Groups

Haven or Butlins??

Hi I'm looking for some reviews of these holiday camps as I cant choose what to do this year. Last year we went to Primrose Valley Haven and really enjoyed it, although we did find all the little extras added up, but the kids clubs and evening entertainment were great. I've heard you get things included at Butlins and wondered if it was worth a go! It's either a toss between Skegness Butlins or Primrose Valley Haven.

Prices for a week when we want are
    £405 Prestige Haven (as superior plus was ok, but was cold so would like heating in bedrooms).

Butlins £379 Silver

Or Butlins £550 Silver Bed/Breakfast and Dinner - is this worth it? Is it nice food? I like the idea of not cookin and washing up :-) (We spent over £100 on shopping last year at Haven) However the rooms look teeny tiny.

If someone has been to both Haven and Butlins and can share any thoughts and experiences it woud be much appriciated :-)

Thanks

Oh BTW I have 2 kids 6yr old girl and 3yr old boy

32 Comments

Butlins, everyday.
    Soooo much more to do at Butlins although Haven is much cleaner

Original Poster

Does it work out cheaper at Bulins then? We are on a major budget:|

Have you tried to get one of The Sun newspapers' £9.50 deals (well, they're £15 pp in the Summer)? We've done quite a few of these, and actually did Butlins Minehead through this too - albeit a few years back.

Yes, there is more to do at Butlins, but if remember correctly some of the things were extra there too.
    We prefer the accommodation in Haven. At least with a Caravan you don't have attached neighbours. We found the Butlins accommodation we had very dated, not 100% clean and you could hear the guy .... cough ;-) three doors down.
    Last year we were down Cornwall way through John Fowlers and had a chalet, and it was attached at one side. It was very spacious and we didn't hear anything from next door - maybe we were lucky. We had to pay real prices (no Sun deal) but it was less than £400 for during early July.

HTH

Butlins are better, more entertainment and activites, and they have just recently had the accomodation refurbished. Plus there is the free funfair.
    We are going to Butlins in May we found a deal on ebay for a privately owned caravan, and it cost us £129 for the week for 3 adults 2 children, electric/gas and passes included.
    Went to primrose valley in october hols and it was freezing in the caravan, plus the heating broke down on us and was left overnight without heating or hot water cause they said they had no engineer till 9am in the morning and still didn't arrive in the morning so we couldn't have a shower before we left, and got no apology when we complained.

We have the same dilemma this year, we did Pontin's in Blackpool last year and OMG that place is so run down its not even funny!

We were at Butlins Skegness the year previous and entertainment for the kids etc was great, food was OK ( it beat having to go self catering) but the walls are paper thin as as other have said you can hear whats going on in the entire block.

We are thinking of either going back to Skegness again this year or looking to goto Haven Marton Mere in Blackpool.

Alton towers is better. :thumbsup:

last time we went to butlins at skegness we stopped in a caravan(all the wheelchair accessible chalets were booked), there is a tunnell that connects the caravan site to main complex.
    sister went same time in an apartment and it was very small,,only had 2 bedrooms and a bathroom(oh and a kettle lol)but they meals included which they said were very good.

link below to where we booked caravan which includes upto 6 passes
    familycaravanholidays.com/ind…tml

cheers
    scooby

neither

centerparcs

Original Poster

centreparcs costs a fortune!!! Also nothing included oh except swimming!

Original Poster

scoobydoobydooo;4096280

last time we went to butlins at skegness we stopped in a caravan(all the … last time we went to butlins at skegness we stopped in a caravan(all the wheelchair accessible chalets were booked), there is a tunnell that connects the caravan site to main complex.sister went same time in an apartment and it was very small,,only had 2 bedrooms and a bathroom(oh and a kettle lol)but they meals included which they said were very good.link below to where we booked caravan which includes upto 6 passeshttp://www.familycaravanholidays.com/index.htmlcheersscooby

Thanks Scooby, looked on ebay for some of these as well. Are the passes the exact same ones as what you get if you book Butlins direct?

omg butlins last time we went there it was a major health hazzard, it was awful, my friend went last year and said the same, its minging esp the one at minehead, apparently the others are slightly better, never done haven as my butlins experience put me off for life

As the lights turn on:

[SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]Haven........Holidays![/COLOR][/SIZE]

Then stagger back to your caravan.

Original Poster

robtallica;4099110
    As the lights turn on:

eh?

Original Poster

Anyone tell me if there is much difference between standard and silver?

one cleaner than the other maybe ? no dont know, does it not tell you in the description the difference ?

robtallica;4099110
    As the lights turn on:

:giggle: happy days

Op if you asking about the difference between standard and silver for Haven - silver are newer and therefore less used caravans. Not sure about Butlins but hope that helps

Supalynz;4099012

Thanks Scooby, looked on ebay for some of these as well. Are the passes … Thanks Scooby, looked on ebay for some of these as well. Are the passes the exact same ones as what you get if you book Butlins direct?

have done some private caravan site rentals and are usually better quality for cheaper. well pleased but parks dear, though we got out many of the days and find free things to do, museums, craft places etc. can be really great.

have found the difference in standard is that dearer is often closer but then can also be noisier. ya pays yer money. you might be better looking at cottages or the like on offer nearby and buying day passes off e... or privately. some really great deals can be had if you hunt, like cottages4you etc. most kid friendly ones have great games etc and playstations etc there for kids.

dont find haven staff very friendly, not much experience of butlins though so cant compare. pontins not quite as bad. we have a wheelchair user so if they cant be friendly and helpful to us what are they going to be like for joe normal???

Supalynz;4099012

Thanks Scooby, looked on ebay for some of these as well. Are the passes … Thanks Scooby, looked on ebay for some of these as well. Are the passes the exact same ones as what you get if you book Butlins direct?

Hi,yes pass's were same as sisters who stayed in apartments

cheers
    scooby

We're heading to Blue Dolphin Haven this May...pretty cheap price for 4 adults and 3 kids (4, 2 and 1)...I haven't been since I was young myself so fingers crossed the kids enjoy it as much as me and my sister did! The superior plus works out cheaper than the standard package at the time we're going....not sure why!

Hi for the last four years I have gone to butlins Skegness but stayed at the adjoining caravan site! I still get passes for butlins and I am treated as if I stay in an apartment but it costs me way less this year it is costing me to stay in a luxury caravan for two weeks with bedding £600 for eight people, I would check if the Butlins you are asking about has a caravan site attached and check on google what the private caravans charge
    Either way I find Butlins alot better than Haven more to do Have fun xxx:thumbsup::-D

P.S There IS loads for the Kids to do and it's FREE and you could go and get lost at the biggest outdoor market in europe! 10 mins walk away GREAT BARGAINS!!!!!

Original Poster

Thanks much guys, thinkin we might get one of those private caravans with the Butlins passes included. About £370 for a luxury dbl glazed fully central heated 8 birther. I think they are on the butlins caravan site too, is it skylight park or something? Gonna google earth it in abit see how far n stuff.

Saying this - the only thing i am still pondering is whether it would be better for us to go half board or not as most people say food onsite is well expensive. We wont eat out much but maybe a couple of brekkies in the week and maybe a couple of dinners, but that added with the Tesco shop before we get there - mmmm - i dunno!?!?!? Grr, i'm my own worst enemy cant choose anything.

Gotta try Butlins, like i said we did love Haven last year was great, so its the old stick with what you know, or see what your missing dilemma. It does seem you get more for 'free'. Anyone know how much the go karts, crazy golf and lazer quest is? as funny enough they are are faves but it says 'charges apply'

Thanks again guys :thumbsup:

hi google family caravans they are who we go with and they are great honestly, have funnxx

Hi Just to say that we went to Skegness last year and had a great time - your kids will have loads to do and it is right next to the beach also. The lazer quest and golf and things are about £3-4 each if I remember, but you can get a £10 deal which includes lazer, bowling , cinama and games of pool I think! There are rides for both ages that are all free as many times as you want and tbh they are prob both a bit young for lazer quest, I went in with my 6yo son and he was a bit scared and the pack was a bit heavy for him. I loved it though!:whistling:
    We went self catering and you get a lot more room - kitchen, lounge, etc, to relax in in the day if you want a rest and you can always buy half board passes there per day or if not the other food eg fish and chips isn't too dear. Food is decent though and reasonable if you are going to use it all the time - can't remember opening hours of restaurants but they weren't very long til 9.30 - 10 for brekkie and up til 6.30ish for dinner maybe?
    Great shows for the kids and other stuff going on all the time - get things booked early.
    Hope you have a great time. cheers.
    steve

Original Poster

Wolvesfan306;4139456

Hi Just to say that we went to Skegness last year and had a great time - … Hi Just to say that we went to Skegness last year and had a great time - your kids will have loads to do and it is right next to the beach also. The lazer quest and golf and things are about £3-4 each if I remember, but you can get a £10 deal which includes lazer, bowling , cinama and games of pool I think! There are rides for both ages that are all free as many times as you want and tbh they are prob both a bit young for lazer quest, I went in with my 6yo son and he was a bit scared and the pack was a bit heavy for him. I loved it though!:whistling:We went self catering and you get a lot more room - kitchen, lounge, etc, to relax in in the day if you want a rest and you can always buy half board passes there per day or if not the other food eg fish and chips isn't too dear. Food is decent though and reasonable if you are going to use it all the time - can't remember opening hours of restaurants but they weren't very long til 9.30 - 10 for brekkie and up til 6.30ish for dinner maybe?Great shows for the kids and other stuff going on all the time - get things booked early.Hope you have a great time. cheers.steve

Thanks Steve, I'm booking a Caravan mid June on the site for £350 and its a little belter! Its got full central heating, double glazing, 3 bedrooms TV and DVD in main room and master bedroom. Ensuite to the master also, all butlins passes, gas and leccy for £350. 2 mins walk from the subway and its really stylish too :-D I'm dead looking forward to it now

i prefer have my children are 6 ,4 and 3
    i have been butlins although apartment was ok
    it was all too big the club at night and the whole place really
    kids was frightened as it was so busy and noisey
    i think your better off at a haven with young ones
    much better children get friends easy where as at butlins we found it that big we didnt see the same people again
    to be honest i prefer haven too so did my husband much more laid back still as much to do
    apart from having no fairground

We've been to many Havens over the years and would deffo recommend! This year though we are going to try either Park Resorts or John Fowler holiday parks so we can use our clubcard deal vouchers.

HAVEN IS BETTER, HAVE YOU TRIED THIS SITE "www.haven.com/invitation"
    just click on the book now on the left hand side all sites and any time of the year
    which is ideal for school hols

Just been to Bognor Regis and Wow!!! So many changes and so much to do from previous Butlins Holidays. The Sports were great and they had just opened a new Sports area with an amazing Beach Volleyball pitch. I still cant believe how much Sports there was to do.

butlins, if you go for standard its cheaper & its closer to everything, not so much of a cold trek when you leave the pool, foods great, you can eat as much as you want ,:-D
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1547
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767273
      3. Spotify Family Premium share614
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***317

See more discussions