Has it become the norm for companies to mess consumers about when it comes to refunds?

Found 16th Dec 2017
Argos messed up! I turned up at the Sainsbury's collection point for my paid for Item to find there was an unexplained error. Item was still showing as available to order for collection next day but Sainsbury's couldn't just get another ordered, told I'd have to cancel existing order and then reorder.
Only.. I've spoken to 3 different people now who have all told me they'd get it sorted (by calling Sainsbury's!?)) but none of them have. Why am I being told by Argos that the refund needs to be issued by Sainsbury's, but Sainsbury's tell me the opposite?
I won't be using them again.

A couple of weeks ago I had as similar experience with b&q...even being told that I'd have to travel. to a store to get refunded when I'd paid online.

So am I just unlucky or has it become commonplace and acceptable these days for companies to mess you about? Is it deliberate? Do they think by making it as hard as possible folk will give up and they can just keep the money?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
10 Comments

Yes seems to be the norm. Hardly anyone takes any accountability thus mistakes are constantly made.

Pay better, treat staff better and business quality improves. Simples.

Got a skateboard worth £110 online.. it said 2 days delivery. Tracked with Hermes.. said it was delivered to my letterbox (yes a skateboard to my letterbox ok) .. it wasn't at my property when I returned from work.. so who's faults this.. the company are making me fill out a denial of receipt or something but surely they should just have things like that signed for.. ?

Winds me right up...
This could have been a big xmas gift for some kid and I might not have the money to fork out for other things and they've already taken about a month to send me the paperwork.. god knows what happens next or how long it will take to get a replacement!!!!

I usually have this problem with Amazon too.. the amount of parcels I've never received is ridiculous.. And I don't even live in a dodgy neighbourhood Lol! 😑😑
My favourite is when they leave things in recycling bins but don't tell you.. I could have sent stuff off to the recycling centre by accident!!!!

Always use a credit card, if you have problems claim back via the credit card company.

bingebunny1 h, 11 m ago

Got a skateboard worth £110 online.. it said 2 days delivery. Tracked …Got a skateboard worth £110 online.. it said 2 days delivery. Tracked with Hermes.. said it was delivered to my letterbox (yes a skateboard to my letterbox ok) .. it wasn't at my property when I returned from work.. so who's faults this.. the company are making me fill out a denial of receipt or something but surely they should just have things like that signed for.. ?Winds me right up... This could have been a big xmas gift for some kid and I might not have the money to fork out for other things and they've already taken about a month to send me the paperwork.. god knows what happens next or how long it will take to get a replacement!!!! I usually have this problem with Amazon too.. the amount of parcels I've never received is ridiculous.. And I don't even live in a dodgy neighbourhood Lol! 😑😑My favourite is when they leave things in recycling bins but don't tell you.. I could have sent stuff off to the recycling centre by accident!!!!

I bought a cheap CCTV system from Amazon and have it pointed towards the door, so I can rewind and see if deliveries have been.

Had one from UPS once that claimed they'd delivered it, but CCTV showed otherwise. Sent them evidence at that time period that no one had been.

Next thing I know, it turned up and it was explained that the Driver had "made a mistake"

Sounds like you need to be a tad more forceful in your face to face encounters

cmdr_elito45 m ago

Always use a credit card, if you have problems claim back via the credit …Always use a credit card, if you have problems claim back via the credit card company.

You can do a chargeback on a visa debit card for non-delivery, goods not as described, etc. Purchases over £100, all or part paid by Credit card additionally benefit from section 75 of the CCA protection

===> which.co.uk/con…ack
Edited by: "melted" 16th Dec 2017

chuffedfox45 m ago

I bought a cheap CCTV system from Amazon and have it pointed towards the …I bought a cheap CCTV system from Amazon and have it pointed towards the door, so I can rewind and see if deliveries have been.Had one from UPS once that claimed they'd delivered it, but CCTV showed otherwise. Sent them evidence at that time period that no one had been.Next thing I know, it turned up and it was explained that the Driver had "made a mistake"

Great idea but is it REALLY my fault when none of these companies stick to their delivery days/times or you have such a widespread delivery slot or the tracking is useless, or the companies simply don't put a good enough delivery system in place for such large items?

Recently I had a new phone delivered and they used PDP as their delivery service, from the second I woke up that day I was able to see what number I was in the delivery queue, and an estimated time of delivery AND I could track my driver (and even see his face and name!) There was also alternatives available if I wasn't to be in, I could rearrange to be delivered to a local pick-up spot or post office.. I haven't experienced this with any other companies as of yet and I totally think it was the best delivery service I've ever had! I literally watched him go up the prom near where I live and in and out of streets and when he was around the corner, I popped my shoes on and waited for him..
It probably makes the delivery drivers a day a lot easier too :D! All hail PDP lol

Maybe if this time doesn't turn out in my favour I will have to waste money on some CCTV just so I can prove myself.. or catch a thief if that may be the case! That'll be a whole different ball game then though won't it.. ZzzZzzzZZzzz

chuffedfox56 m ago

I bought a cheap CCTV system from Amazon and have it pointed towards the …I bought a cheap CCTV system from Amazon and have it pointed towards the door, so I can rewind and see if deliveries have been.Had one from UPS once that claimed they'd delivered it, but CCTV showed otherwise. Sent them evidence at that time period that no one had been.Next thing I know, it turned up and it was explained that the Driver had "made a mistake"

I bought a £16 1080p IP Camera that takes a micro sd card for recording in the black friday sales partly to capture delivery attempts. I'm now waiting on delivery of an sd card before I mount in on the wall.

bingebunny3 h, 32 m ago

My favourite is when they leave things in recycling bins but don't tell …My favourite is when they leave things in recycling bins but don't tell you.. I could have sent stuff off to the recycling centre by accident!!!!

What really annoys me is when the delivery driver throws a parcel over the fence, chucks it in the bin, or gives it to a distant neighbour or whatever, but doesn't even bother to post a note through the door to tell you where you might find it.

I once had a fairly expensive printer delivered that spent nearly a week out in the rain, until I phoned the company to complain about non-delivery, because the driver had dropped it over a 6 foot fence and it had landed in the gap between the fence and an old coal bunker where it couldn't be seen and hadn't bothered to leave a note.

The worst delivery we've had though, was various fibreglassing tools and supplies including a large plastic drum of polyester resin which the courier company had punctured, but decided to deliver anyway.

The courier had tried to deliver it at the crack of dawn to the wrong address, halfway down the street on three occasions, my dad guessed it was for him and got out of bed early and just managed to catch him on his third attempt. He claimed to have the wrong delivery address on his schedule and tried to blame us, despite it being right on the parcel.

He got more annoyed when we noticed the hole and leaking resin and we refused to accept it and blamed us again because it supposedly wouldn't have been damaged if we'd accepted delivery on his first two attempts (at the wrong address).

He then trod in leaking resin and got even more annoyed while moving resin soaked parcels out of the way, including a woven rug, while complaining about the smell. When we asked why they even loaded it on the truck since they obviously knew it was leaking, and contained flammable and hazardous toxic chemicals (resin, styrene,acetone, ipa, + bottles of catalyst) he claimed they were contractually obliged to deliver it.

Worst of it was that the company sent a replacement order packaged in an extra heavy duty cardboard box to protect it, and the couriers managed to punch a hole straight through it with a forklift tine, rupturing the resin again!

Third attempt and they sent a metal drum, the courier manage to partially crumple that, but didn't succeed in puncturing it .

melted13 m ago

What really annoys me is when the delivery driver throws a parcel over the …What really annoys me is when the delivery driver throws a parcel over the fence, chucks it in the bin, or gives it to a distant neighbour or whatever, but doesn't even bother to post a note through the door to tell you where you might find it.I once had a fairly expensive printer delivered that spent nearly a week out in the rain, until I phoned the company to complain about non-delivery, because the driver had dropped it over a 6 foot fence and it had landed in the gap between the fence and an old coal bunker where it couldn't be seen and hadn't bothered to leave a note.The worst delivery we've had though, was various fibreglassing tools and supplies including a large plastic drum of polyester resin which the courier company had punctured, but decided to deliver anyway.The courier had tried to deliver it at the crack of dawn to the wrong address, halfway down the street on three occasions, my dad guessed it was for him and got out of bed early and just managed to catch him on his third attempt. He claimed to have the wrong delivery address on his schedule and tried to blame us, despite it being right on the parcel. He got more annoyed when we noticed the hole and leaking resin and we refused to accept it and blamed us again because it supposedly wouldn't have been damaged if we'd accepted delivery on his first two attempts (at the wrong address). He then trod in leaking resin and got even more annoyed while moving resin soaked parcels out of the way, including a woven rug, while complaining about the smell. When we asked why they even loaded it on the truck since they obviously knew it was leaking, and contained flammable and hazardous toxic chemicals (resin, styrene,acetone, ipa, + bottles of catalyst) he claimed they were contractually obliged to deliver it. Worst of it was that the company sent a replacement order packaged in an extra heavy duty cardboard box to protect it, and the couriers managed to punch a hole straight through it with a forklift tine, rupturing the resin again! Third attempt and they sent a metal drum, the courier manage to partially crumple that, but didn't succeed in puncturing it .

HAHA sounds pretty standard that!!!!

We had a delivery for a brand new 3 piece suite at work not so long back and the idiots stuck the fork lift straight through the side of the box and through the leather sofa!!!!!!!!!!
We've also had various items delivered that contained glass which was smashed upon arrival, but the sly buggers that deliver it pretend they are doing me a favour by placing it 'out of the way' because 'it's heavy' or more like.. they know it's broken!
Luckily I haven't had any issues with getting replacements/ refunds when this happens though, even if I do sign for the delivery XD! But now we have a lass working for us, who used to manage a post office and refuses to sign or accept any parcels until she's sure and she won't accept anything for our neighbours because she doesn't want to be responsible. I've never thought about it before but it's something to consider, especially if they delivered a broken item, they could blame the neighbour!

On another note, I have a friend who works for a delivery company and I was getting about 20 tub chairs delivered from them one day and he told me not to accept anything from the company without checking it, because (and I quote) ''THEY LITERALLY THROW EVERYTHING IN TO THE VANS AND DON'T GIVE A TOSS''.

Obviously I won't name and shame the place though, as he still works there and would hate for anything to ever come of it because they're also apparently terrible to work for XD!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants