has your car/van insurance went up?

Posted 2nd May
im currently with aviva. i insure a 2018 ford connect van. insurance due for renewal on 2nd june. its went up by £80 lol . i cant justify this increase in anyway. 5 years soone to be 6 years no claims.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
The days of good English has went.
26 Comments
“Has your car/van insurance gone up ? “(confused)
On a serious note, they tried to put mine up when I got a new car from £70 to £120 a month .Point blank refused to the point they signed me up as a new customer and cancelled my old policy for free !

I now pay £45 a month !
Edited by: "ashmac" 2nd May
I have also got a quote as a new customer which came in £90ish cheaper so took that and let the last years expire. I did it all whilst logged into myaviva so cant see them having a problem with it, I bought it 2 weeks before renewal day, which was last Thursday, so they have had time to flag it up. I have heard that people have got a new customer quote then rung them up to get them to price match it for renewal successfully so you could try that if you prefer.
ashmac02/05/2020 11:59

On a serious note, they tried to put mine up when I got a new car from …On a serious note, they tried to put mine up when I got a new car from £70 to £120 a month .Point blank refused to the point they signed me up as a new customer and cancelled my old policy for free ! I now pay £45 a month !

dont know what there trying to pull here. bit fed up. was with direct line before and they pulled the same stunt. will shop around i think.
jimmyw56602/05/2020 12:58

I have also got a quote as a new customer which came in £90ish cheaper so …I have also got a quote as a new customer which came in £90ish cheaper so took that and let the last years expire. I did it all whilst logged into myaviva so cant see them having a problem with it, I bought it 2 weeks before renewal day, which was last Thursday, so they have had time to flag it up. I have heard that people have got a new customer quote then rung them up to get them to price match it for renewal successfully so you could try that if you prefer.

thanks good idea. will try as new customer and see what it comes in at.
s_mZ0S02/05/2020 13:00

thanks good idea. will try as new customer and see what it comes in at.

Make sure you set start date the same day as your current one expires and not even a day earlier. Otherwise you won't have completed a full extra years no claims bonus.
aviva did the same to us we went to LV and got fully comp instead of third party for a lot less. try LV
Try the Aviva drive app gave me the top discount of 28%
Also try doing new quote aswll
Worked out like 200 cheaper for me before the drive app discount so even bigger discount
Yes, renewal went up 9% this month

Plus they offered no discount like others. I called to bargain but ended up leaving and finding better cover for 28% less and possible TCB of £50 odd
Edited by: "Gollywood" 2nd May
jimmyw56602/05/2020 12:58

I have also got a quote as a new customer which came in £90ish cheaper so …I have also got a quote as a new customer which came in £90ish cheaper so took that and let the last years expire. I did it all whilst logged into myaviva so cant see them having a problem with it, I bought it 2 weeks before renewal day, which was last Thursday, so they have had time to flag it up. I have heard that people have got a new customer quote then rung them up to get them to price match it for renewal successfully so you could try that if you prefer.

Same thisng happened to me long time ago, purchased as new customer and let old one finish.
winzzz02/05/2020 17:09

Icy wot u did thar
You think it would go down, right?
£212 renewal with quote me happy ( up £18 ) went with saga £166 . Get some quotes on websites .
mikeportsmouth03/05/2020 09:13

£212 renewal with quote me happy ( up £18 ) went with saga £166 . Get some …£212 renewal with quote me happy ( up £18 ) went with saga £166 . Get some quotes on websites .

good call.
I used dial direct via comparison site and got a god price
Insurance companies want people to be lazy and auto renew without checking prices.
Same thing happened to me when I last renewed with Aviva so I just got a new cheaper quote from them and renewed that way, also went through Quidco and got £60 cashback so serves them right for trying to rip me off!
PaulandPam03/05/2020 14:50

Insurance companies want people to be lazy and auto renew without checking …Insurance companies want people to be lazy and auto renew without checking prices.Same thing happened to me when I last renewed with Aviva so I just got a new cheaper quote from them and renewed that way, also went through Quidco and got £60 cashback so serves them right for trying to rip me off!

even though you had insurance with them you still got cash back as new customer etc?
s_mZ0S03/05/2020 15:53

even though you had insurance with them you still got cash back as new …even though you had insurance with them you still got cash back as new customer etc?

Yep! because it was classed as a new policy, the only thing I had do do is when they asked for proof of my no claims bonus I emailed them my old policy number because it was Aviva themselves who were my previous insurer, cashback took about the normal 6 months before it was paid out.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 3rd May
Auto renewal quote is down £30. I might not bite yet. I don’t think the reduction is enough.
westonleslie05/05/2020 18:39

Auto renewal quote is down £30. I might not bite yet. I don’t think the re …Auto renewal quote is down £30. I might not bite yet. I don’t think the reduction is enough.

I actually called aviva with regards to me being furloughed and the van doing about 20 miles a week if that. They said they put my policy down to 4000 miles annum. And also refund me £1.46 lol they also had a cheek to say we won't be charging and admin fee of £25 to make the adjustment
40816129-0g9HB.jpg

I was looking at mind earlier as had renewal email in,mine up too. I've probably drove like 10miles in past 9 weeks...
Mum2CerysCiaran20/05/2020 18:16

[Image] I was looking at mind earlier as had renewal email in,mine up too. …[Image] I was looking at mind earlier as had renewal email in,mine up too. I've probably drove like 10miles in past 9 weeks...

i know, dont know whats up. ive went through direct line, admiral. they are all £80 to £100 more that aviva renewal. i will go with aviva again as there still the cheepest some how lol. but as new customer & with top cash back £50. again i stay in a flat but if i use my partners house address it goes down like £40. its a joke honestly. theyve also jacked up the windscreen repair from £75 to £115
s_mZ0S20/05/2020 18:28

i know, dont know whats up. ive went through direct line, admiral. they …i know, dont know whats up. ive went through direct line, admiral. they are all £80 to £100 more that aviva renewal. i will go with aviva again as there still the cheepest some how lol. but as new customer & with top cash back £50. again i stay in a flat but if i use my partners house address it goes down like £40. its a joke honestly. theyve also jacked up the windscreen repair from £75 to £115

I've not looked to compare yet as I've got nearly a month till renewal but I'm going compare.... I use the cashback websites too.
Renewed mine in February went down from £330 to £202 fully comp £150 excess despite having made an at fault claim and losing my no claims discount. Exact same policy no differences in coverage, That was via flux direct, the renewal letter said £490 but 5 minutes on the phone to them got it down quick and easy. Insurers always try it on with renewal prices so get a few other quotes first then go back to your insurer armed with figures.
westonleslie05/05/2020 18:39

Auto renewal quote is down £30. I might not bite yet. I don’t think the re …Auto renewal quote is down £30. I might not bite yet. I don’t think the reduction is enough.

Oh I did some price comps and haggled with the existing insurer. Now the renewal is an additional 60 quid cheaper.

Like the other posters, it does look like they are still playing the make big bucks off existing customers game.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions