsplat

the last couple of times ive used tesco online, ive added my shopping, … the last couple of times ive used tesco online, ive added my shopping, then gone back the next day to add more, then all of a sudden items that i added yesterday (and i know my local sells them) are no longer available for ever&ever till the end of time

Yep, me too, the buy 1, get 2 free items have disappeared as well, even though it was fine before....how can they know this a couple days in advance and surely they can get more instock quickly but shouldn't they try to have enough stock for these promotions?
Original Poster
dga

That's because you haven't had to beat her with your belt buckle. Young … That's because you haven't had to beat her with your belt buckle. Young love, ahh!

Oh wow, I knew Guv was a Spurs fan but I had no idea that he was so violent....should of known really :P
I AVOID TESCO AT ALL COSTS.
Original Poster
Ppee

I've had a similar problem which involved fraud by their checkout staff - … I've had a similar problem which involved fraud by their checkout staff - they tried it a couple of times.Went into a central London Tesco Express and on each occassion they first of all put a Euromillions on my shopping as I approached the till as that doesn't require scanning and all they need do is press the button on the screen for it and then they start scanning my items. As they queue is usually long I always roughly add my items up so knew straight away that it was 'over'. He apologised when I queried what I was asked to pay and without even looking at the shopping in the bag he knew immediately what to take off!I complained via the Tesco website that this was obviously a fraud and that the whole place must be at it as the tickets would be printed after their shift as they would have kept a tally of how many they had bought. One week later the tills had all different people on them but I got no response from Tesco.

Wow, that is unbelievable....I'm starting to think we should all write to Watchdog about our complaints, as this is beyond unacceptable.

After my complaints about being overcharged and having proof, they then gave me a dropcall on a unknown number and sent me an email saying they tried to call me to resolve the problem and then did the same thing again the next morning.

I can prove the call was a very quick dropcall, so I sent them an email to say I was going to take it further, as they're clearly trying to make out that they tried to resolve the complaint but I was obviously unavailable, so it's not there fault.

They've done this to me before as well, so it's unacceptable that they're doing this to customers intentionally.
patience_1

I ALWAYS check my receipt now at Tescos - have had too many mistakes … I ALWAYS check my receipt now at Tescos - have had too many mistakes lately. Found it is easier to check them at the side of the till so you can go straight to customer services because if you wait until you get home they cheekily query what you actually bought. I would say every other shop I do I am wasting 10 minutes going to cs to sort the bill out. The usual problem is on offers bogof etc where the free item has been added.

Not gr8 if ur having a huge shopping spree & with children!!!! They should get hefty fines for ripping people off!!!!
monica1973

Not gr8 if ur having a huge shopping spree & with children!!!! They … Not gr8 if ur having a huge shopping spree & with children!!!! They should get hefty fines for ripping people off!!!!

It is sometimes quite satisfying finding their mistakes as it usually results in getting money back and the item free, im all for free stuff, I too check it at the side though and I go through self checkout if I can so that I can check the prices as I scan them, the amount of people who wont notice a mistake is probably huge, they just let it keep happening until someone spots it! very wrong!
Banned
realfriendlyman

Mate, you know my boyfriend is prettier than your wife, so don't go … Mate, you know my boyfriend is prettier than your wife, so don't go there.

Oh... OK. X)

Is this the one from the chip shop?
Nobody has to shop at Tesco, I don't.
Original Poster
monica1973

Not gr8 if ur having a huge shopping spree & with children!!!! They … Not gr8 if ur having a huge shopping spree & with children!!!! They should get hefty fines for ripping people off!!!!

They definitely should get fines, as it's false advertising and I'm sorry, there can't be this many mistakes on a regular basis, so we should report them for this.
Original Poster
gemmybobs

It is sometimes quite satisfying finding their mistakes as it usually … It is sometimes quite satisfying finding their mistakes as it usually results in getting money back and the item free, im all for free stuff, I too check it at the side though and I go through self checkout if I can so that I can check the prices as I scan them, the amount of people who wont notice a mistake is probably huge, they just let it keep happening until someone spots it! very wrong!

I know they're supposed to do double the difference but they never have with me and to be honest, I would prefer paying the price I'm supposed to....I really don't want to waste 10-15 minutes going through the receipt when I'm instore and then wait around for staff to turn up, then walk around and explain the price difference etc, then wait around for them to sort it out again.

The whole point of supermarkets is to have convenience to save time and money, while having everything in 1 place but I then waste that same time again, trying to get a incorrect price difference resolved.

There has been times where I've noticed when I've packed the shopping away and then realised I've been overcharged but I couldn't be bothered to go back all that way and complain for the sake of getting a refund of a quid etc.
Up until a couple of months ago, I used to use Sainsbury's but I've been using Tesco recently. They're bloody sh*t. Have done 5 online shops and each one has had something wrong with it (e.g. overcharged, spoiled food, out of date food, non-delivery...)

Sainsbury's may cost more (I'm not actually sure how much cheaper Tesco is - I just assumed it would be), but we're using them from now on. Am wary to use Asda as have heard our local store which supplies the online deliveries does as crap a job as Tesco.
Edited by: "oldmanhouse" 28th Nov 2011
I have never used home delivery but if I did I think i would stick to safe items such as tins, bulky items, dry goods.
I would always prefer to self select anything perisahable
Original Poster
dga

I am utterly gobsmacked that people think the picker will sift through … I am utterly gobsmacked that people think the picker will sift through and get you the very best produce and longest use by dates just because Mrs PNB of 24 Acacia Ave is so special to the multinational conglomerate behemoth that is Tesco.Much delusional thought here, crackhead's talk make more sense.Bunch of lazy ****!

That's unjustified completely, just because you are ordering your shopping online, doesn't mean people are lazy, they may have other obligations or don't want to take their kids shopping, while causing havoc or don't have cars etc, plus we pay to get it delivered.

I think most people assume that the shopping is packed from the warehouse, so it's produce that hasn't even hit the shelves yet, which would save time but regardless, the food should be sufficient for it's purpose.
Original Poster
gemmybobs

It is sometimes quite satisfying finding their mistakes as it usually … It is sometimes quite satisfying finding their mistakes as it usually results in getting money back and the item free, im all for free stuff, I too check it at the side though and I go through self checkout if I can so that I can check the prices as I scan them, the amount of people who wont notice a mistake is probably huge, they just let it keep happening until someone spots it! very wrong!

I know they're supposed to do double the difference but they never have with me and to be honest, I would prefer paying the price I'm supposed to....I really don't want to waste 10-15 minutes going through the receipt when I'm instore and then wait around for staff to turn up, then walk around and explain the price difference etc, then wait around for them to sort it out again.

The whole point of supermarkets is to have convenience to save time and money, while having everything in 1 place but I then waste that same time again, trying to get a incorrect price difference resolved.

There has been times where I've noticed when I've packed the shopping away and then realised I've been overcharged but I couldn't be bothered to go back all that way and complain for the sake of getting a refund of a quid etc.
dga

You didn't include cripple you racist!!But still, if you have enough time … You didn't include cripple you racist!!But still, if you have enough time to moan on a forum and are able bodied, you're just plain lazy :pI knew a guy who delivered for Somerfields, his produce was crap because he was at home playing PS3 whilst your food lay in a warm van

The thing is that unless you have managed to qualify in some way for free delivery, then you will be paying for the service. As such it is a petty bad show to be ripped off as well. Or maybe thats ok with you as well?
Original Poster
What a surprise....I was overcharged again and Tesco tried to fob it off by stating that I don't understand the "guide price", even though my shopping was delivered within the promotional period for the shopping I received, yet I was charged a higher price.

I am actually offended with the fact they've tried to make out I don't understand something so simple, yet it's them that are fobbing it off.

I think we should actually contact Watchdog about this, as they are intentionally overcharging and I guarantee that loads of people don't check there receipts as much as shop savvy customers.

hahahaha well sais:)

hooray henry

" mistakes" multiplied by millions of shoppers every week X 52 weeks … " mistakes" multiplied by millions of shoppers every week X 52 weeks equals many millions extra income.Double the difference is just a cheap way of covering their tracks as most dont notice the overcharge or cant be bothered going back to CS or forget if its a small overcharge..

realfriendlyman

What a surprise....I was overcharged again and Tesco tried to fob it off … What a surprise....I was overcharged again and Tesco tried to fob it off by stating that I don't understand the "guide price", even though my shopping was delivered within the promotional period for the shopping I received, yet I was charged a higher price.I am actually offended with the fact they've tried to make out I don't understand something so simple, yet it's them that are fobbing it off.I think we should actually contact Watchdog about this, as they are intentionally overcharging and I guarantee that loads of people don't check there receipts as much as shop savvy customers.

Tescon
Original Poster

Exactly but double the difference apparently doesn't apply to online orders.

I've now complained to Watchdog and I hope others do too, as it's not on that they intentionally overcharge customers on a regular basis and I believe they deserve a fine and to reimburse there customers.

petalsofrose

hahahaha well sais:)

Just to let you all know that I am appaulled with Tesco and as a very loyal customer will no longer be shopping there untill my situation is resolved! Yes "every little helps" especially when its in there pocket!
I recently did my christmas shopping in Tesco only to get home to discover that I had been charged £14.00 for a pez refill instead of £0.89p!!!!! I couldnt return straight to the store as I was due to go to work in 30 minutes and Tesco was a 20 min drive away so on phoneing the number on the top of the receipt was told by an automated system to bring the item and receipt back into the store and they would refund double the difference. So off to work I went, and as soon as I finished went back to the store with my Fiance and two children 6 years and 8 Months only to get a very rude lady on customer sevices tell me that without all my shopping there is nothing she can do! I was expected to go all the way home bring my shopping back to the store for them to check the items against my receipt well I was not happy to do this at 7:30 pm when my kids should be in bed, so I asked to speak to the manager. He's reply was that he couldnt do anything as it was showing on my receipt refill £14.00 when he scanned it and printed it off it was showing pez refill £0.89p and he's store records also showed that he hasnt sold any pez refill's today. Well thats funny because im holding one in my hand I thought. Anyway the gist of the matter is they wouldnt refund anything! I was accused of being a fraudstar and there was nothing he could do even though he kept saying he can really understand my situation. So as of now a letter is on its way to head office for them to deal with the matter, I will no longer be shopping at Tesco untill the matter is resolved! and now im spreading the word on how appauling there customer service is! If I was a fraudstar do you really think I would take my two children back to the store when I have just finished work at 7:30 at night for £13.11p!!!! No I would go alone and it would be for more than £13.11p!!!!! Im disgusted and appauled!!!!!! So would tell everyone to check there receipts before leaving the store and also check items whilst they are scanning them! "Every little helps" Yes it does and thats why they have record profits this year, as if they have been doing this to everyone then just think of all them pounds in THERE pocket not ours!!!!
mwhitbread86

Just to let you all know that I am appaulled with Tesco and as a very … Just to let you all know that I am appaulled with Tesco and as a very loyal customer will no longer be shopping there untill my situation is resolved! Yes "every little helps" especially when its in there pocket!I recently did my christmas shopping in Tesco only to get home to discover that I had been charged £14.00 for a pez refill instead of £0.89p!!!!! I couldnt return straight to the store as I was due to go to work in 30 minutes and Tesco was a 20 min drive away so on phoneing the number on the top of the receipt was told by an automated system to bring the item and receipt back into the store and they would refund double the difference. So off to work I went, and as soon as I finished went back to the store with my Fiance and two children 6 years and 8 Months only to get a very rude lady on customer sevices tell me that without all my shopping there is nothing she can do! I was expected to go all the way home bring my shopping back to the store for them to check the items against my receipt well I was not happy to do this at 7:30 pm when my kids should be in bed, so I asked to speak to the manager. He's reply was that he couldnt do anything as it was showing on my receipt refill £14.00 when he scanned it and printed it off it was showing pez refill £0.89p and he's store records also showed that he hasnt sold any pez refill's today. Well thats funny because im holding one in my hand I thought. Anyway the gist of the matter is they wouldnt refund anything! I was accused of being a fraudstar and there was nothing he could do even though he kept saying he can really understand my situation. So as of now a letter is on its way to head office for them to deal with the matter, I will no longer be shopping at Tesco untill the matter is resolved! and now im spreading the word on how appauling there customer service is! If I was a fraudstar do you really think I would take my two children back to the store when I have just finished work at 7:30 at night for £13.11p!!!! No I would go alone and it would be for more than £13.11p!!!!! Im disgusted and appauled!!!!!! So would tell everyone to check there receipts before leaving the store and also check items whilst they are scanning them! "Every little helps" Yes it does and thats why they have record profits this year, as if they have been doing this to everyone then just think of all them pounds in THERE pocket not ours!!!!

Annnnnnnnnd Breathe.
thats nothing i did a tesco shop lots of stuff was out of stock meaning i now have to do a second shop at asda to replace them, the special offers of 2 two litre drinks for £2 were charged double so they charged me £32 for instead of the £16 it was meant to be just for the drinks, then they didnt have some pork pies in the order but charged me for them anyway. they stole £20 from me from one online shop.
I have been using Tesco for my online grocery orders for several years. 3 weeks ago I noticed that they had charged me full price for 2 items that were meant to be half price. The expiry dates of the offers were after the delivery date. I emailed Tesco to complain but it took them 2 weeks to reply and the "customer service" man's answer was that the price shown when ordering is just a guide price. I repeated that the offers had not expired but he argued with me and basically said that they can charge what they like on the day of delivery. No apology and no refund. He didn't even back down when I threatened to shop elsewhere. What a con trick! I noticed on here that people had had problems with this before but has anyone else noticed this overcharging recently?
This has happened to me dozens of times on many different products. I believe strongly that this no mistake they're making millions every week from ripping off their loyal customers with low quality and high priced often inedible crap they call food. I live in Telford a new aldi has recently opened I tried it, I spent £18 on regular groceries and the same items in tesco came to £27 and the food was much better quality. So I'm finished with tesco.
santosboi

This has happened to me dozens of times on many different products. I … This has happened to me dozens of times on many different products. I believe strongly that this no mistake they're making millions every week from ripping off their loyal customers with low quality and high priced often inedible crap they call food. I live in Telford a new aldi has recently opened I tried it, I spent £18 on regular groceries and the same items in tesco came to £27 and the food was much better quality. So I'm finished with tesco.

cool story bro - well worthy of bumping a 2 year old thread oO
thanks to tescos I now check my grocery receipt's. many times the have charged full price on discounted offers.
Buy one get one free is another name for overpriced single items
I have had this problem today for the second time in two weekly shops I was charged twice for one item the checkout operator was very rude and more or less accused me of lying in front of a queue of people and when I asked for a supervisor none was available I said I would phone and complain and she said you do that disgusting attitude, this was at Iceland
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants