Has anyone used a Grey gloss on skirting boards ?

Found 15th Apr 2016
I was looking at Urban Obsession by Dulux and it has terrible reviews,one person said they had to use 4 coats,now I don't want to paint them that many times,has anyone any recommendations please,maybe Farrow & Ball ?
Community Updates
AskBoard GameSkirt
11 Comments
we have Urban Obsession but not gloss. the normal one. didn't need 4 coats....
Original Poster
I don't know if it's because it's quick drying and not non drip gloss that it needs so many coats,I expect to do 2 coats if it's covering White,but I really don't wanna be doing 4

Very disappointed with Dulux. Paint is very thin. Needed four coats to look right. On the plus side, it is very quick drying and managed to get all coats on in one day. But still time consuming.
deb8z

I don't know if it's because it's quick drying and not non drip gloss … I don't know if it's because it's quick drying and not non drip gloss that it needs so many coats,I expect to do 2 coats if it's covering White,but I really don't wanna be doing 4 :(Very disappointed with Dulux. Paint is very thin. Needed four coats to look right. On the plus side, it is very quick drying and managed to get all coats on in one day. But still time consuming.

Quick dry = water based usually thinner.

Non drip = oil based. Usually thicker.

I would not take the reviews to heart as if you think about it the likelihood is they are trying to paint grey onto a white existing skirting board. Also probably not using the correct undercoat (grey) if using one at all. Preperation is more key than just trying to get it painted. Might cost a little more but will save time and more money in near future trying to fix it.
Original Poster
bigweapon07

Quick dry = water based usually thinner.Non drip = oil based. Usually … Quick dry = water based usually thinner.Non drip = oil based. Usually thicker.I would not take the reviews to heart as if you think about it the likelihood is they are trying to paint grey onto a white existing skirting board. Also probably not using the correct undercoat (grey) if using one at all. Preperation is more key than just trying to get it painted. Might cost a little more but will save time and more money in near future trying to fix it.

I never thought about an undercoat,I was just going to paint the Grey over the top arghhhh
Use Valspar from B&Q. Much better quality paint.
Original Poster
exmouthred

Use Valspar from B&Q. Much better quality paint.

Are you joking,have you seen the huge thread regarding that oO
Original Poster
kester76

I you thought about satinwood instead of gloss as it could give you a … I you thought about satinwood instead of gloss as it could give you a better finish ? Check out http://www.watfordpainterdecorator.co.uk/gloss-vs-satin-vs-eggshell/

No I hadn't thought of Satin either,I tried Eggshell last year for the first time & I hate that,it's so dull.
Farrow & Ball I've heard is an excellent paint with good results but at a cost.

As previous preparation is the important part, sand, sugar soap, undercoat, top coat, gloss/satin/eggshell? Personal choice re finish but I prefer satin, each to there own though.
deb8z

Are you joking,have you seen the huge thread regarding that oO

Its a good read is that thread but no one should read into it much as we could quite easily start a dont buy dulux thread or dont buy crown thread and come out with exactly the same context. What is being disregarded on that thread is the millions that have used it with no issues so i guess like anythibg else dont knock it till youve tried it X)
Original Poster
Advice taken,Grey Leyland undercoat used with the Dulux Urban Obsession and it only needed one coat on top of the undercoat,I love the colour but I don't love the smell of it,it still smells four days on
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions