Expired

Have you turd the one about the Amazon delivery woman?

Found 2nd Dec 2017
Community Updates
OP, are you being educated by us real good? Say thanks to us please? A like or two may be welcomed since you posted this c r a p thread, are you on the side of the bosses or the employees? Or you could/couldn't care a shi.?
Misc
13 Comments
Anybody from kindergarten onwards can imagine this happens when it is really urgent and you know there is no toilet for miles, and you are pushed for time in gig economy on a dollar or more per parcel, in Sacremento where it is just streets and streets of housing with the odd parks here and there, I have been there last year, driven around (and how are you to set your satnav when you need to do it quick, perhaps loose bowel with no spare trousers in van and under threat of late delivery with trackin?!).

32627709-IGVZy.jpg

Pay people peanuts, get monkeys.

I remember a video of a female delivery driver literally driving the big America style parcel van up onto to people's lawns to be in throwing range of porches.
I don't know how this effects third party drivers though read in a article written in The Sunday Mirror (26 November) that Amazon drivers have faced fines for “early” deliveries too.
catbeans24 m ago

Pay people peanuts, get monkeys. I remember a video of a female delivery …Pay people peanuts, get monkeys. I remember a video of a female delivery driver literally driving the big America style parcel van up onto to people's lawns to be in throwing range of porches.

Yes, in most cases if an employer pays very low wages, they cannot expect to find good staff but it appears this woman was desperate for the toilet. In this instance it was more to do with what the previous contributer pointed out: the gig economy. It's got very little to do with wages, it doesn't make a difference if you're under pressure to deliver a certain amount of items at a very specific time, etc. The same thing might happen even if you are paid more, the same pressures would still be there.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 2nd Dec 2017
Second instalment, if you think of having a poo in a culture of fear in gig economy is bad, let me remind you of this, having a baby in a service sector growth industry with culture of fear and pressure :-

worker 'gave birth in the toilets' because of 'culture of fear' in warehouse

and to go to the extreme and the extra points in business miles, the businessmen complained to the BBC and complaint was not upheld (complaint about BBC's 'toilet birth' story rejected)

and to get topical with couriers MPs quiz Sports Direct boss over couriers' pay
Edited by: "splender" 2nd Dec 2017
LemonHead2 h, 2 m ago

Yes, in most cases if an employer pays very low wages, they cannot expect …Yes, in most cases if an employer pays very low wages, they cannot expect to find good staff but it appears this woman was desperate for the toilet. In this instance it was more to do with what the previous contributer pointed out: the gig economy. It's got very little to do with wages, it doesn't make a difference if you're under pressure to deliver a certain amount of items at a very specific time, etc. The same thing might happen even if you are paid more, the same pressures would still be there.

Yeah I get that. They are under alot of pressure to deliver though and is probably GPS tracked, so even if she had realised in time she couldn't.

Meh wages play a part, not just in finding good staff, but even good staff will not be motivated payed next to nothing but perhaps if they payed her better she would be willing to risk stopping somewhere to go, rather than holding it (assuming a scenario where she didn't get caught off guard).

As much as people even complain about poor service here in the UK when you look at what they get payed, working conditions and the pressure of the job, I am not surprised they regularly fail to go the extra mile or even live up to expected standards.
Edited by: "catbeans" 2nd Dec 2017
splender34 m ago

Second instalment, if you think having a poo in a culture of fear in gig …Second instalment, if you think having a poo in a culture of fear in gig economy, let me remind you this, having a baby in a service sector growth industry with culture of fear and pressure :-worker 'gave birth in the toilets' because of 'culture of fear' in warehouse

plymouthherald.co.uk/new…527
shadey128 m ago

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/amazon-warehouses-harsh-working-conditions-838527

OP, are you being educated by us real good? Say thanks to us please? A like or two may be welcomed since you posted this c r a p thread, are you on the side of the bosses or the employees? Or you could/couldn't care a shi.?
shadey129 m ago

http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/amazon-warehouses-harsh-working-conditions-838527

very up to date 27th Nov, no surprise here
LemonHead1 h, 48 m ago

I don't know how this effects third party drivers though read in a article …I don't know how this effects third party drivers though read in a article written in The Sunday Mirror (26 November) that Amazon drivers have faced fines for “early” deliveries too.

from bad to worse, read the comment and follow through the link to the Plymouth Herald original source of news The Mirror
OP's post reads like he is taking a pop at the victim than having a go at her bosses
splender54 m ago

from bad to worse, read the comment and follow through...

I'll just go through the motions, thanks.
32639243-IClEC.jpg
splender2nd Dec

OP, are you being educated by us real good? Say thanks to us please? A …OP, are you being educated by us real good? Say thanks to us please? A like or two may be welcomed since you posted this c r a p thread, are you on the side of the bosses or the employees? Or you could/couldn't care a shi.?

Think it might be more of a case of the OP not actually thinking through what they were about to post. Or maybe it was just a case of posting this in jest. If I'm going to be kind to the OP I would say maybe the latter as humour sometimes gets lost on the internet.

Anyway, regardless of why they posted this has also reminded me of an article I read quite some time ago.

I'm also guessing the term gig economy is a "safer" way of saying turbo capitalism for those who don't want to be associated with those who are more inclined to be left leaning which this appears to be, turbo capitalism that is.

Personally, and as you've mentioned this in your previous post, I'm not anti business, it's the ethics that concerns me more.

Anyway, I thought you might find the following interesting.

Rush To Nowhere by Richard Swift: New Internationalist issue 343.
Edited by: "LemonHead" 4th Dec 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants