Groups

Have I discovered a new energy source?

Banned
    Strange things are happening...............

I normally always buy a bumper 5L bottle of domestos and fill up empty spray trigger bottles as its far more economical and has better coverage than just pouring the bottle around showers, sink etc....

Anyway, enough of my ramblings about my chores. I filled up with bleach a CIF (formerly JIF) kitchen cleaner trigger spray bottle which still had a small amount left in the bottom (about 3-5%).

Within seconds, the bottle was really hot and now 24 hours later is still very warm.

Any industrial chemists out there care to enlighten me on what's going on?

cheers

22 Comments

Did it have any Jif left in it? The bleach probably reacted with it if it did. I wonder if larger quantities could melt the bottle!

By the way, I have informed the anti-terrorism police.

Original Poster Banned

Predikuesi;2161504

Did it have any Jif left in it? The bleach probably reacted with it if it … Did it have any Jif left in it? The bleach probably reacted with it if it did. I wonder if larger quantities could melt the bottle!By the way, I have informed the anti-terorism police.

I filled up with bleach a CIF (formerly JIF) kitchen cleaner trigger spray bottle which still had a small amount left in the bottom (about 3-5%).

Yeah, it is a chemical reaction. The bottles always state that you shouldn't mix products.

sounds like an exothermic reaction between chemicals

that was what i was going to say exothermic-aly:-D

interesting, Once when i was a kid i had one of those chemistry sets with the test tubes and stuff, i mixed aload if the powders and stuff together one day and it went bezerk overflowing the beaker and red hot, couldnt recreate it after that one off time! Was mad tho!

CIF took all the writing off my washing machiine and I couldnt understand it it was so strong it takes the black writing off, tried complaining to CIF but they said I should not wipe down my appliances with it! :?

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for the answers. Just thought I might have become the new Abramovich ;-)

I'd bet money that the reaction would give off some pretty toxic gasses so be very very careful!

try sniffing it.... if it works sell it to you local chavs youll make a fourtune (ok most of the money they will of stolen from you but hey)

you wasnt sat on the toilet in a Giraffe restaurant in a £230m shopping development in Exeter when you mixed it was you :whistling:

on a serious note household cleaners when mixed can give of chlorine gas which is bad
    ]http//ww…611

jackt010;2161665

try sniffing it.... if it works sell it to you local chavs youll make a … try sniffing it.... if it works sell it to you local chavs youll make a fourtune (ok most of the money they will of stolen from you but hey)

:lol:

kungfu;2161611

interesting, Once when i was a kid i had one of those chemistry sets with … interesting, Once when i was a kid i had one of those chemistry sets with the test tubes and stuff, i mixed aload if the powders and stuff together one day and it went bezerk overflowing the beaker and red hot, couldnt recreate it after that one off time! Was mad tho!

my 8 year old lad got suspended from school over one of those kits,he mixed up a potion in a test tube and sneaked it to school and told all the kids it was poison to kill the teacher with :w00t:

Mardyass;2161727

my 8 year old lad got suspended from school over one of those kits,he … my 8 year old lad got suspended from school over one of those kits,he mixed up a potion in a test tube and sneaked it to school and told all the kids it was poison to kill the teacher with :w00t:

Your kid is awesome.

Mardyass;2161727

my 8 year old lad got suspended from school over one of those kits,he … my 8 year old lad got suspended from school over one of those kits,he mixed up a potion in a test tube and sneaked it to school and told all the kids it was poison to kill the teacher with :w00t:

I also had one of these sets - I remember asking what the sticky lables were for, to which my mum replied, "so you can put the names on the test tubes."

I got the p*ss taken out of me for years when she came back and there was a lone testube on the side with a sticky label on it with "Kevin" written in my bestest joined up handwriting. :thinking:

MinstrelMan;2161763

I also had one of these sets - I remember asking what the sticky lables … I also had one of these sets - I remember asking what the sticky lables were for, to which my mum replied, "so you can put the names on the test tubes."I got the p*ss taken out of me for years when she came back and there was a lone testube on the side with a sticky label on it with "Kevin" written in my bestest joined up handwriting. :thinking:

lmao

What you're experiencing is probably due to there being a little caustic soda (sodium hydroxide) in the Cif bottle, when this is added to bleach (sodium hypochlorite) you get a highly exothermic reaction. You were lucky there was only a small amount of the Cif liquid left and that it's a dilute solution, althought you can see how much heat was generated from that small amount alone. The warning on not mixing these solutions is because of this reason as not only can you generate very hot mixtures, but you can also release chlorine gas when you mix cleaning agents.

dxx;2161757

Your kid is awesome.

Scum...

MinstrelMan;2161763

I also had one of these sets - I remember asking what the sticky lables … I also had one of these sets - I remember asking what the sticky lables were for, to which my mum replied, "so you can put the names on the test tubes."I got the p*ss taken out of me for years when she came back and there was a lone testube on the side with a sticky label on it with "Kevin" written in my bestest joined up handwriting. :thinking:

I laughed so much I had tears!!! At least I wasn't such a boffin, I just had my get set kits- the chocolate one and the egyptian one (When my son's old enough to have them I'm totally buying two so then I can do one aswell lol:oops:)

bod emrys;2162426

Mix a big bathload of it and let us know what happens!

central heating..... and a very clean bath - very efficent.

energy source? no. energy sauce? yes! try taking a quick swig and you'll be cleaning the kitchen at record speeds!!!

Disclaimer: morris7 does not accept liability for any accidents or deaths caused by carrying out any actions involved with said authors ideas and/or statements.

red_dwarfer;2162253

Scum...

According to my ratio of posts to rep, I'm a better human being than you. So go away.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2836
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would1945
      3. Whoops SNP...Grenfell style cladding all over Glasgow59
      4. love affairs1857

See more discussions