Expired

Has CEX Sold Me Fake Bose Headphones

Found 28th Feb 2014
Here's the image;
brain.pan.e-merchant.com/0/1…jpg

Notes ive picked up on the ones that ive just received from CEX;
[Images to follow below]
The BOSE logo on the front top, the Registered Trademark is under the long line of the 'E' (in Bose) on the ones ive just had arrive, its on the end of 'E'
The white arrow bit on the front, the original image shows a perfect cut, where as mine the cut cuts through the top and into the white (so its not aligned)
Also the "Designed for Ipod" is on the wrong hand side. On mine its on the right, on the image above (genuine retailer) its on the left.

Ive found the following image of a set for sale on Gumtree (bad example, but its the only image of the back I can find)
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/3vMAAOxyOMdS9hKt/$_79.JPG

The "Bose.com" in the bottom right hand corner appears to be indented about an inch in that photo, where as mine its right aligned (very little space between the edge and the text)

I dont even know why im asking, because if my suspicions are correct, they're just going to refuse them and say I switched them or some rubbish like that.

Whats peoples experience with CEX and fakes?
Community Updates
18 Comments
Original Poster
Genuine
http://brain.pan.e-merchant.com/0/1/08513610/l_08513610_004.jpg

GumTree Ad
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/3vMAAOxyOMdS9hKt/$_79.JPG
Original Poster
I cant get my photos to upload, but heres the exact same ones as mine (with the Made for IPOD white label on the bottom switching places with the above 'real' photo) and the (R) trademark symbol in the wrong place on the BOSE logo

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5550/11871483473_28a57078c0_o.jpg
Original Poster
Similar photo and can you see what I mean about the white arrow on the right hand side being "Cut into" rather than being perfectly cut out

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Bose-MIE2i-headphones-Brand-new-and-sealed-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/fJwAAOxyOlhS6Zkm/$_35.JPG
Stick them in your ears and see what they sound like.

CEX will sort it out because they can be done for selling a fake item.
Original Poster
aircanman

Stick them in your ears and see what they sound like.

They were bought as 'Sealed' and the internal bit that you take out the box is sealed plastic.

If I open them, I dare say that will make them refuse them even more.

aircanman

CEX will sort it out because they can be done for selling a fake item.

I doubt it. From what Ive read online, they sell proven fakes all the time - so even if I did complain to the right people (OFCom? Trading Standards?) whats going to happen?

Shut down CEX?

Get me a refund/replacement?

Or secret answer 'C' which is none of the above.
Inform them via email before you open the packaging to seek their opinion. Possibly worth emailing Bose with photo's. Sometimes products are packaged differently for different markets.
The Therapist

Inform them via email before you open the packaging to seek their … Inform them via email before you open the packaging to seek their opinion. Possibly worth emailing Bose with photo's. Sometimes products are packaged differently for different markets.

I agree-I had a similar suspicion with Smashbox makeup that was actually bought at Boots-Smashbox were really interested in the case and my suspicions turned out to be unfounded, as they had just changed their packaging manufacturer.
Original Poster
Seems to only be telephone numbers... Anyone happen to know some sort of contact details for Bose/this sort of thing?

bose.co.uk/GB/…us/
Original Poster
Brilliant!

http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/customer_service/site_help/index.jsp

The counterfeit products and their packaging are extremely close in appearance to genuine Bose products, but they do not meet the high standards of performance found in genuine Bose products. Counterfeiters go to great lengths to make their products look like genuine products. They include warranty registration cards in the packaging, and apply serial numbers to the products that copy genuine Bose serial numbers to make them look authentic. They have even copied the hologram sticker that Bose applies to its products to assist us in identifying fake products. It is extremely difficult to distinguish fake products from the real ones. If you believe that you may have purchased counterfeit Bose products, we encourage you to contact Report_Counterfeits@bose.com so that we may be able to assist you in determining whether the product is counterfeit.
There will be slight differences in the packaging depending on where it is made and which country it is going to, I still stand by what I said earlier, Trading Standards would have a field day if you took that to them, fake goods are usually pretty high up on the list. Just take pictures with dates of the opening, or better still video it.
https://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/secure/contact-us/Send-us-a-message/

Select counterfeit product from drop down list.
Silhouette

Brilliant!http://www.bose.com/controller?url=/customer_service/site_help/index.jspThe counterfeit products and their packaging are extremely close in appearance to genuine Bose products, but they do not meet the high standards of performance found in genuine Bose products. Counterfeiters go to great lengths to make their products look like genuine products. They include warranty registration cards in the packaging, and apply serial numbers to the products that copy genuine Bose serial numbers to make them look authentic. They have even copied the hologram sticker that Bose applies to its products to assist us in identifying fake products. It is extremely difficult to distinguish fake products from the real ones. If you believe that you may have purchased counterfeit Bose products, we encourage you to contact Report_Counterfeits@bose.com so that we may be able to assist you in determining whether the product is counterfeit.

Did you get anymore info?
Original Poster
Bose havent replied, but CEX have.

Usual spiel about how they vigorously check etc and if I return them, it will be investigated.

But the comments of "It could just be the box design for my country/where these particular models are made", so will wait to hear back from Bose first.

If I do return them - the refund process takes about 20 days anyway, so holding on to them whilst I wait for Bose wont hurt me any more.
Original Poster
Bose replied.

Set out a load of observations, pictures, references, comparisons.

They responded "We cant search fakes by simply a serial number" (?!?!)

Im starting to think its perhaps me - because every company ive dealt with in the last month have been muppets.
Silhouette

Bose replied.Set out a load of observations, pictures, references, … Bose replied.Set out a load of observations, pictures, references, comparisons.They responded "We cant search fakes by simply a serial number" (?!?!)Im starting to think its perhaps me - because every company ive dealt with in the last month have been muppets.

Well they cant. The serial number on yours might be a genuine serial number from a genuine pair of headphones.
Original Poster
The joke was more that I sent them a detail email with observations, comparisons, images, etc.

Then finished the email with "And if it helps, heres the serial number"

And they replied with "We cant search fakes by simply a serial number".

Tosh.
Original Poster
After a "You cant be serious" reply to their rubbish email I now received:

While the carton can be a good indicator, the product itself is a better indicator. Can you please send me the following:

1. The 5 digit code on the “Holospot” located on the Y-joint where the left and right cords meet. (a good clear photo would be best)
2. A photo of the above Holospot label
3. A photo of the code on the ear bud (or if you cannot get a clear photo, the number will suffice.
4. A photo or your actual box including top end flap, entire bottom end flap (where the serial number appears), front of the box.

Your serial number does track as valid and is not on our list of known counterfeit serial numbers. However, that is not definitive, so the above information will be most helpful to me.
Original Poster
Too late now though, as ive already sent them back.

Couldnt risk opening the sealed plastic 'innards' of the box.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions