Have you seen any homeless people on the streets today?

Posted 30th MarEdited by:"Willy_Wonka"
Not a popular topic for some but Councils were told to house all rough sleepers in England by the weekend.

If you have seen anyone sleeping on the streets today then please complain to your Council & get them housed now.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
deleted2462218
666FU30/03/2020 19:15

Most rough sleepers choose to sleep on the streets. These people are bone …Most rough sleepers choose to sleep on the streets. These people are bone idle lazy and cant even be bothered to stand up whilst they beg.

Do you have any stats to support this claim? Or did the Daily Mail tell you so? Anyways stay safe

Most rough sleepers choose to sleep on the streets. These people are bone …Most rough sleepers choose to sleep on the streets. These people are bone idle lazy and cant even be bothered to stand up whilst they beg.

That's a shocking over view, some times circumstances dictate what happens that people can't cope with or don't have the means or know how to deal with. They are not all alcoholics or junkies.
666FU30/03/2020 21:19

Who said anything about a hostel? Loads of unskilled work available where …Who said anything about a hostel? Loads of unskilled work available where I live (Swindon) yet there are still rough sleepers. They could easily get a job paying £300+ a week, rent a room for £100 and live a comfortable life. But as I said they choose not too.

It doesn't work like that in "real" life. I want to pick your argument apart but cannot be bothered because it is typical fantasy ignorance.

I sincerely hope you do not end up living rough with no money. However, if you do then you will change your opinion quite quickly. That is a promise.
I’ve not left the house personally so haven’t seen any, but it’s a shame it takes a worldwide pandemic for our homeless to be seen worthy of housing
43 Comments
deleted2462218
The only problem is that the council's weren't given any extra funding to do this. They are doing an amazing job tbf
deleted246221830/03/2020 19:06

The only problem is that the council's weren't given any extra funding to …The only problem is that the council's weren't given any extra funding to do this. They are doing an amazing job tbf

They already have funding as part of their budgets from years & years ago & they already had a legal duty to house the vulnerable out of their budget.

So they are not due extra money.
deleted2462218
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 19:10

They already have funding as part of their budgets from years & years ago …They already have funding as part of their budgets from years & years ago & they already had a legal duty to house the vulnerable out of their budget.So they are not due extra money.

Birmingham city council for example has lost 50% of it's funding since 2010. This is an emergency situation, so I believe they should receive additional funds. Also they need to house everyone, not just the vulnerable.
Edited by: "deleted2462218" 30th Mar
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 19:10

They already have funding as part of their budgets from years & years ago …They already have funding as part of their budgets from years & years ago & they already had a legal duty to house the vulnerable out of their budget.So they are not due extra money.

Did you see any in your area today?
Most rough sleepers choose to sleep on the streets. These people are bone idle lazy and cant even be bothered to stand up whilst they beg.
deleted2462218

Do you have any stats to support this claim? Or did the Daily Mail tell you so? Anyways stay safe
fearona30/03/2020 19:13

Did you see any in your area today?

No I didn't fortunately.
Yes one....i did see 3 council vans and 6 men pulling old plants out and sticking new ones round the town hall but no bin collections in future....priorities

That's a shocking over view, some times circumstances dictate what happens that people can't cope with or don't have the means or know how to deal with. They are not all alcoholics or junkies.

lol you want them to stand up and beg. I think the Ones who stand up and definitely follow you are most likely the fake ones because the pain your body gets from rough sleeping is very rough.
No been in all day
Could turn council houses in to HMOs, that'd free up some rooms.
deleted2462218
Asura30/03/2020 20:06

You mean homes already tenanted? That would be a breach of the tenancy agreement. There are thousands already on the housing lists in many places, there are far less council properties than in the 80's
I’ve not left the house personally so haven’t seen any, but it’s a shame it takes a worldwide pandemic for our homeless to be seen worthy of housing

Not a bad idea actually. Perhaps disabled people with a two bedroom property to themselves can have a homeless unemployed person living with them who can then be their carer.
666FU30/03/2020 20:37

Not a bad idea actually. Perhaps disabled people with a two bedroom …Not a bad idea actually. Perhaps disabled people with a two bedroom property to themselves can have a homeless unemployed person living with them who can then be their carer.

Great idea they can also look after all their finances go to the bank and do all their shopping and collect their prescriptions, can't see any problems whatsoever

Most are going to be men who are low priority for housing. Yeah some will choose to be on the streets over taking some hostel full of drug addicts, thieves and alcoholics.
L8930/03/2020 21:12

Most are going to be men who are low priority for housing.

Not now the aren't they are as high as you.
L8930/03/2020 21:12

Most are going to be men who are low priority for housing. Yeah some will …Most are going to be men who are low priority for housing. Yeah some will choose to be on the streets over taking some hostel full of drug addicts, thieves and alcoholics.

Who said anything about a hostel? Loads of unskilled work available where I live (Swindon) yet there are still rough sleepers. They could easily get a job paying £300+ a week, rent a room for £100 and live a comfortable life. But as I said they choose not too.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. Not nice.
666FU30/03/2020 21:19

Who said anything about a hostel? Loads of unskilled work available where …Who said anything about a hostel? Loads of unskilled work available where I live (Swindon) yet there are still rough sleepers. They could easily get a job paying £300+ a week, rent a room for £100 and live a comfortable life. But as I said they choose not too.

It doesn't work like that in "real" life. I want to pick your argument apart but cannot be bothered because it is typical fantasy ignorance.

I sincerely hope you do not end up living rough with no money. However, if you do then you will change your opinion quite quickly. That is a promise.

Theres 2 council owned properties on our street been vacant for over a year now, infuriating when I know there is a massive waiting list.
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 21:31

It doesn't work like that in "real" life. I want to pick your argument …It doesn't work like that in "real" life. I want to pick your argument apart but cannot be bothered because it is typical fantasy ignorance. I sincerely hope you do not end up living rough with no money. However, if you do then you will change your opinion quite quickly. That is a promise.

Don't you worry I won't end up with no money sleeping rough because I'm a worker, would happily clean toilets for a living if I had to.
666FU30/03/2020 22:13

Don't you worry I won't end up with no money sleeping rough because I'm a …Don't you worry I won't end up with no money sleeping rough because I'm a worker, would happily clean toilets for a living if I had to.

No you are not. You are what your picture is.
There's a transit van full of Roma that, every morning, goes round the city where I work and drops off around a dozen "homeless" (mostly women) at around 06:30. They're all picked up at "shift change" time at 13:00 where more Roma take their place.
None appear to speak English.
The tourists seem to keep them in business, but I try to discourage them from giving when I see them reaching into their pockets.
There have been some actual flashpoints between them, their minders, and the actual genuinely homeless due to them stealing "pitches". The cops do nothing, no doubt as not to offend.
Edited by: "old_mikefield" 31st Mar
old_mikefield31/03/2020 00:27

There's a transit van full of Roma that, every morning, goes round the …There's a transit van full of Roma that, every morning, goes round the city where I work and drops off around a dozen "homeless" (mostly women) at around 06:30. They're all picked up at "shift change" time at 13:00 where more Roma take their place.None appear to speak English. The tourists seem to keep them in business, but I try to discourage them from giving when I see them reaching into their pockets. There have been some actual flashpoints between them, their minders, and the actual genuinely homeless due to them stealing "pitches". The cops do nothing, no doubt as not to offend.

Why don't you report it. Its obviously slave labour. The police will do something now.
Willy_Wonka31/03/2020 00:38

Why don't you report it. Its obviously slave labour. The police will do …Why don't you report it. Its obviously slave labour. The police will do something now.

They've not done anything in over two years, unlikely they'll do anything now - they're smart enough not to have been out in the last week or so.
Anyway, it's not a crime if it's "cultural". Different laws for different people.
old_mikefield31/03/2020 01:08

They've not done anyhing in over two years, unlikely they'll do anything …They've not done anyhing in over two years, unlikely they'll do anything now - they're smart enough not to have been out in the last week or so. Anyway, it's not a crime if it's "cultural". Different laws for different people.

Oh I thought you meant they were out recently. Anyway, next time you see it report it. Times have changed
tryn2help31/03/2020 01:19

Comment deleted

But now is the time to nick them all. Because they will be running out of money & will have to raise their heads again soon.
Willy_Wonka31/03/2020 01:09

Oh I thought you meant they were out recently. Anyway, next time you see …Oh I thought you meant they were out recently. Anyway, next time you see it report it. Times have changed

Report it to whom? The cops? The same ones that pass them every day and know EXACTLY what's going on? Come on...

The genuine homeless are eyes and ears for the cops, they know precisely what's happening. Nothing is being done, and nothing will be done. We're all still too scared to look like we're r****t.
old_mikefield31/03/2020 01:22

Report it to whom? The cops? The same ones that pass them every day and …Report it to whom? The cops? The same ones that pass them every day and know EXACTLY what's going on? Come on...The genuine homeless are eyes and ears for the cops, they know precisely what's happening. Nothing is being done, and nothing will be done. We're all still too scared to look like we're r****t.

Times have changed for good. Just report slave labour when you see it.
Willy_Wonka31/03/2020 01:24

Times have changed for good. Just report slave labour when you see it.

Dude, just saying "times have changed" on repeat does not make it true. Police will not act on this without proof. Nor will they investigate to get said proof. Meanwhile, genuine homeless people receive less "income" at the hands of an imported fake homeless cartel.
old_mikefield31/03/2020 01:34

Dude, just saying "times have changed" on repeat does not make it true. …Dude, just saying "times have changed" on repeat does not make it true. Police will not act on this without proof. Nor will they investigate to get said proof. Meanwhile, genuine homeless people receive less "income" at the hands of an imported fake homeless cartel.

Dude. How would you know unless you picked up the phone and called the police if you ever see it again? Just try it.
Willy_Wonka31/03/2020 01:38

Dude. How would you know unless you picked up the phone and called the …Dude. How would you know unless you picked up the phone and called the police if you ever see it again? Just try it.

I have already had conversations with the local constabulary. It's an effective shrug. I'm not going to call them and leave my details as I do not wich to be thought of as intolerant of other people's "ways".
tryn2help31/03/2020 01:38

Comment deleted

But it is a different time now. Police may have more time to deal with things. The usual friday & saturday night alcohol street crime has virtually stopped. No car crashes because less on the road. No burglaries because everyone is at home. Just try the police out rather than comparing where we are now to 2 months ago.
old_mikefield31/03/2020 01:45

I have already had conversations with the local constabulary.

You have already said before that you have had no recent contact. If you see it again then try again.
Unfortunately seen quite a few. Some on buses I bet on the longest route. McDonald's used to have some but now closed. So much for none should be on the street during outbreak!
Edited by: "ChuckTheDuck" 31st Mar
In Glasgow city centre, where I live, (as highlighted by Ed Stafford when he did the TV series 60 Days On The Streets) they are all gone after sunset. No matter what season it is.

There's still beggars out during the day (on the brief occasions I've been out recently) but I suspect most are looking to support a habit. My particular pet hate is those sat at ATM machines - who pipe up as soon as you put your card in (ie, they're watching you). I've seen people fighting over a "pitch" when *they shouldn't be there in the first place*.

Unfortunately, many of the people I've encountered begging have been pretty aggressive (and this is me just going about my day, usually with headphones on!).

One homeless centre had a COVID-19 scare but they've re-opened again. In saying that, my heart goes out to those who are genuinely humble, hard done by and fallen on tough times.

What I think happens here is the ones who are really in need are likely more "silent", in demeanour and in voice - they don't speak up, don't argue with the public or try to harass people, and are so low in spirits they are almost unseen. I'm sure they're out there and I hope they get the help they need.
Edited by: "louiselouise" 31st Mar
old_mikefield31/03/2020 00:27

There's a transit van full of Roma that, every morning, goes round the …There's a transit van full of Roma that, every morning, goes round the city where I work and drops off around a dozen "homeless" (mostly women) at around 06:30. They're all picked up at "shift change" time at 13:00 where more Roma take their place.

You're not from Liverpool are you by any chance? because the same thing has been happening here for a while they even have small dogs and puppies with them to play even more on peoples consciences,the dogs get rotated between different beggars in different locations so everytime you see one they have a different dog with them.
This disgusting behaviour is clearly visible to anyone who works and travels around the city centre like myself.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 31st Mar
PaulandPam31/03/2020 09:28

You're not from Liverpool are you by any chance? because the same thing …You're not from Liverpool are you by any chance? because the same thing has been happening here for a while they even have small dogs and puppies with them to play even more on peoples consciences,the dogs get rotated between different beggars in different locations so everytime you see one they have a different dog with them.This disgusting behaviour is clearly visible to anyone who works and travels around the city centre like myself.

Afraid not, it proves that this is a method used across the country.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions