Expired

Have GAME changed their Trade-in price match?

Found 28th May 2013
They used to match CEX without much fuss but the last two times I've tried to get them to match they're saying their needs to be £5 difference between the trade-in price and the GAME retail price.

That makes perfect sense but then why advertise saying you'll beat any quote by £1?

game.co.uk/web…151
Community Updates
20 Comments
They are terrible, they always refuse to price match CEX, I have been told that they're not going to price match if it means making a lose, which makes sense, but change your policy then.
Original Poster
MrStores

They are terrible, they always refuse to price match CEX, I have been … They are terrible, they always refuse to price match CEX, I have been told that they're not going to price match if it means making a lose, which makes sense, but change your policy then.

Thought so.... I'm going to drop a note the ASA, I'm not really fussed what their policy is as long as it's clear and transparent...
Ive always known that they will beat the competition trade in prices by £1 upto the price that they sell that game for. So if you want them to price match CEX for example as they give £15 for a game but game sell that game for £12.99 they will only price match the trade in to the value of £12.99.
i went into game the other day and ask how much the trade in price was for super marios bros 2 i was shocked when they said £15 because they sell it for £34.99 preowned
Banned
Rach75

i went into game the other day and ask how much the trade in price was … i went into game the other day and ask how much the trade in price was for super marios bros 2 i was shocked when they said £15 because they sell it for £34.99 preowned

Here is a short video explaning their policy

www.youtube.com/watch?v=onEfmC6HRF4
opalpopal

Here is a short video explaning their … Here is a short video explaning their policyhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onEfmC6HRF4

that short video says it all game have gone crap since being taken over
As above, they wont offer more than they sell for
It might be some store making up policy. They'd probably turn you away if you wanted to trade in a new release that CeX overpays £5 for. One game once told me they don't price CeX, but do for other stores. They couldn't name any other stores.
When i went in they just looked it up on a tablet and price-matched all but one as they sold it for less that cex offers ( cex offers £13 trade in, game £6.50). The girl asked the manager what they could offer me and the manager was clueless just shrugged and went "ohh err umm i don't know umm lets say £8". I politely said no as while they sell the game preowned for £13 good luck trying to find a copy!
I've experienced this. I had 5 games which were worth roughly £45 in cex and I wanted Luigi's Mansion 2, which was £30 in cex, but no copies. I thought I might as well grab it from game for £39.99 to get it new with the code and maybe they have some pre-order bonuses left. They not only wouldn't match the prices, they wouldn't even give me close to their selling prices. I think they wanted to give me something like £17 + 25% because I was trading against a new game, which totaled £21.25. He then tried to give me the hard sell telling me how rare LM was on the gamecube, and so this one will be super rare too.

He really did try, but there was no way I was giving him 5 games and £18.74 for one game. I went to cex gave them 3 games got my £30 credit note and ordered a copy online. Not surprisingly I haven't bought anything from game since.

Also remember it has to be within a one mile radius of the store and although the terms say it must be a price within the last 24 hours the guy wouldn't accept print outs and made me show him on my phone. Most game stores don't have any competition within a one mile radius except for cex. ASA may be a good shout.
Original Poster
Thanks for the replies, I've logged the matter with ASA, I may point them here for more details if they require.

As I said earlier it's not the business model that I object do as I'd do the same if it were my business it's the sheer underhand way they advertise a competior price match and then hide behind the 'manager discretion' part of the terms.
Sorry to bump this thread but i wanted to trade a few games in for a new console but it seems I can get 34 quid trade in from cex but 24 from game ,i was after the limited edition 3ds xl from game so whats my best bet sell to cex and just buy a game or lose £10 for the console from game.
Also do cex sell new games or are they all preowned ? was after luigis mansion which is 35 which is retail price so I presume its new !
taiko

Sorry to bump this thread but i wanted to trade a few games in for a new … Sorry to bump this thread but i wanted to trade a few games in for a new console but it seems I can get 34 quid trade in from cex but 24 from game ,i was after the limited edition 3ds xl from game so whats my best bet sell to cex and just buy a game or lose £10 for the console from game.Also do cex sell new games or are they all preowned ? was after luigis mansion which is 35 which is retail price so I presume its new !

If Game won't price match, I'd definitely advise you trade them for CeX credit. If you want, you can recover 70%-ish of the face value of credit by buying a few certain things and selling them back for cash.

They are all supposed to be pre-owned, but there are many traders who sell them new items that have to be unsealed. For new release stuff, don't be put off by the fact that its used, unless you are missing out on DLC. Quality-wise, it will be near-perfect and will often be new, but unsealed. Some stores take in some games without unsealing them, but they are the minority.

Their prices are often the same as you can get new, but they often overpay on trade-ins. Also, contrasted to game, they often sell a preowned title for only a pound or two off their new price, so its a small difference.
I wanted luigis mansion 2 with pin intact ,i take it i can ask game/cex to show me the actual box and see if the pins intact ?
taiko

I wanted luigis mansion 2 with pin intact ,i take it i can ask game/cex … I wanted luigis mansion 2 with pin intact ,i take it i can ask game/cex to show me the actual box and see if the pins intact ?

Is that like a scratch-away code or an accessory?
its a scratch away code which counts towards a new game if you get 3 pins.
Original Poster
I've actually had a response from the ASA today, they are already investigating it due to a number of other complaints.
taiko

its a scratch away code which counts towards a new game if you get 3 pins.

You can ask them to find one that has an unused code. I don't think that promotion was really well-known, so you may get lucky. Ask them before you trade in your stuff if you want.
thanks for the info mate.
taiko

thanks for the info mate.

Also, the prices of 3DS games will probably drop soon, as they are overdue. Might be worth waiting, unless you're trading in 3DS games, in which case I'd advise you sell them now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions