Groups
    EXPIRED

Has the SD card fault on the Moto G 4G been fixed?

I was thinking about buying the Moto G 4G as it seems to fit my needs fairly well, but when I was reading reviews, I found out that some people were having issues using their SD cards. They were told that the 4.4.4 update would fix this.
    Can anyone who owns the 4G model please confirm whether or not the update has fixed this issue?

13 Comments

Yes its fine I have a 64gb card inside without issues

Original Poster

the porter

Yes its fine I have a 64gb card inside without issues

Thank you Just another quick question, can you save apps on the SD card?

hi had moto 4g for 2 weeks now came from an s4 after a slight accident.... must say wat a brilliant little phone it is I use a 16gb SD with no probs

Original Poster

theshepherd83

hi had moto 4g for 2 weeks now came from an s4 after a slight … hi had moto 4g for 2 weeks now came from an s4 after a slight accident.... must say wat a brilliant little phone it is I use a 16gb SD with no probs

Thank you, do you know if you can save apps to the SD card?

You can't save apps to sd on any phone running Kitkat. This is a Google thing, not specifically linked to the Moto G; or any other handset. Media, such as music, videos and photographs can be stored to sd, as can Google's own apps, such as Google Play, Gmail, Google Books, etc. Other apps downloaded from Google Play, eg games, Facebook, Skype, etc cannot be moved to sd card. Rooting the phone can allow you to circumvent this restriction, but that can void the warranty and can damage the phone, if it is not done carefully.

Original Poster

borofan47

You can't save apps to sd on any phone running Kitkat. This is a Google … You can't save apps to sd on any phone running Kitkat. This is a Google thing, not specifically linked to the Moto G; or any other handset. Media, such as music, videos and photographs can be stored to sd, as can Google's own apps, such as Google Play, Gmail, Google Books, etc. Other apps downloaded from Google Play, eg games, Facebook, Skype, etc cannot be moved to sd card. Rooting the phone can allow you to circumvent this restriction, but that can void the warranty and can damage the phone, if it is not done carefully.

According to this website, you can move apps to the SD card on the Moto E, which also runs kitkat, so I thought you might be able to on the Moto G 4G
    motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app…146

http://m.androidcentral.com/kitkat-sdcard-changes

This link explains the situation. In the link you sent, note one explains how to move the apps, but then says "unless your phone has the Android 4.4 protocol" or words to that effect.

Notes:

Moving an application to the SD card only moves the application executable and resources, any data which the application needs (cache, data) might still reside on internal storage (unless the application specifically use the Android 4.4. API)

Original Poster

borofan47

Notes:Moving an application to the SD card only moves the application … Notes:Moving an application to the SD card only moves the application executable and resources, any data which the application needs (cache, data) might still reside on internal storage (unless the application specifically use the Android 4.4. API)

So it does have the option to move to SD card in the app settings, but this won't move absolutely everything? Is that what your saying?

I'm saying that only Google's own apps, such as Google apps, gmail, etc can be moved to the SD card, along with media such as music, videos and pictures. I have a moto g and an Xperia Z Ultra. My moto g is the 3g model with no SD card slot so apps obviously can't be moved. My Ultra was originally on Jelly Bean and apps were able to be moved. When I updated to kitkat, the apps that were on SD were reinstalled back to the phone; not the SD card.

Original Poster

borofan47

I'm saying that only Google's own apps, such as Google apps, gmail, etc … I'm saying that only Google's own apps, such as Google apps, gmail, etc can be moved to the SD card, along with media such as music, videos and pictures. I have a moto g and an Xperia Z Ultra. My moto g is the 3g model with no SD card slot so apps obviously can't be moved. My Ultra was originally on Jelly Bean and apps were able to be moved. When I updated to kitkat, the apps that were on SD were reinstalled back to the phone; not the SD card.

Ok, I just spoke to Motorola and they said that you can move some (obviously not all) even on kitkat like you say. Thanks for your help

mlb71

Ok, I just spoke to Motorola and they said that you can move some … Ok, I just spoke to Motorola and they said that you can move some (obviously not all) even on kitkat like you say. Thanks for your help

No problem. It annoys me that Google have done this, as it seems they are forcing people to buy phones with a larger memory capacity, if you use lots of apps. Considering that the operating system and pre-installed apps takes up around 3-4GB of an Android device (this stuff cannot be removed), it makes 8GB devices of limited use, if the device is running Kitkat. Still, at least you know the situation now.

Original Poster

borofan47

No problem. It annoys me that Google have done this, as it seems they … No problem. It annoys me that Google have done this, as it seems they are forcing people to buy phones with a larger memory capacity, if you use lots of apps. Considering that the operating system and pre-installed apps takes up around 3-4GB of an Android device (this stuff cannot be removed), it makes 8GB devices of limited use, if the device is running Kitkat. Still, at least you know the situation now.

I know - I'm currently using a Huawei Ascend Y300, and it's lack of storage makes it difficult to download large apps or even run smoothly (because the storage is full). Being on a budget, it's difficult to find decent storage options and therefore, being able to save apps to external storage is important.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk55
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains109
      3. Win a Free minion usb stick1010
      4. totalev.com comp - win an electric car2121

See more discussions