Have you been caught by an Argos scam?

Found 12th Jun
I ordered something to be delivered to a Sainsburys. I then could not get to the store so the item was returned to Argos. The info from Argos is that an automated refund process kicks in.

It doesn't.

Argos wait until you contact them. They are, of course, full of apologies.

Worth scratching your brain to remember if you have been scammed in this way
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
So you chose a store for it to be delivered to and couldn't get there to pick it up so it went back to Argos, that's like arranging for a parcel to be delivered to your home and not being in when it arrives so it goes back to the sorting office, hardly a scam is it.
Not really a scam so I would amend the title as at worst it's a system fault rather than a deliberate act.
18 Comments
Nice, helpful advice. Thank you
So you chose a store for it to be delivered to and couldn't get there to pick it up so it went back to Argos, that's like arranging for a parcel to be delivered to your home and not being in when it arrives so it goes back to the sorting office, hardly a scam is it.
i thought there keep it at store for couple of days
jaketheplumber3 m ago

So you chose a store for it to be delivered to and couldn't get there to …So you chose a store for it to be delivered to and couldn't get there to pick it up so it went back to Argos, that's like arranging for a parcel to be delivered to your home and not being in when it arrives so it goes back to the sorting office, hardly a scam is it.

Jake, stick to the plumbing mate

Thanks for the advice ccnp!
Edited by: "karlypants" 12th Jun
As already said, I don't think it is intentional as most people would be looking out for the refund so they would have to cough up anyway. They would only profit from people who never bother to check if refunds have been given our forgets to do so, and these won't be high in numbers.

It is their system not working properly or it may take a while for the refund to be automated after the return to Argos.
Edited by: "mutley1" 12th Jun
Pricklerickle7 m ago

i thought there keep it at store for couple of days

Argos hold parcel for 7 days.
Not really a scam so I would amend the title as at worst it's a system fault rather than a deliberate act.
wayners5 m ago

Argos hold parcel for 7 days.

I ordered via fastrack recently and they are happy to extend this another 7 days if you can't collect in time.
There have been times I have extended the collection date and still not been able to collect an order. Argos have cancelled the order and automatically refunded me each time. They also send an e-mail confirming this. I have also gone on the Argos website and cancelled an order and they have refunded me in the same way. Never had to contact them.
@CCNP has a valid point. I’ve just gone and checked a couple of purchases at Screwfix. 2 that I know I never got round to picking up and paid by PayPal. There is no record of a refund.
While mistakes happen, it show we do have to watch every transaction. In a computerised age, things are as right as they want it to be.
Oneday7747 m ago

@CCNP has a valid point. I’ve just gone and checked a couple of purchases a …@CCNP has a valid point. I’ve just gone and checked a couple of purchases at Screwfix. 2 that I know I never got round to picking up and paid by PayPal. There is no record of a refund. While mistakes happen, it show we do have to watch every transaction. In a computerised age, things are as right as they want it to be.

I can't believe this. You buy something online and forget to pick it up and you expect the company you bought it from to issue an automatic refund because you're absent minded?

I don't quite understand why you would click and collect then not collect. If you want to buy something and you want to pick it up on Tuesday at sainsburys, short of major catastrophe, why can't you do this? If you want something from argos, can't you just go buy it when you have time? Or maybe get them to deliver ? Not criticising, just don't understand
jaketheplumber52 m ago

I can't believe this. You buy something online and forget to pick it up …I can't believe this. You buy something online and forget to pick it up and you expect the company you bought it from to issue an automatic refund because you're absent minded? [Image]

Eh no, I didn't forget to pick it up. Other things cropped up.
Also yes, i would expect an automatic refund as the goods would be returned to stock. Also as an Online order, no collection\delivery, no completed sale.

However their T&Cs are a little less straight forward now I've dug into them.
5.10 If you do not collect your order within 21 days then your order will be cancelled and the value of your order will be applied as a customer credit to your Screwfix Record. Please call or visit us to arrange a refund.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 13th Jun
Oneday775 h, 3 m ago

Eh no, I didn't forget to pick it up. Other things cropped up.Also yes, i …Eh no, I didn't forget to pick it up. Other things cropped up.Also yes, i would expect an automatic refund as the goods would be returned to stock. Also as an Online order, no collection\delivery, no completed sale.However their T&Cs are a little less straight forward now I've dug into them.5.10 If you do not collect your order within 21 days then your order will be cancelled and the value of your order will be applied as a customer credit to your Screwfix Record. Please call or visit us to arrange a refund.

but Surely they have delivered. You want it sent to a store and that is what they have done. If you think about it, royal mail only hold a parcel at the sorting office for a similar time then they send it back too. The onus is on the person who bought the goods to collect them. If it is in the terms and conditions which you have to tick to say you've read, it is hardly a scam.
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 38 m ago

but Surely they have delivered. You want it sent to a store and that is …but Surely they have delivered. You want it sent to a store and that is what they have done. If you think about it, royal mail only hold a parcel at the sorting office for a similar time then they send it back too. The onus is on the person who bought the goods to collect them. If it is in the terms and conditions which you have to tick to say you've read, it is hardly a scam.

The t&cs state that if paying with PayPal that ID must be shown at the point of collection. A very fair security measure.
Until that point delivery is not complete.

While ‘scam’ may be a bit strong, it is dubious. Reserve an item online with Currys or Argos for store collection , most of the time you pay instore. If you don’t collect it goes back into stock.

Buy anything online, change your mind or it arrives in visibly damaged packaging. The advice is normally to refuse delivery, saves on delays. You are then allowed a refund, again automatically is to be expected.

The reason is not the point here. Until an online ordered item is in the hands of the purchaser, funds should not be permanently withheld. From a business perspective I see why they do but from a security and legislative perspective it’s a little circumspect.

Quite why anyone thinks it’s right for a company to keep funds for a product that is still theirs is beyond me.
Ah but it isn't permanently held though is it? They've covered that by saying it is a customer credit to your screwfix record. They have their bases covered
psychobitchfromhell1 h, 18 m ago

Ah but it isn't permanently held though is it? They've covered that by …Ah but it isn't permanently held though is it? They've covered that by saying it is a customer credit to your screwfix record. They have their bases covered

Almost as if they have deliberately engineered that as a solution for them to profit from no?
Edited by: "Bertz99" 13th Jun
It's not a scam there would no proof of it being collected. I've purchased something in the past at screwfix then changed my mind didn't collect got a refund.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants