Groups

Have you ever been scammed by a seller on eBay?

I've been using eBay for about 5 years now and today I found out that for the first time I got scammed by this guy who was selling books. There were several other buyers who have been scammed too but thank god for PayPal and eBay's Money Back Guarantee.

Have you ever been scammed by an eBay seller?

16 Comments

Not yet

A few times. I bought various video games that were quite expensive for a cheaper price. I got all my money back but it took about 8weeks. Its like the seller was using ebay as a loan company!

Once buy a guy selling Makita power tools. about 10% cheaper than every other seller. He had over 100 feedback all positive. So I risked it and bought a multi tool and never saw it. Paypal refunded me.

I got sent a broken ps4 controller when buying a fully working refurbished one... and the bloke tried to claim I'd not returned the same one... he gassed and moaned that he'd refund as he "had" too then claim back via paypal but funnily enough I heard nothing...

A couple of times. Luckily eBay always side with buyer

Got cheated out of £375, went to buy mobile phone it then got message saying they posted it then message saying they can sell direct, if you pay direct, could have paid through normal buisness PayPal but paid through friends.
    So no cover also tracking they give you is false.
    BUYER BEWARE always.
    Also bought from other country got the Police involved but because under £1000 Euro Pol (old Interpol) cannot take action.
    Edited by: "gumper" 11th Apr

Not really, i have been on amazon though, i ordered a bed which was slightly cheaper than others, new seller so was bound to happen. A to Z guarantee got my money back in a few weeks.

I ordered an iPhone 128gb and the seller sent a 32gb version instead. The seller deleted the listing. I contacted ebay who were hopeless. I then got in touch with PayPal. The seller then said he will send 128gb if I close dispute lol. Luckily I didn't and sent it back. However the seller never opened door for postman so phone was at sorting office waiting collection. He claimed I never sent it and that tracking number was fake and so Paypal closed case. I got in touch with PayPal who checked tracking number and agreed the case was closed incorrectly and refunded me.

Yes. Some years ago I purchased an item. It never arrived. Contacted the seller who said that they had signed proof of delivery. I took this up with eBay/PayPal. At first they sided with the seller, until I pointed out to them that the proof that had been provided showed that it had been delivered to an address over 200 miles from mine and had been signed for by someone with a very different name to mine. Took weeks to resolve.
    Edited by: "bearcat" 11th Apr

Several times. eBay is a scammer's paradise.

Yup scammed recently, try not to sale on ebay anymore if i can.

gumper

Got cheated out of £375, went to buy mobile phone it then got message … Got cheated out of £375, went to buy mobile phone it then got message saying they posted it then message saying they can sell direct, if you pay direct, could have paid through normal buisness PayPal but paid through friends. So no cover also tracking they give you is false.BUYER BEWARE always.Also bought from other country got the Police involved but because under £1000 Euro Pol (old Interpol) cannot take action.

you went outside ebay and got scammed not exactly ebays fault is it ?

Not been scammed by seller (so far)
    Been scammed by buyers tho'
    Also a friend (power seller status) sold an expensive high end phone screen - ended up getting returned for some BS reason (auto refund by paypal of course - before item was returned), when returned and opened, instead of the screen, it contained a box of 12 or 24 condoms!!, (about the same weight / size box when wrapped)
    receptionist has signed for it without checking the contents - so paypal / ebay / PO didn't give a flying fig,
    Police got involved eventually.
    Sellers beware!
    Edited by: "Roderz" 11th Apr

Quite a few times I've purchased something that was a scam, never lost a penny though, Ebay/Paypal always sort it, so I can't fault them for that and why i'll continue using them.
    Amazon on the other hand ....

Sellers no. But buyers yes. Becoming more and more frequent.

Had buyers attempt it a few times. Worst one was a watch arrived not working. I asked the guy to (on the off chance) take it to a jewellers and have the battery replaced and i'd return the cost of battery, to which he flatly refused and demanded a refund and then he would send the watch back. This caused me to contact Ebay and pre warn them that someone was trying to scam me(on the basis that his reply was blunt and unreasonable).

A couple of days later he contacted me stating that no refund had been received and that he would be opening a case. Case opened, both parties put points across, he lied about taking it a to a jewellers and the new battery not solving the problem (i'd already advised Ebay that this is the course of action i suggested to take but at no time did he inform me that he was going to do so.)

End of the case Ebay found in his favour (didn't bother me as i would get the watch back), several weeks passed and no watch was returned, several emails from the buyer demanding a refund to which each reply was "refund will be given when the watch is returned as per Ebay policy. He then opened a paypal case and didn't get anywhere as the case was still open on Ebay (because of him). More weeks passed and nothing heard from him.

I've also had some people say they haven't received items (items under £20 i don't bother with recorded as its covered under RM policy) that have been sent recorded and they have signed for the item.
    Edited by: "mac9091" 12th Apr
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Has anyone bought fitted wardrobes from Sharps?12
      2. Can you machine wash wool suit trousers that state "dry clean only"?77
      3. Are smart parking limited legitimate11
      4. Help O2 wont repair my sony experia xz22

See more discussions