Has anyone's credit score been affected by these O2 refresh deals?

Found 31st Aug 2015
Thinking of getting an iPhone 5C on O2 refresh and do the whole paying off device plan and cancelling the contract thing. I remember on a couple threads people had said about O2 making mistakes and charging them fees and stuff appearing on their credit score. I've got a clean credit score at the min and don't want to ruin it for a £150 phone. Anyone else had any experience of this?
Community Updates
6 Comments
one tiny blip on ur credit rating isnt going to destroy it... besides companies dont want prestine credit candidates as how will the finance actually make them money. charges and fees and a decent risk profile is what they want..
It has affected my daughters credit score - Experian records "instalment" credit, which the handset payment counts as. O2 will not mark it is settled even though it is completely paid, and this has had a negative effective. It wasn't enough to stop her getting a mortgage, but some lenders (e.g. TSB) don't like it.
Butterbean

It has affected my daughters credit score - Experian records "instalment" … It has affected my daughters credit score - Experian records "instalment" credit, which the handset payment counts as. O2 will not mark it is settled even though it is completely paid, and this has had a negative effective. It wasn't enough to stop her getting a mortgage, but some lenders (e.g. TSB) don't like it.

So does that mean everyone getting O2 contracts (all are now refresh deals as far as I know) is getting marks on their file for a phone contract. A lot of people getting these refresh deals wouldn't haven't a clue of the possible implications.
leelukehope

So does that mean everyone getting O2 contracts (all are now refresh … So does that mean everyone getting O2 contracts (all are now refresh deals as far as I know) is getting marks on their file for a phone contract. A lot of people getting these refresh deals wouldn't haven't a clue of the possible implications.

I'm sure (I hope!) that they will mark it as settled eventually, it was just unfortunate that at the time she needed a decent credit score they hadn't done it. They have said they can mark it as cancelled, but as far as I am aware that won't help the credit score in the way that something being settled does.
leelukehope

So does that mean everyone getting O2 contracts (all are now refresh … So does that mean everyone getting O2 contracts (all are now refresh deals as far as I know) is getting marks on their file for a phone contract. A lot of people getting these refresh deals wouldn't haven't a clue of the possible implications.

No.
I used to underwrite for mortgages, credit cards and business cards and I would always ignore mobile phone data on customers credit files.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants