Has anyone successfully haggled with Dfs for a better price?

Found 1st Feb 2016
I have seen a sofa and matching chair I want to buy from them but the ' sale ' price is only £50 cheaper than the normal retail price. Has anyone successfully haggled with them or does anyone have any tips please? Also, is it easier to haggle if you pay outright or if you go for their free finance option. (I know some places want you to take the finance option) All help is much appreciated!
Community Updates
AskPrice Glitch
13 Comments
I have always been told that DFS do not haggle and they would by far want you to have the finance rather then pay cash, so no joy there.
had ours 3 years and cushioning has flattened they use cheaper leather for different parts
Original Poster
Argoj

I have always been told that DFS do not haggle and they would by far want … I have always been told that DFS do not haggle and they would by far want you to have the finance rather then pay cash, so no joy there.

​Hmm, that's annoying! Thanks for taking the time to reply though
Original Poster
steevojohno

had ours 3 years and cushioning has flattened they use cheaper leather … had ours 3 years and cushioning has flattened they use cheaper leather for different parts

​Ah, ok. Thank you for that. Maybe I'll keep looking to see if I can find something of better quality then.
I just happened to unzip the base of our chair and was shocked at the shoddy workmanship. never seen so many protruding staples and thin softwood and hardboard, cushions out of shape from new , feet don't sit on all corners I could go on. not the answer you are looking for but just a warning. oh avoid Harvey's too.
Original Poster
caverncity

I just happened to unzip the base of our chair and was shocked at the … I just happened to unzip the base of our chair and was shocked at the shoddy workmanship. never seen so many protruding staples and thin softwood and hardboard, cushions out of shape from new , feet don't sit on all corners I could go on. not the answer you are looking for but just a warning. oh avoid Harvey's too.

​Crikey! oO More good advice, thank you. It seems I need to look elsewhere really.
I successfully haggled with them, although it was about 5 years ago. Asked if I could get a discount paying cash which they refused. They knocked me 10% off if I took out finance instead, got my sofa and paid the finance off immediately. They honestly didn't want cash!
Wanted 3 sofas and 3 single chairs for 3 rentals from a house conversiin. No haggle and did not want cash either.

Found a better deal locally and, IMHO, better quality. So DFS is not somewhere we will revisit.
Original Poster
Thanks everyone for all your help. Some very interesting info here which I really appreciate
I got a discount in SCS for an absolutely lovely L shaped leather sofa, only took 9 weeks instead of the quoted 12 too. We paid cash, they said they couldn't offer a discount on finance. It's well built, solid and just a bit too comfy. Have a shop around.
No but if you're lucky very rarely they'll have a sale on!

We got one from SCS that was £1,600 on sale we got it down to £1,299 over 3 years no interest and stain and ripping cover protection (kids)
I've had my 2x 2 seater leather recliners from Harvey's about 4 yrs ago, to date still perfect.
I couldn't haggle price but they did give me 2 leather cleaning kits and 12mths free insurance for accidental damage.
I've had and also know people who have problems with the big three who advertise on TV. I actually took our one year old suite made at CSL (now Sofaworks) and had it recovered and the supports bolstered.

I have a fantastic suite now, however if I was buying a suite again I'd buy a second hand suite and get it recovered and bolstered for support, as I've been frankly unimpressed with the quality in some of the sofas these big companies are supposed to offer.

Edited by: "FTCom" 1st Feb 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants