Has Virgin introduced 24 hour bandwidth throttling?

Banned
I am on a 2mb cable connection at a cost of £5 per month get restricted down to 1mbps from 2mbps during peak times as I download an awful lot.

This is ok but over the last 2 days I have noticed I am continually restricted to 1mbps 24/7.

Anyone else noticed this?

19 Comments

Have you seen this? theregister.co.uk/200…ng/

Looks like old news, but probably what you are referring to. I hope my ISP does not do something so stupid!

All ISP's do it

Mine in the morning to around 1PM gives me 2MB+ but after that its soooooooooooo slow around 0.4MB!!!

My BT connection has been running terrible while downloading making me seriously consider moving to someone like BeBroadband.

And for the most part I don't download music and rarely movies as it's American TV that fills my HDD.

Switch to o2 csi, 8mb unlimited for £7.50 a month if you have an o2 phone.

I've had it for about 6 months and it's great!

Original Poster Banned

SunTzu;2935746

All ISP's do it

they do it at peak times but not 24/7! :whistling:

Yup, Virgin throttles if you download too much.

i posted info but they have been removed dont know why ...shame on you admin mods ...please can you explain why..?....as makes you think whats the point am i not in your gang.....?

csiman;2936028

they do it at peak times but not 24/7! :whistling:

Here is their T&C about throttling. Not all ISP do this...

allyours.virginmedia.com/htm…tml.

Original Poster Banned

My point is that nearly all ISP's throttle heavy users at peak times. But VM now seem to be throttling me 24/7!

csiman;2936085

My point is that nearly all ISP's throttle heavy users at peak times. But … My point is that nearly all ISP's throttle heavy users at peak times. But VM now seem to be throttling me 24/7!

It's probably your distance to the exchange, lol!

It's a little criminal that all these ISP's pushed their "superfast" 8mb broadband then penalize those that have the gall to use the bandwidth they are paying for.

It's not our fault they never bothered to update the infrastructure to handle the increased speeds.

My dad has VM and is thinking of leaving, the exchange is like 2 mins walk away from his house and he should be getting 8mb connection, he gets 1mb connection! He is fed up of it and he never downloads music, films, tv or the likes.

It seems to me that they have. After the first hour, I seem to be back on the old modem. When Virgin took over Blueyonder they placed it on the top of a hill and gave it a gentle push. The Branson group seem to think that it's all right to give bad service ,as long as they have placed information on the net that claims to justify it. If the Post Office were to do the same, the postman would only call to my house on a Monday.

Had no speed problems since rejoined (apart from the cap but i tend to avoid that time for downloads). Always maxing out and sometimes more. Am in Area 22

Yes they do, instead of capping you at peak times now they work out how much you download on average and cap you for longer periods

I can't think of a better way to explain it lol but you can be capped for a week if you download a lot

amcol;2936194

My dad has VM and is thinking of leaving, the exchange is like 2 mins … My dad has VM and is thinking of leaving, the exchange is like 2 mins walk away from his house and he should be getting 8mb connection, he gets 1mb connection! He is fed up of it and he never downloads music, films, tv or the likes.

I take it he doesn't get it down a cable instead through the phone line, if that's the case he wouldn't be offered 8MB anyway he will be offered up to 8MB

He can change ISP but they will offer him again up to 8MB and he will just get a similar speed
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763961
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213593
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386132
    4. Better watch out for these...912

See more discussions