Have GAME ever refused to honour their trade-in price guarantee for you?

Found 28th Jun 2013
I reported GAME to the ASA earlier in the year for refusing to honour their trade in price match guarantee (Sleeping Dogs Cex £10, Game £2) at their Solihull Branch and Dragons Dogma at both the Bull Ring and West Brom branch.

On both occasions they refused as the price match price was within £5 of their retail price for the game. ASA have investigated this and GAME retail are claiming this is not policy and an isolated incident.

From a previous thread I know this to be complete and utter rubbish, they often refuse hiding behind the 'manager decision' caveat however this should only apply to condition or multiple copies.

The ASA would like to take this further and would like more examples of where this happened so im asking fellow hukkers if you have encountered any examples of this then let me have the store, product and rough date and I'll pass on all submissions.
Community Updates
19 Comments
strangly enough

yesterday i took a load of games in and they honoured the PRICE MATCH against CEX infact it ended up being more as a few were worth more than CEX

HOWEVER

when i asked about trading my VITA in and them price matching he said he wouldnt

they would give me £70 trade in and i said cex give £94

tbh this wasnt good news as i was hoping to trade it in onto a gift card to use towards the xboxone but even telling them this they wouldnt do it

is it worth me trying again or even complaining?

oh and this was in stockport store
Edited by: "Havince" 28th Jun 2013
Banned
Super kool story bro.
ifrazalam

Super kool story bro.

Did you learn that all by yourself?
Original Poster
ifrazalam

Super kool story bro.

It is isn't it? Thanks for reading, that's 30 seconds of your life you'll never see again...
they did it to me in the past with a few games, i traded them in where ever was higher and moved on with my life
Banned
The Manager's decision is final.

read t & c
Original Poster
bencotucker

The Manager's decision is final.read t & c

I have. Nothing to do with the guarantee, managers decision is down to quality and quantity. You should know that Mr Grifter.

StevenBrown

they did it to me in the past with a few games, i traded them in where … they did it to me in the past with a few games, i traded them in where ever was higher and moved on with my life

Its the principle of the thing. Don't advertise something you won't do. Simple. 'moved on with my life' - you have to smile...
has to be said they shouldnt make a statement then go back on it

isnt that double standards to do a price match on 15 games but not on a handheld?

bet theyda changed there mind if i said id go to grainger games and also not bother getting my xboxone from them
Edited by: "Havince" 28th Jun 2013
Original Poster
Havince

has to be said they shouldnt make a statement then go back on itisnt that … has to be said they shouldnt make a statement then go back on itisnt that double standards to do a price match on 15 games but not on a handheld? bet theyda changed there mind if i said id go to grainger games and also not bother getting my xboxone from them

Certainly sounds like it... I'll add it to the list, thanks.
"@GAMEStockport: Found a better credit price for your old games or devices in town? then let us know and we'll beat it!! T&C apply #tradein
@MrStores: @GAMEStockport unless its CEX
@GAMEStockport: @MrStores Match CEX credit ok. Just not more than what we sell it on for & not a loss overall. It will only increase selling price otherwise" this was posted by Game in Stockport a few weeks back.

I understand and it's a reasonable response, but only if you re going to re word your trade in policy
Original Poster
Just in case anyones interested, ASA found in favour of GAME as they provided evidence that they had honoured the trade in guarantee previously (and at a loss), they have re-communicated the message to their stores and area managers to ensure the guarantee is upheld.

So... If you find your self in a Game store where they refuse to match a CEX price, point them in the direction of the ASA website.

asa.org.uk/Rul…spx
Flodd

Just in case anyones interested, ASA found in favour of GAME as they … Just in case anyones interested, ASA found in favour of GAME as they provided evidence that they had honoured the trade in guarantee previously (and at a loss), they have re-communicated the message to their stores and area managers to ensure the guarantee is upheld.So... If you find your self in a Game store where they refuse to match a CEX price, point them in the direction of the ASA website.http://www.asa.org.uk/Rulings/Adjudications/2013/8/Game-Retail-Ltd/SHP_ADJ_231547.aspx

They refused to allow me to trade in UFC Undisputed 3 with them as they sold it for less than CEX were offering part-ex, should they have taken it in?
Original Poster
Mikethemanc

Absolutely yes. They claim they always honour the guarantee and that … Absolutely yes. They claim they always honour the guarantee and that 'store specific' issues are being addressed.They refused to allow me to trade in UFC Undisputed 3 with them as they sold it for less than CEX were offering part-ex, should they have taken it in?

Yer they've refused me before, but game as a company are idiots and thats why i don't shop there any longer.
As I have mentioned in another thread I have been refused in the Swindon store due to them not being able to make 'enough profit'. It is a shame that the ASA found for Game. I think I shall write to the ASA too.
Original Poster
More instances of this not being a genuine guarantee on other threads - I'm already beack in touch with ASA but the more of you that submit a complaint - the more chance GAME will act.
Have had problems with this before. My local GAME wouldn't match CEX trade in price if it was more than the GAME selling price. Although annoying I thought it was fair. Within £5 is pushing it though. Will bear this thread in mind if I have any problems in future.
I was just on another thread discussing this issue. One member seems to think putting "managers decision is final" in their Ts&Cs is acceptable.....it's not an acceptable clause.
almo

I was just on another thread discussing this issue. One member seems to … I was just on another thread discussing this issue. One member seems to think putting "managers decision is final" in their Ts&Cs is acceptable.....it's not an acceptable clause.

In some instances it is. In this one, the variables are pretty clear cut so I can’t see why/how a manager would/could say no. Also, I don’t think I know who the store manager is at my local branch…just Sales Assistants and Senior Sale Assistants.

Anyway, I use the one in Bury and they seem to be pretty ok with most trade ins and match no problems plus the quid.

However, as found out in Stockport, they don’t beat each game by £1 but the total amount by £1 (traded in 2 games. They offered £4.50, CEX at £10 (2 x £5), got £11). Unless you went in different days to trade in, you’d get stuck in that trap. They even said they wouldn’t do it if they put it through as separate transactions.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants