Groups

Have 2 Dell laptops, 1 has Vista Ultimate, 1 has Vista Premium. Can I OFFICIALLY swap OS?

Or are they tied to the hardware full stop? I don't mind phoning Dell or Microsoft to do so officially if I know it is possible. Both same machines btw - M1330 laptops.

7 Comments

nope, dell software works on any dell ;o)

I have 'Vista Ultimate' on all my Dells!

EDIT: Unless this is to upgrade the M1330 you have listed on AVForums...in that case you can't

Original Poster

bazzaric;4549635

nope, dell software works on any dell ;o)

bazzaric;4549636

I have 'Vista Ultimate' on all my Dells!

Thanks bazz - I know that this will work, but I thinking of swapping the Ultimate version on to the machine that I'm selling, so it would have to be officially swapped

EDIT: yes, I see your edit. That's exactly what I was asking about. I do own a copy of Vista Ultimate on the other M1330 though - no chance they will allow me swap?

Original Poster

added 'officially' to title - looks odd but hopefully makes question clearer

Liddle ol' me;4549685

added 'officially' to title - looks odd but hopefully makes question … added 'officially' to title - looks odd but hopefully makes question clearer

nope, they won't allow you to swap. The machines will have been sold at different times, etc with different costs and compatibility for each machine

Original Poster

bazzaric;4549733

nope, they won't allow you to swap. The machines will have been sold at … nope, they won't allow you to swap. The machines will have been sold at different times, etc with different costs and compatibility for each machine

makes sense - might just ask them next time I'm on the phone anyway just to hear their official line on the matter -although of course with dell the official line depends on who you are talking to! I'll give up the idea of doing it for the one being sold though - was just another silly Liddle idea...:roll:

vista key code is tied to the mainboard and i think the HDD too
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Oh deer.. looks like they are back sooner this year.2439
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764486
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …55101
      4. Can i return jewellery to Argos? + quick rep99

See more discussions