Groups

Hate new job, what do I do?

I need some advice guys, I have till Monday to make my mind up. Hello, I have been in a new job for 5 days, its not the job they explained at the interview, which I went for in September and they never got back to me till 2 weeks ago. I used to work in retail where I was busy, this job in 8 hours, people only work for around an hour and just stare at their screens for the rest of the time. This is making me sick, I'm not eating or sleeping. My old manager said if I wanted my old job back I just needed to get in touch with her. I really am mot coping behind a desk for 8.5 hours and new people have a go at me for getting up at least once an hour for a short walk. What should I do, I'm so unhappy.

38 Comments

If you are sure this job is not as you thought, and you liked your old job, go back to it. Don't stay in a job that makes you ill.

Seems simple, go back to your old job.
    You're miserable here and it's making you I'll, plus you're being offered your old job back with open arms.

leave. I doubt you will ever be happy at least at the moment you have a job to go back to. if you leave it too long you will only become more miserable and might not be so easy to get another job

people spend so much of their working lives at work. Its important that you at least dont HATE your job, but better if you like it.
    Take it from me, someone who stuck with a job with a bullying boss until it broke me.

It wont get better - just leave and feel the relief, and mark it up to experience.

I gave +1 to all who said go back to your old job, which was everyone. No reason to stay.

This happened to me a few years ago, and i experienced the exact same reaction (unwell, can't eat, can't sleep etc) I decided to go back to my old job and I did it sooner rather than later so as to minimise the inconvenience for the new employer. Whilst I was embarassed for a while, having to explain to everyone in my old job what had happened etc, it was ultimately the right thing to do and whilst it's not one of my fondest memories, I'm glad I did it. At the end of the day you've got to do what is best for you, and you will feel guilty about it for a week or two but that will pass. My advice would be do it before you don't have your old job to go back to and the situation becomes even worse.
    I often asked myself if I should have given the job more of a chance but I just knew, and couldn't face the prospect of feeling that way for a prolonged period, or worse. No job should negatively affect your health, you've got to be happy in what you do or what's the point?
    Hope this helps you make your decision.

Call up your old manager as soon as possible and see if the vacancy still exists! Although it's nice to feel "wanted", business is completely different than regular friendships. If there is a job for you then go for it! Be careful not to leave yourself without a job. I hope it works out for you!

'The people only work for around an hour and just stare at their screens for the rest of the time.'

This is what Candy Crush was invented for.

To me I think you know right away if you are going to settle in your new job. and if you like it or not my advice is go back to old job
    Your body is telling you this if you are not sleeping you are not happy
    do it now

Just to reiterate what everyone else has already said don't stay if its having an effect on your life, get in contact with your old boss straight away, I too have been where you are except I stayed there for 15 months it effected myself and my family. I left and wouldn't look back, its just not worth it , I hope everything works out for you, good luck.

just to rock the boat you left the old job and took something new for a reason. I'm taking its more money or better hours... jobs are what you make them if it's not working out have you spoke to ur new manager about why? have you made the job your own? some roles I start more sheepish than others as I am learning. others I dove in and add my own understanding and experience. point is you chose to leave other role so is going back going to help? will you just leave again? also is old job on same contract terms as before or will they take you at a new start wages etc..

People only work for an hour and then stare at their screens ... you realise that's only because they're hunting flamedeers at the moment!! Seriously tho.. it really does sound like you need to go back to your old job although you must have had reasons for looking for another job in the first place. hope it all turns out ok for you.

try being a scaffolder that hates hights and has no sense of direction and needs a huge cupful of personality..merry chuffin Christmas!

Easy - go back to your of job!
    I left a perfectly good job once (enticed by the extra money). I knew after the first 2 days I hated it and couldn't cope so I contacted my old boss and they took me back.
    Left Friday, started new job Monday, left there Wednesday then back in my old job on the Thursday.
    I have never looked back as I'm still at the original workplace and that was 13 years ago!!
    We laugh about my 'holiday' all those years ago, no need to be embarrassed - better to try and realise it's not for you rather than never give it a go.
    Good luck!!
    Edited by: "Suzannzan" 10th Dec 2016

First I should say speak to your line manager and say this is not what I was told the job would entail when I had the interview, assuming it isn't as you wouldn't have accepted it otherwise unless you misunderstood? If you then do not get what you were expecting go back to old job or search elsewhere.

Can I have your new job?? Seriously, unemployed for a year and not a single job interview for any of he applications I have made.

Speak to your current employer first, if things can't be worked out then go back to your old job

Your health and your happiness are the most important things. If I were you, I would speak to your manager and ask why the role is different to the one you interviewed for (presuming they were part of your interview process). For me, you deserve answers and if they accept that you haven't started your actual role yet, the time you have to decide should be extended. However, they have betrayed your trust and failed to communicate with you, so I would also request your old job back from your old manager. At this point you may have 2 jobs on offer, but you should go with whichever makes you happy. You didn't say that your old job did so maybe it would be worth sourcing a new job altogether?

Just go back to your old job asap. A friend of mine left his job and was given the same option by his old employer. Unfortunately he left it too late and his position got filled.

Unhappy employees often end up getting fired or leaving and entering other jobs that they do not like so well. If you have a decent exit strategy, engage it!

I would go back to your old job this one sounds like it is not for you.

If you feel like this now .I think you will feel worse further down the line.

Sounds like you still have some motivation in your life......use it! A friend of mine trained as a mechanic but just before finishing his training he got totally cheesed off with the managers half wit ways and sparked him out = sacked. He went to another main dealer next door and got a job.......unfortunately the new boss kept getting him to stay late and finish work unpaid = boss gets sparked out and sacked again. Now he has found his ideal job and risen to be a manager......testing military hardware that's sold to other countries to cause more pain = win win.
    So be true to yourself and you may get what you deserve.

make sure you have a job to, not just your old manager saying its ok, get a start day. then leave , you only get 1 life be happy in it nothing worse than being stuck doing something you hate. makes you miserable outside of work. good luck

contact your old boss asap, make sure the jobs still available. in retail they maybe able to offer you a job back, but it could be in a different department, different hours. there's no shame in it. I once went to a girls leaving do, nice woman, she was back within a week lol. best of luck bud ;-)

That's the Civil Sevice for you.

This has happened to me, I couldn't go back to my old job so had to move on again. If you can go back, go back but look out for something else in the meantime if you don't want to stay there. I hate sitting behind a screen for 8 hours its so boring. get out if you are not happy....life is far too short!

It's good that you have the option to go back and your choice should be easy. We can all see it.

I did the same thing in reverse in March. Hated my old job as my boss was terrible and left. Best choice I made.

Why do you hesitate about leaving and going back to your old job? What were the reasons that you left your old job?

go back whilst you can end of the day you were trying to better yourself , bit like new shoes some fit some dont you take em back and slip your comfy ones on

Go off sick

dereklogan7

That's the Civil Sevice for you.

So true

My sister in a similar dilemma... get back to the old place while you still can! Unfortunately that isn't an option for my sis and she's ill with the stress of what she's done.. the grass isn't always greener, but it's ok to try it out and realise that..

You don't have a dilemma. You have moved to a job you don't like and your old job is still there, you are so lucky. My oh done same thing last year and hated new job so much that he had to leave as he'd lost 2 stone with the stress it caused him. Just go back to old job while you still can. We lost our house because he couldn't find another job.
    Edited by: "lianne21" 10th Dec 2016

Original Poster

mutley1

Why do you hesitate about leaving and going back to your old job? What … Why do you hesitate about leaving and going back to your old job? What were the reasons that you left your old job?

Well you see, I am 24 and this will be my second job, I have a degree and feel like I should be in an office as I studies Business Management but I hate working in an office (only just found this out). I don't want to upset my parents who are very supportive and said if I'm unhappy I should leave and go back to retail if that's the career choice I want, but my brother who is older than me keeps telling me retail cant possibly be a career choice which is throwing me completely. This job is more money but I don't think its worth the unhappiness.

If you're not happy move back to your old job and either look for another job or see if you can work out a career path that's more suited to you and your skill set. But don't let your degree title tie you down to "business management".
    I studied business management and accountancy, run my own business but in construction.

lindzio

Well you see, I am 24 and this will be my second job, I have a degree and … Well you see, I am 24 and this will be my second job, I have a degree and feel like I should be in an office as I studies Business Management but I hate working in an office (only just found this out). I don't want to upset my parents who are very supportive and said if I'm unhappy I should leave and go back to retail if that's the career choice I want, but my brother who is older than me keeps telling me retail cant possibly be a career choice which is throwing me completely. This job is more money but I don't think its worth the unhappiness.

Retail can't be a career choice? That is incredibly untrue. If you have a degree and have lots of retail experience you could work for Lidl/Aldi at about £30k for assistant manager or £50k for store manager, then with a degree like business management you could move up to be area/regional manager.

Original Poster

Would like to thank everyone for the advice, I handed my notice in after going to see my old boss who said I could have my old job back. Feels like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders

lindzio

Would like to thank everyone for the advice, I handed my notice in after … Would like to thank everyone for the advice, I handed my notice in after going to see my old boss who said I could have my old job back. Feels like a weight has been lifted of my shoulders

Excellent- glad you got it all sorted. You can go back to your old job and enjoy the run up to Christmas without being stressed!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best 40 inch TV for £30056
      2. Biscuit addiction1231
      3. Working conditions, workers rights. Standing at work causing pain. Is this …1325
      4. Easyjet - book now or wait?813

See more discussions