Has anyone used pro Camera shop before?

Found 28th Oct 2011
Has anyone used this website before?

procamerashop.co.uk/

Are they legit and any good?
Community Updates
MiscCamera
226 Comments
Based on the WHOIS info I am not sure I would.

Whois Information For: procamerashop.co.uk

Domain name:
procamerashop.co.uk

Registrant:
Smart Choice Photo Ltd

Trading as:
ProCameraShop

Registrant type:
Non-UK Corporation

Registrant's address:
Flat/Rm 813, 8/F
Hollywood Plaza
610 Nathan Road
Kowloon
Hong Kong

Registrar:
Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG]
URL: http://www.123-reg.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 20-Aug-2009
Renewal date: 20-Aug-2013
Last updated: 05-Aug-2011

Registration status:
Registered until renewal date.

Name servers:
ns.123-reg.co.uk
ns2.123-reg.co.uk

WHOIS lookup made at 13:14:06 28-Oct-2011

Of course there might be a totally explainable reason why the registrant's address is in Hong Kong but it could also mean they are shipping stuff from HK and if that's the case warranties may not be valid etc or could be fake.

I will be happy to eat my words though if someone shows them as good to use. Just making assumptions (rightly or wrongly).
Edited by: "CyDoNiA" 28th Oct 2011
CyDoNiA

Based on the WHOIS info I am not sure I would.Whois Information For: … Based on the WHOIS info I am not sure I would.Whois Information For: procamerashop.co.ukDomain name: procamerashop.co.ukRegistrant: Smart Choice Photo LtdTrading as: ProCameraShopRegistrant type: Non-UK CorporationRegistrant's address: Flat/Rm 813, 8/F Hollywood Plaza 610 Nathan Road Kowloon Hong KongRegistrar: Webfusion Ltd t/a 123-reg [Tag = 123-REG] URL: http://www.123-reg.co.ukRelevant dates: Registered on: 20-Aug-2009 Renewal date: 20-Aug-2013 Last updated: 05-Aug-2011Registration status: Registered until renewal date.Name servers: ns.123-reg.co.uk ns2.123-reg.co.ukWHOIS lookup made at 13:14:06 28-Oct-2011Of course there might be a totally explainable reason why the registrant's address is in Hong Kong but it could also mean they are shipping stuff from HK and if that's the case warranties may not be valid etc or could be fake.I will be happy to eat my words though if someone shows them as good to use. Just making assumptions (rightly or wrongly).

Thank you for that, on that information i would guess the camera's are probably grey imports, which i think i'll avoid.
Yeah it's a safe assumption. Could be wrong but generally if the prices are very very good and the company is regged in HK chances are it's greys.

Problem is too many of them around now and hard to see the good ones from the bad. Lately though I must admit Jessops have been good prices for me. Even discounting prices to match or atleast get close to online retailers. Might just be I have a good manager in my local though.
CyDoNiA

Yeah it's a safe assumption. Could be wrong but generally if the prices … Yeah it's a safe assumption. Could be wrong but generally if the prices are very very good and the company is regged in HK chances are it's greys.Problem is too many of them around now and hard to see the good ones from the bad. Lately though I must admit Jessops have been good prices for me. Even discounting prices to match or atleast get close to online retailers. Might just be I have a good manager in my local though.

Well I'm looking at the canon 550D and jessops do have an alright deal on it at the moment but amazon seam to be the cheapest.
Speak to Jessops instore and tell them that you would prefer to use them (if you do) and ask if they can get closer to that deal. I think Jessops online might match Amazon but the store may not.
Avoid, avoid, avoid!! My husband bought me a 7D from Pro Camera Shop in December having no idea it was a grey import (call me naive but I honestly had no idea there was such a thing as a grey import until very recently). A couple of weeks ago the camera stopped turning on and Pro Camera Shop's response was to say we should send it to a Canon repair place - at our own expense. We are still waiting to hear back from the Canon repair place in Colchester but fingers crossed it's fixable and won't be too expensive. Not sure I have the time or energy to engage with Pro Camera Shop at this point. Just hope I get a working camera back in my hands soon!
Well I have made 4 purchases from Procamershop and have been delighted with the service and product on all occasions. Never had to take anything back but, retailers vary so much on this any way. Will I buy from procamera again? Absolutely.
have to say that when looking at 'pro' gear i am personally happy enough to accept an import and save £500... my issue was more to the point of whether pcs actually exists and do goods turn up? this seems to have been answered by CEEDOG above but of course any one of us could be in the employ of the company !
I have bought from them, 7d to be exact, was dubious just like everyone else at first. Hearing an English accent at the other end of the phone tho, unlike simply electronics reassured me more. If n e one wants to contact me personally do so thru my site lensi.co.uk I'm def not an employee of the company!
hi i was thinking of a canon 7D or 5D and some lenses from procamerashop but not sure about trusting that amount of money on line especially if i go for the 5D, does any one know for sure if canon would invalidate the warranty, I believe from other posts that the cameras definitely come from Hong Kong, are there any other known issues / differences in the product i.e. start up language Chinese wrong charger plug etc. does any one know if grey imports blocking by manufacturers is legal in a global market, I used to repair laptops and some of the laptops came to me from foreign students and i still got support and parts for in and out of warranty machines as they had a world wide warranty sensible as lap tops are meant to be moved around and so are cameras
You'd need a UK invoice in order to make a warranty claim. Have a look at hdewcameras.co.uk/ind…asp although they sell imports any warranty repairs are carried out at a Canon authorised centre and their cameras come with a 3 year warranty.
So far I've bought 3 lenses for my 7D from Pro Camera Shop. Every time the service has been excellent. They kept me informed at every stage of the purchase and dispatch/delivery. Orders placed on Thu or Fri arrived on Mon or Tue respectively. Absolutely brilliant. All three lenses have been working fine. I probably saved at least £600 by buying from them! No brainer. Obviously not sure what would happen if any of the lenses stopped working, but with the amount saved I was happy to take the risk.
Most likely shipped in from HK much like digitalRev. your item will be stopped when entering the country and you will have to pay import tax.

They dont make this clear on the website.
sold faulty goods which appeared to be refurbished, camera started on over 1500 accusations, and there was a problem with the processor so lots of images lost or damaged, i contacted them on 2 weeks after purchase and they would not issue a refund, had to go through bank and google checkout and took 3 months for me to get a refund, and even after pro camera shop were trying to charge a 8% repackaging fee so they could then sell the faulty item on again to another customer, this would have been a fair amount (camera was a 5d mk 2 at £1300) i threatened to take legal action and told google and they cleared this charge but said to google when they mentioned it that i was a 'delusional customer' and refused to acknowledge that the camera was faulty not a return, even though they knew this and had been told and shown example images, and been given evidence direct from canon (who i contacted) saying it was faulty and should be returned for a refund, which should be valid for at least a year after purchase. will never use again and never recommend
Just spoke to them and all products are shipped from Crawley so there is no import tax. All items come with a 1 year manufacturers guarantee too.
The Canon 7D arrived yesterday, just three days after ordering. Superb service, with emails informing me of delivery. And a 20% saving over the best UK dealer price. I was pleased it came complete with English instruction book, & UK mains lead for the charger. The camera menu screen was initially set to Chinese, but five minutes with the instructions showed that selecting the menu, & going across three & down two, & it was easy to change. And I registered the serial number with Canon UK without problem.
Many thanks, I will use Procamerashop again.
[I bought a Sony Zeiss 24-40mm SAL Lens. They were £00.00 cheaper than anyone else and £400.00 cheaper than sony. None of the Sony stores even hold the lens in stock for inspection.

Always answered phone promptly. Didn't deduct funds until item despatched.

The lens arrived as promised with tracking via ups.

No issues at all. Great value.

[
Have used to buy a canon speedlite EX600rt. Arrived promptly, no problems. They are probably grey imports but that doesn't bother me and they are sent from the U.K so no problems with import tax. Would recommend.
Be VERY careful with this company! They are NOT strictly UK based as the lead you to believe, apart from a rented office & phone line, they are based in Kowloon.
They are not paying the same taxes & VAT as most kosher suppliers are, hence the savings. Also check with HMRC if you don't believe me, that you ARE liable to import duty & VAT if your purchase is stopped.

Most products ARE grey imports & contrary to what they say, their warranty is nowhere near as good as the manufacturers. Indeed some manufacturers won't even touch a product for warranty work if supplied via this (or any non EU) company. I've checked!
Any warranty work will be vie their repairer, hence the missing warranty papers which should be provided with the products.

Also check any purchases from outside the EU with the manufacturer by trying to register it & see if they give it the all clear. Some imports from Asia have had forged (not incorrect, but FOEGED) serial numbers & also some products seem to be `used` & not brand new.

Do not be tempted to purchase by BT to save the odd couple of % & give up any legal protection, pay by credit card!

They also scour negative reviews on sites & threaten legal action if the post is libelous to get them removed, so i've kept this post to the minimum & not posted specifics in order to not give them reason to have it removed.
You have to search fairly deep through many weeks/months of OTT reviews to find the issues, or ask on a specific site, eg for cameras go to a photographic site.

BUYERS BEWARE!.
i bought a 150 - 500 Sigma lens; they offered me one that had a damaged box for £50 less than normal price, i accepted.
there was a fault with the lens, i phoned and they replaced immediately, in fact the free collection of the damaged lens was done that afternoon.
i cannot fault there srvice.
the staff on the phone are efficient,, polite and very helpful.
would definalely use again
This is not the main issue with this company though, it's only one issue. There are other, more proffesional, trustwothy places to purchase equipment.
Don't be fooled by the dozens & dozens of positive reviews either. One of the main sites allows OTT reviews without the need to actually purchase anything (hmmmm?)+ removes the more serious negative reviews if they are asked/threatened.

Buyers beware!
Oh btw, They even point out taxes/import duty etc is your responsibility, in capital letters, in their T&C's under `conditions of use`. Take a look!.
I got a lens from them at the end of last year - took a few days longer to come than i hoped but it did state on their site they were upgrading stuff and i ordered on a holiday but still was with me within a week!

I paid via credit card for back up should anything go wrong!

Not sure if i would buy a grey import camera body but i will be buying another lens from Pro Camera Shop!
After a negative review was posted yesterday (subsequently removed Hmmm?) there were another 3 OTT `reviews` quickly posted today,(6/2/13) on review centre, presumably to bump the other down.

Other reviews don't quite ring true either. Posters searching hard for best prices & buying from Hong Kong, when they could have bought the same product from UK suppliers slightly cheaper & with better warranties.

I wouldn't even contemplate using a company like them.
I was thinking about ordering a 5D III kit. It was a toss-up between digital Rev or procamerashop, but I've seen positive and negative reviews for both so now I'm not sure what to do!!

btw RobrocPhoto1 - you obviously seem like on of their competitors, what's the best price you can do for the 5D markIII? LOL
Edited by: "lenny73" 7th Feb 2013
Hi lenny. Hey you make up your own mind, but I know which of the 2 i'd choose.
I'm defo not a competitor, just an amateur photographer pointing out quite a few issues, some serious!

`camera price buster` is a good site for comparing prices; http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/mcp.php?n=CanonDigitalSLRs=&mc=1

If you do purchase from Asia, try to register the camera with Canon. They'll also tell you if it's new & unused & the serial numbers are legit.
I would say try the Pro camera shop in Carlisle, I purchased a Canon 650D turned up in 3 days with a canon lens - registed the guarantee with Canon - No probs.
It was a lot cheap than others on the web [but it was just released] and with 6 weeks other companies were selling the same item for, what I originally paid for it.
As for Grey imports [nonsense] - if mine was a grey import it would have been a Canon Rebel T4i [overseas model - although exactly the same model as the 650D just diffent name] - I ordered a Canon 650D and thats what I got.
Just beware some speak with forked tongue on here! (_;)
Decisions Decisions!

Although I've seen some good things about Panamoz, I've heard some other horrendous things that have really put me off buying with them!

I just called digital rev and pro camera shop. Couldn't get through to DR but PCS were quite helpful with my questions regarding how the warranty works. Might take Cameraman23's advice but I do like Digital Rev's videos! More deliberating needed i think
Cameraman2.
P-shop are NOT based in Carlisle they only have a rented office & phone line. They are based in Hong Kong!

Please read the whole thread re issues reported by others.

`Forked tongue` lol
Also check out talkphotography and overclockers (amongst other sites) & ask for their experiences/advice.
RobrocPhoto1

Cameraman2.P-shop are NOT based in Carlisle they only have a rented … Cameraman2.P-shop are NOT based in Carlisle they only have a rented office & phone line. They are based in Hong Kong! Please read the whole thread re issues reported by others.`Forked tongue` lol

They are do different to other Photographic sellers, they import from the far east supplier, they all do [even Jessops did]!
People get confused on what is a grey import.
As I said previously Canon grey imports would be Canon Rebel models.
Pro Camera only sell Canon uk models - I have one and these are backed by Canon via their warranty.
I cannot sayanything regarding any other products that Pro Camera may sell, only can firmly say I have had dealing with them in the past and never had a problem and I have no link to them apart from purchasing Canon items from them
Yes, they have a unit in Carlisle and yes that's where my Canon came from.
Edited by: "Cameraman2" 7th Feb 2013

Mr Potato Head on here has just bought a 5D and Lens from Panamoz, he is … Mr Potato Head on here has just bought a 5D and Lens from Panamoz, he is over on showusyourphotos ask him for some advice maybe?

Thanks for the tip Haritori

I did try calling them a couple of times today but it just went though to VERY American sounding voicemail. I'll try and call them again tomorrow but I definitely feel more comfortable if I can talk to somebody on the phone.

They are do different to other Photographic sellers, they import from the … They are do different to other Photographic sellers, they import from the far east supplier, they all do [even Jessops did]! People get confused on what is a grey import. As I said previously Canon grey imports would be Canon Rebel models. Pro Camera only sell Canon uk models - I have one and these are backed by Canon via their warranty. I cannot sayanything regarding any other products that Pro Camera may sell, only can firmly say I have had dealing with them in the past and never had a problem and I have no link to them apart from purchasing Canon items from them Yes, they have a unit in Carlisle and yes that's where my Canon came from.

cameraman2. They ARE different from most other sellers, in that they truly don't have a good reputation.
They get many negative reviews deleted by threatening legal & imho they `spam` many good reviews.

I think it is you that don't understand/confused about `grey` imports. (btw, it is you the purchaser that is the importer, not them. As previously posted,check on their site under their terms of use. They spell it out in capital letters!)
The products that are sent via the UK are mostly `grey` & posted out via a middle-man. (in Crawley I think)

They don't pay UK taxes or VAT, that's why most items are cheaper obviously, which is one reason kosher UK companies are struggling to compete. (btw, Jessops did not sell grey imports, they were from EU suppliers, just like the other kosher suppliers use)

If your purchase is stopped/checked you are liable to pay taxes of around 20%, although the chances are slim, especially with mis-labelling of goods as Toys etc..... HMRC are tightening up on these practices.though.

Not all Canon imports are `rebels`, they are the USA versions.

Buyers of EU/UK items need to check that they haven't been supplied with a `refurb`/previously sold & returned item. Serial numbers should be checked on the camera, on the packaging & on the exif data to make sure they match.

I checked with Canon & they will not undertake any warranty work on `grey` camera bodies. I believe Nikon, Sigma etc...operate the same policy.
Manufacturers warranties of 2 or 3 years, are far superior to p-shops 1 yr (which also won't be with Canon UK)

I'm glad you've never had a problem btw, but your camera did NOT come from Carlisle, I can assure you of that, they don't have a `unit` there!!!! lol

Edited by: "RobrocPhoto1" 7th Feb 2013
Why do people want to slate another dealer, simply because the dealer sels cheaper than others?
Why is it then when I buy a new product [a very new Canon 650d now Canon warranty] these people still want to say all that Pro Camera shop do is sell grey imports, - No they don't, they sell Canon products.....
As I said earlier I cannot vouch for other products Pro camera may sell as I only bought Canon products from them!
These have been excellent and I have had no problems what so ever.....
I also buy vaccum valves [for my audio amp] via American they come from the same China factory as the ones sold here in the UK, except I am paying a third for them?
New cars sold here are also vastly overpriced to those in Europe.....
Who's the mug, its called rip off Britain!
No, some of us will buy from those that cut out the middle man..... Why should I pay more because I live in Britain?
Cameraman2

Why do people want to slate another dealer, simply because the dealer … Why do people want to slate another dealer, simply because the dealer sels cheaper than others?Why is it then when I buy a new product [a very new Canon 650d now Canon warranty] these people still want to say all that Pro Camera shop do is sell grey imports, - No they don't, they sell Canon products.....As I said earlier I cannot vouch for other products Pro camera may sell as I only bought Canon products from them!These have been excellent and I have had no problems what so ever.....I also buy vaccum valves [for my audio amp] via American they come from the same China factory as the ones sold here in the UK, except I am paying a third for them?New cars sold here are also vastly overpriced to those in Europe.....Who's the mug, its called rip off Britain!No, some of us will buy from those that cut out the middle man..... Why should I pay more because I live in Britain?

Cameraman2
The idea of sites like this is to provide each other with information, good and bad.(hopefully a balanced view)
If someone tells me they've had a bad experience & explains why, i'll take note of the pitfalls & carry on doing a bit more research & be thankful to them for the heads-up.
If I start to find there are quite a few serious negatives, alarm bells ring!
It's too easy to just read OTT 6* reviews & believe them all, when it's so easy for a seller to `spam` dozens of good reviews in the hope the negative reviews will be overlooked, or indeed removed.

If i'd known about these issues before dealing with these c..boys, id have saved myself a lot of hassle, but at least I can offer my experience & hopefully warn others. If no one wants to listen, that's fine too. .

The reason I replied to you last time was to correct you on a a few points & so others can make an informed decision on the facts (which you either didn't know, or possibly trying to persuade others?)

If you want to buy imported cameras, there are sites with much better provenance/track-record & customer service out there. Digital review (who pay the import taxes/VAT) and pan0moz, to name just two.

I just find it a tad strange that you are so defensive about p-shop????

I go along with cameraman2, I have just purchased my Canon EOS650D from Procamera at a price that beat anything on Amazon etc.
Delivered this week by UPS with tracking all the way.
Paid with credit card which gives me all the security I need.
The problem with these forums is the most that come on it want to complain about......
Those that receive what they ordered very rearly say anything on forums as they are busy playing with their camera.
fergy123, it is nice to hear that you are also happy with your Canon EOS 650D from ProCamera.
As I said I can only vouch for Canon products sold by ProCamera.
Cameraman2. If you go on the reviewcentre & other so-called independent review sites, the contrary is true, so maybe that proves most are `spam` then eh?

Also you can't actually vouch for Canon products, sold by p-shop, only the one YOU supposedly purchased.
My & others experiences were contrary to yours & unfortunately not uncommon, but they are valid issues!.

Again, I find it puzzling why you are so defensive about p-shop???? Buyers don't usually protest so much about a simple purchase, especially when they SEEMED not to know they were not based/had a unit in Carlisle + not knowing the facts about `grey` imports & tax/duty liability .....tbh, if that was me i'd feel a little conned & wary for next time, especially when I find out the seller gets the serious negative reviews removed.

If I purchase from a seller & i'm happy, i'll write a short review, then that's it.
If I later read negative reviews of that seller & the issues being highlighted, i'll take note of them for my next purchase & decide if there might be a problem, or not.
I certainly wouldn't be posting to that sellers defence & trying to persuade any one else, either way.

fergy 123, i'm very pleased you had no problems & hope you won't need to deal with them re any warranty issues. At least you used commons sense & credit card Vs a couple of quid saved to give up any rights of redress.

RobrocPhoto1 - It does sound like you are linked to a dealer?
Look why cannot you just admit there are those like fergy123 and myself who have purchased Canon products from ProCamera and received what we ordered and have had no problems with ProCamera.
You will just have to admit there are those of us that are happy with our products from ProCamera....
I only came onto this site to put a positive view on all this negative nonsense that all products sold by ProCamera are either Grey imports / not what you ordered / second hand or refurbished models.
As I have said, I have purchased Canon only products from ProCamera - Canon EOS 650D and EOS 18-55IS lens, so I can vouch for these products.
So I can recommend ProCamera to anybody if they are wishing to buy Canon [fergy123 seems to back this up]

It does feel as though you are just on a vendetta.....
Shame, as life is just too short.....
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants