Have you had any micro SD cards fail on you recently?

Found 24th Jun 2015
I'm getting a bit irritated with micro SD card failures at the moment, I've just bought a new Samsung Evo 128GB card from Amazon and it's failed on its first transfer. It's the fourth card to fail on me this year joining two Sandisk 32GB class 10 cards and a Sandisk 128GB card.

The cards were all used in different devices and with different readers plus there's a few other cards in the mix (two 32GB Sandisk Class 10's, one Sandisk 32GB class 4 and three Samsung 64GB class10 cards) that seem to have lasted better despite similar use to the others. I don't think the cards were fakes either, they were bought from Tescos and Amazon plus they passed h2testw initially (bar the 128GB card which I didn't bother testing)

I'm wondering if I'm just going through a spell of bad luck or others are seeing higher failure rates with high speed micro sd cards?
Community Updates
AskCardMicro SDSD Card
7 Comments
mine fsilef
MAdam98

mine fsilef

Eh?
I've had many memory cards over the years SD, MicroSD, CF, and more. Never had a single card fail on me, only had one dud which was the fake 8gb 99p 'deal' from bespoke offers last year.

What seems to be the problem with the ones you have as it seems a bit of a high rate of failure unless you're going through 100's of cards.
we only have problems if we fill the cards up completely, so now we always leave 10% free.
Astec123

I've had many memory cards over the years SD, MicroSD, CF, and more. … I've had many memory cards over the years SD, MicroSD, CF, and more. Never had a single card fail on me, only had one dud which was the fake 8gb 99p 'deal' from bespoke offers last year.What seems to be the problem with the ones you have as it seems a bit of a high rate of failure unless you're going through 100's of cards.

Similarly I've used many flash cards over the years and apart from the rubbish Smartmedia cards, only had the odd SD card fail here and there hence I'm surprised to see so many failing. I haven't had any full size SD cards fail recently despite having similar use although they're primarily Transcend and Kingston.

The failure is the same each time, the card switches to a read only mode which I initially thought was some feature of micro SD cards I'd accidentally tripped but on checking with Sandisk it's an intentional feature in the event of a failure on the card to try and preserve the existing data. The failed cards cannot be formatted nor can pass a chkdsk.

I'm wondering if the Samsung 128GB is a fake though as the other failed cards did so months after purchase and after a decent amount of data transfer whereas this one failed on its first go. It's direct from Amazon but it's not the first time they've shipped fake Samsung micro SD cards apparently. There were no negative reviews last night but today I noticed there's a single one star review stating the card is a fake, I'll need to have a proper look and see how to identify a fake one

John
Edited by: "Johnmcl7" 24th Jun 2015
No matter where I buy my cards from, I test them with h2testw when new (got stung years ago by an Amazon Marketplace seller and that was once too many).

I've had a few MicroSD cards over the years, the only one that failed on me was over a year old. A 64GB Sandisk Ultra SDXC card (red/silver) - many complaints of that card failing.
I should have tested it first but just impatient in this case. I'm not so sure it is a fake as the packaging is good quality and all the guides I've found for identifying Samsung fakes don't show any issues with this one.

John
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions