Has my computer been infected - update

Found 13th Sep 2009
AAAHHHHHH! You may have seen this issue yesterday:

hotukdeals.com/ite…ted

Things have not improved a lot. I have found it very difficult to install any anti virus software - almost like the viruses were stopping me doing this. Eventually got Malwarebytes installed. It got rid of lots of viruses/trojans. Then AVG - my computer kept turning itself off several times while trying to install. This has run once too.

Then re run Malwarebytes. It found more viruses even though I had not been on the computer in the meantime. Then AVG and it did the same.

What am I going to do? I don't understand how there can be more viruses if anti virus software has run and I have done nothing inbetween? Also when I check my history today and yesterday it looks like I have trawled through about 100 pages today when I have not been on the computer at all. Any thoughts?

If I if take my computer to a repair shop what shall I way is wrong with it? Be gentle. I am very upset at what I have done to my computer. Thanks

21 Comments

you have a rootkit that re-installs all the viruses/trogans every time you boot,
to fix this you need to format and start again

Original Poster

this means I lose everything on the computer though does nt it - all my docs and photos etc? ie. basically the computer is finished?

The only way really now is to do a reinstall of windows,The viruses are likely using system restore to hide and everytime you restart they reinstall themselves .,it is possible to get rid of them but it would take some one with a lot more knowledge,Do you have a windows disc or a recovery disc for your PC,Also have you any files that you need to save before you reinstall windows ?.

You can backup your documents and pictures to an external drive or DVD,

fairy;6283595

this means I lose everything on the computer though does nt it - all my … this means I lose everything on the computer though does nt it - all my docs and photos etc? ie. basically the computer is finished?

backup these files

you could connect this drive to another pc and scan it

Original Poster

but won't the back up be virused too and when downloaded onto clean computer be loaded up again?

I am such an idiot to have allowed this to happen - oh dear.

awww you are having the same problem as me!!!!!!!

Hey huny..... are you on facebook and did you install the Fan Application?

fairy;6283661

but won't the back up be virused too and when downloaded onto clean … but won't the back up be virused too and when downloaded onto clean computer be loaded up again?I am such an idiot to have allowed this to happen - oh dear.

You would need to scan the drive as soon as it is connected to another PC before opening any files on it,

do not reformat.... this is the easiest option but I know it is not what you want to do.

goto the following upsite and run the online virus check. housecall.trendmicro.com/

sometimes norton itself is compromised. make notes of what viruses are found and search online for the best way to remove it.

though there are some viruses which self install. disabling system restore and running the virus removal sometime works. but check the instructions you are given.

though I do agree with deathtrap, make sure you archive your files as soon as possible but there is also a risk that this virus maybe transfered onto your backup.

goodluck

Original Poster

pcnutta;6283679

Hey huny..... are you on facebook and did you install the Fan Application?

no I am not

Original Poster

tonyg1962;6283687

You would need to scan the drive as soon as it is connected to another PC … You would need to scan the drive as soon as it is connected to another PC before opening any files on it,

and if they are virused I could not ever use them again?

fairy;6283763

and if they are virused I could not ever use them again?

No the AV scanner would remove the infected files but that is all,

my computer has just started saying that its overheating and then turns itself off after a countdown from 3 seconds. Anyone had this? The fan is running OK and there is no more heat than there was previously. I have AVG free and malwarebytes, but its doing my suede in

ADZ1478;6283894

my computer has just started saying that its overheating and then turns … my computer has just started saying that its overheating and then turns itself off after a countdown from 3 seconds. Anyone had this? The fan is running OK and there is no more heat than there was previously. I have AVG free and malwarebytes, but its doing my suede in

Have you cleaned any dust off the CPU cooler ?.

the fans are sucking up and kicking out cool air. Do I have to open it up to do that?

ADZ1478;6283943

the fans are sucking up and kicking out cool air. Do I have to open it up … the fans are sucking up and kicking out cool air. Do I have to open it up to do that?

Yes just take the side off and see if the cpu cooler is blocked with dust,

http://www.ovalsolutions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/1.jpg

when are people gonna realise that AVG free is ******
it doesnt protect your system in realtime and very often is lets stuff through then can't remove it, or it detects things as infected when they're not (false positives)

theres loads of threads on this site with people asking for help removing infections and I see the same things keep getting mentioned:
FREE AVG/AVAST/AVIRA

free for a reason:-crap, limited protection.

you need so much more than just a free AV and a copy of malwarebytes (tho it IS pretty good) and maybe Zone Alarm.

treat yerselves to something like Eset Smart Security.
it'll save you money in the long run, if not money, definitely time and hassle.

been running it for 2yrs and nothing has ever gotten past it.
my PC is on 24/7.

I spent years working as a PC tech before joining DSGi (yeah I know...) and i used to hear stuff all the time that customers had manually disabled their internet security cos it was blocking Limewire or something!
DUH!

Try this:

Go to [url]www.whatthetech.com[/url]

Check out the forum

download and install Hijackthis.

run it and post the log file.

Wait for someone clever to sugets what action to take. The advisors are supposed to all be vetted, so should be trusted to know what they are doing.

Banned

slackrat77;6285349

when are people gonna realise that AVG free is ******it doesnt protect … when are people gonna realise that AVG free is ******it doesnt protect your system in realtime and very often is lets stuff through then can't remove it, or it detects things as infected when they're not (false positives)theres loads of threads on this site with people asking for help removing infections and I see the same things keep getting mentioned:FREE AVG/AVAST/AVIRAfree for a reason:-crap, limited protection.you need so much more than just a free AV and a copy of malwarebytes (tho it IS pretty good) and maybe Zone Alarm.treat yerselves to something like Eset Smart Security.it'll save you money in the long run, if not money, definitely time and hassle.been running it for 2yrs and nothing has ever gotten past it.my PC is on 24/7.I spent years working as a PC tech before joining DSGi (yeah I know...) and i used to hear stuff all the time that customers had manually disabled their internet security cos it was blocking Limewire or something!DUH!

Have to agree.

AVG to virus protection is akin to a condom with a hole in it :-D
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA1657
    2. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247641
    3. Anyone else bored of video gaming1119
    4. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread428014647

See more discussions