have i been scammed by nowbroadband??

Posted 28th Oct
I subscribed with nowbroadband in august. My line was activated on the 27th of August. Internet wasn't stable and slow so I called on the 9th of september and clearly said that I wanted to switch to sky. The operator said that the process was simple, all I needed to do was subscribe with SKY but to make sure I do it before the 27th of September to avoid paying cancellation fees. Long story short, I cancelled on the 18th of September but I was still charged 68 pounds for early cancellation! Just now I was in chat with 'Taylor' from customer support before they disconnected me! Taylor said that I cancelled on the 18th but I was still in contract until October 2nd (the switch date) so that's why I've been charged! isn't this just ludicrous!? Like I don't have control over the switch date. Why would they keep me in contract until after the 30 days then charge me with cancellation fees! I feel i was scammed! can someone tell me what I should do? I can try and contact customer support again but Im afraid they may disconnect the line once again!
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

17 Comments
To be fair the non activity by yourself between 9th Sep and 18th Sep hasn't helped matters. You can hardly claim you had no control over the switch date.
Edited by: "OllieSt" 28th Oct
Have you asked for a manager to speak to?
OllieSt28/10/2019 15:55

To be fair the non activity by yourself between 9th Sep and 18th Sep …To be fair the non activity by yourself between 9th Sep and 18th Sep hasn't helped matters. You can hardly claim you had no control over the switch date.

True, these people will grab your hard earned money at any turn. These things have to be done immediately
Kinda weird that Sky should be OK but not NowTV cos its the same provision, but regardless:
the concept of cancellation and / or switch is clouded in your text.
So did you cancel / switch (line takeover) / other permutation?
Is the fee actually identified as a cancellation fee, or is it the standard cost of providing the (rubbish) service until the date of switch / cancellation?
AndyRoyd28/10/2019 16:02

Kinda weird that Sky should be OK but not NowTV cos its the same …Kinda weird that Sky should be OK but not NowTV cos its the same provision, but regardless: the concept of cancellation and / or switch is clouded in your text. So did you cancel / switch (line takeover) / other permutation? Is the fee actually identified as a cancellation fee, or is it the standard cost of providing the (rubbish) service until the date of switch / cancellation?

It's stated as a "charge for leaving early". I only did as I was told by the operator and joined sky on the 18th
OllieSt28/10/2019 15:55

To be fair the non activity by yourself between 9th Sep and 18th Sep …To be fair the non activity by yourself between 9th Sep and 18th Sep hasn't helped matters. You can hardly claim you had no control over the switch date.

well not if i was told I could join sky any day before the 27th.. I wasnt told I had to factor in time for a switch date
mrman00728/10/2019 15:59

Have you asked for a manager to speak to?

I just got off the phone with the operator. She spoke to the manager and could only advise me to claim the money from sky as I switched to them. That would fall under switch credit and sky should be able to pay it as its less than 100 pounds.. but if i do this im worried i may not get quidco cashback
Husamx28/10/2019 16:19

well not if i was told I could join sky any day before the 27th.. I wasnt …well not if i was told I could join sky any day before the 27th.. I wasnt told I had to factor in time for a switch date

I think the issue is going to be is when are you classed as having 'joined Sky'. I would have thought it would be on switch date not application date.
Husamx28/10/2019 16:21

I just got off the phone with the operator. She spoke to the manager and …I just got off the phone with the operator. She spoke to the manager and could only advise me to claim the money from sky as I switched to them. That would fall under switch credit and sky should be able to pay it as its less than 100 pounds.. but if i do this im worried i may not get quidco cashback

Quidco are pretty good at chasing up matters and they have done on many occasions. You may have to bite the bullet on this one! Do the calculations and make the best financial choice and treat it as a learning experience! It’s unfair I know! Maybe another member can give you better advise! Have you had a look at any other forums that discuss the same sort of problems and how they dealt with it!
Husamx28/10/2019 16:17

It's stated as a "charge for leaving early". I only did as I was told by …It's stated as a "charge for leaving early". I only did as I was told by the operator and joined sky on the 18th

You agreed to various terms when taking the contract, one possible term applicable to cooling-off cancellation:
"...you must pay us an amount which is proportionate to the service provided up to the point you cancelled your order, including any chargeable calls you have made. You will not receive a refund for any one-off fees for activation or set up services if you cancel a service after activation... you are responsible for returning the NOW Broadband Hub without undue delay using the returns method provided with it."
Highly unlikely you've been "scammed", you just may need to ask for a breakdown of the specific costs that contribute to the "early cancellation fees", as the £60-something you mention does not fit with the cancellation fees stated by NowTV at help.nowtv.com/art…ges
Personally i would use the following method to change provider for anything.
1 cancel any direct debits.
2 ignore all letters and convince yourself you never ever subscribed anyway and was just a trial.
3 join your new service and do the same when your fed up of them.
Assuming no money owed for service you had theres not much point in them doing anything about it and they cant sell the debt to those hyena companies for non payment of a non received service that you deny you know about.
Edited by: "Andyd001" 28th Oct
Dont pay cancellation fees till they pay your crap service charge.
Just this...

uk.trustpilot.com/rev…s=1

Shocking service all round.

As for trying to 'chat' to a Manager (on live chat, because they won't talk about TV over the phone) you have to wait 24/48 hours for one to contact you by email...even then, it doesn't happen.

Really, if you value your sanity, even if it means paying extra, go elsewhere.
Unsure how nowtv works, but your line was activated on 27th august and you called up on 9th september. I know for at least the first 2 weeksbroadband providers test your line all times of the day to make sure there is no errors.
i know sky did This with me and they told me before hand they do this.
Edited by: "Caroline_1993" 28th Oct
I dont see anything wrong on nowtv's side. They gave you 30 days cooling off which is when you decide if it's for you or not, that is generous considering others are 14 days. You had the choice to cancel within that period cancellation free. You chose to switch providers, switching takes 2 weeks on average, you knew that when you switched to nowtv and should have known that when you wanted to switch again, this took you past the 30 days so cancellation fee applies. You should have placed the sky order within the first 2 weeks, sooner the better.
They're the same company using the same network and system so I find it unlikely one works and one doesn't. I'm not sure if it's changed but they used the same router as well.
Sky do contract buyouts according to sky.com/sho…v1/
They don't list NowTV as one of them, only BT, TalkTalk, EE or Plusnet but it might be worth asking, tell them you'll cancel as you're within your cooling off period with Sky.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants