has anyone taken a hamster to the vet recently ?

Found 7th Sep 2012
just wondering what sort of price they charge ?
our hamster has developed some lumps and bumps

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
46 Comments

No, but no doubt it will cost substantially more than the cost of a new hamster.

Original Poster

danmc

No, but no doubt it will cost substantially more than the cost of a new … No, but no doubt it will cost substantially more than the cost of a new hamster.

that was my thinking , but it doesn't seem right not taking him in

Can't you just phone your vet? Mine always give a quote if I call them

Try not to drop it so much

Daft question, but the lumps arent compressed food in his cheeks are they?

Original Poster

honeyb35

Daft question, but the lumps arent compressed food in his cheeks are they?

i may have my blonde moments but even i'm not that stupid

Original Poster

jellybaby22

Emm..it wouldn't be "not right" it would be very cruel.My vet charges £24 … Emm..it wouldn't be "not right" it would be very cruel.My vet charges £24 consultation fee ( any animal) plus cost of treatment. If you keep any pet you should be willing to pay for its vet treatment. Just my opinion

and i respect your opinion , i was just wanting to know how much vets are

£15 to kill mine - cancer

purple22

i may have my blonde moments but even i'm not that stupid

Wasn't implying you were, I know of a few people who've been worried in a similar way, only to find that was the cause.

http://www.foxy-shop.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/q293912_my_hamster_-_gregory1.jpg

http://climatex.org/media/images-image-image/Brick.jpg

http://i46.tinypic.com/2rrkvud.jpg

http://thewhoot.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/436px-wheelie_bin.jpg

Banned

It depends on how gone the picture is with him wearing the onesie

jonny619447

jonny619447 you are one SICK individual!!!

THAT'S A RECYCLING BIN FFS!

Mallinersha

jonny619447 you are one SICK individual!!!THAT'S A RECYCLING BIN FFS!

Be alright, just hide it in a cereal box. They will be none the wiser
Edited by: "jonny619447" 7th Sep 2012

We took our 3 year old gerbil in years ago for a lump, they said the risk of surgery is very high, they wanted £65 for removal, they are usually pretty expensive as well.

Banned

Don't worry OP the hamster just going through puberty. Perfectly normal to develop lumps n bumps

http://www.fubar-rock.net/images/hamster.gif

jonny619447

http://www.penlon.ukfsn.org/powza.gif

splatsplatsplat

Splat x3 your new avi is epic, it's the real thing!

This is all very interesting but more importantly I am interested to know- can this hamster ride a miniature bicycle?

jonny619447

This deserves more upvotes.

I took my female hamster to the vet's with lumps, to find out it was a male thats why it had lumps!!! DUHHH (True!!)

dxx

This deserves more upvotes.

Upvotes??

Reddit is that way >

Mallinersha

Upvotes??Reddit is that way >

Ah, ty. Have an upvote.

its going to cost you hundreds for an operation! You should pay £15 a month for hamster insurance.

I took my hamster to the vet because it didnt have lumps.

its going to cost you hundreds for an operation! You should pay £15 a month for hamster insurance.

monkeydribble

its going to cost you hundreds for an operation! You should pay £15 a … its going to cost you hundreds for an operation! You should pay £15 a month for hamster insurance.

Or a fiver a month for a new hamster.

Remember people want to be vets to save the little animals, ah sweet
Then they realise they can F*ck you over by screwing as much money out of you as possible so youre beloved pet doesnt suffer. Cunning money loving barstewards

Hi purple,

You should definitely take your hamster in, but you should prepare yourself for some news which you may not want as when small rodents develop lumps and bumps they are generally cancerous in nature. I used to breed both hamsters and gerbils and have had my fair share develop tumours; they seem to be quite common in small rodents. It may be something benign, sometimes luck will be on the animal's side; however, usually when they are removed they tend to grow back again within a couple of months and then you're faced with the decision to put the animal to sleep.

Apologies, I don't want to sound negative but more to give you a heads up that your hamster may be nearing the end of its life.

All the best.

hooray henry

Remember people want to be vets to save the little animals, ah sweet … Remember people want to be vets to save the little animals, ah sweet :3Then they realise they can F*ck you over by screwing as much money out of you as possible so youre beloved pet doesnt suffer. Cunning money loving barstewards

To become a vet, you have to go through at least five years of higher education with, a cost of around £20,000. Add in the costs of being a student and not really being able to earn much money, and any aspiring vet can easily have sunk some £30k+ before they can even start looking for their first trainee positions. These aren't your typical Tesco minimum wage monkeys, who can be drafted in with a day's worth of training. The sort of experience and knowledge you need in a vet doesn't come cheap.

And that's not to mention the infrequency of custom and the enormous running costs of a vets.

roof30

Hi purple,You should definitely take your hamster in, but you should … Hi purple,You should definitely take your hamster in, but you should prepare yourself for some news which you may not want as when small rodents develop lumps and bumps they are generally cancerous in nature. I used to breed both hamsters and gerbils and have had my fair share develop tumours; they seem to be quite common in small rodents. It may be something benign, sometimes luck will be on the animal's side; however, usually when they are removed they tend to grow back again within a couple of months and then you're faced with the decision to put the animal to sleep.Apologies, I don't want to sound negative but more to give you a heads up that your hamster may be nearing the end of its life.All the best.

Is chemotherapy an option?

If the animal isn't in pain and nearing the end of it's expected life then I would just make sure it's happy and take things as they come. With hamsters I doubt there is much vets can do anyway so I would just make sure the hamster is has fresh food, fresh water, clean bedding and when it looks in pain/acts funny/stops breathing then take things from there.

Was at vet the other day and a women was there with a shoe box and she kept looking in, she got called in and came out with the shoe box. The hamster had sadly passed away, it was called nibbles and is no more. Best thing was they charged her 6.50 to have it cremated hahaha.

jonny619447

Is chemotherapy an option?

Absolutely.

http://www.thefourcharms.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/sanyo-em-c6786v-silver-microwave-oven.jpg

We took our hamster to vet about 2 years ago and was £17 consultation fee and £15 for antibiotics as he had an infection, vets said was up to us if tried antibiotics or they could put him to sleep for £15, tried antibiotics but he died 2 days later anyway : (

Original Poster

thank you for all your replies , some more amusing than others

our tickles is 2 years old so we are prepared for the worst , and i think medical intervention could make things worse for him , he still runs around and is eating and drinking

I hope he recovers ok. I would definitely take an animal to the vets if they appeared to be in pain or discomfort.
It is a sad fact that many people cannot afford the additional costs if their pet gets ill and this is really something that needs to be taken into account when pet ownership is initially considered.

When any animal gets a serious illness the cost of treatment will almost always be more than the cost of just replacing an animal. But in my mind that it not what pet ownership is about.

Whenever I hear tales such as this however I my mind also turns to the way human healthcare is funded in this country. Sorry but this is a big hobby horse of mine. People need to be aware just what an asset a free at the point of need health service is. Every step should be taken to ensure it remains that way especially in a time of budget cuts.

Just imagine the thought of not being able to treat a sick child or family member.

Around £20-£25 at our local vets

http://files.sharenator.com/PrairieDogMurder_The_best_of_Dramatic_Prairie_Dog-s199x163-67879-580.gif
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants