Having a cat without a cat flap

20 replies
Found 25th May 2009
My boyfriend and I are moving in together in the next few months and are hoping to get a cat- we'll be renting however, and although we're looking for a ground floor flat with a garden, it's unlikely we'll have a cat flap so will have to let the cat in/out ourselves. Is this fair on the cat? Don't want to get one if it's not!!! Cheers x

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
20 Comments

We have never had a cat flap, and have several cats. Ours are quite hapy to shout at me when they want to go outside or even use a window, (their favourite at the moment is my sons bedroom window cos they can step out onto the roof and wander up to the chimney where there are usually some rather tasty pigeons to be eaten!)

my daughter moved back home with 2 cats and we have no cat flap,our back door is all glass so cant put on in anyway but we let them out quite a bit and they are fine,need to keep them in for a few weeks when you first get them though our vet said 4 weeks,but they are fine,good luck:)

Should be fine, they'll generally let you know when they want out, and they'll find ways of letting you know when they want back in, like jumping onto the window ledge outside or somthing.

Banned

Lots of people with cats don't like them being in the house when they're not around and shut them all day or all night. It's not unfair. Cats will always find somewhere to go and sleep and don't seem to mind if they're inside or out.

For what it's worth I agree with what has already been said - believe me - when I want to go out THEY (my captors) know about it!

I have a special way of letting them know..... I like a litter tray sometimes in case of accidents in the nite when they point blank ignore me, despite my best attempts to get under the duvet and under their feet!

So - no problem without a cat flap from [COLOR=red]meeeee-ow![/COLOR]

Purrrrrrrrrr

xxxx

Ours is an indoor cat although he does wander out sometimes (always at night when we let the dogs out before bed, and then he finds somewhere to hide in the hedge and it takes ages to find him!! Its only when the local tart is on heat though.)

We have 3 cats and no cat flap. This has not caused a problem as like others say they tell us when they want to go out or they find an open window!!

My cat used to scratch on the door to come in or go out, i'm sure your cat will let you know!

Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies guys, it's really reassured me and now I can't wait to get the little monkey(s?!) xxx

Original Poster

Adorable!! I love the close up, like 'what you looking at'?!?

smithyp1;5311539

We have 2 cats and havn't got a cat flap.They stay in while were at work … We have 2 cats and havn't got a cat flap.They stay in while were at work but when were at home or just out and about they are also out playing.These are my 2 monkeys ...http://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj150/smithyp1/008.jpg jasperhttp://i271.photobucket.com/albums/jj150/smithyp1/003.jpg riley

Sloth/Mod

I leave the window open for mine and they go out of that if we are out. And if anyone else feels like coming in there is a 7 stone dog with big teeth and a hatred of strangers waiting for them. :-D

Now if i only lived in a skyscraper i'd get my revenge for years of scratched sofas. :lol:

We have five cats, have never had a cat flap. Like others say, they will find ways of letting you know they want to go out.

We keep 3 in at night so always have a litter tray, the other 2 prefer to sleep in the shed (which does have a cat flap!).

Definitely get a cat, we only went a month without one and the house didn't feel right, so we got 2 which I would definitely recommend as they love company during the day and ours love cuddling up together. Don't know how it happened, but within a year we ended up with 5!!! But I wouldn't have it any other way.

Good luck with yours.

Original Poster

Thanks for the advice I can't wait to have a cat- I'm just finishing uni and have gone 3 yrs away from my home where I grew up with cats so I miss them like mad!! It's going to be lovely having little furry friends around again!

KazzyD;5311837

We have five cats, have never had a cat flap. Like others say, they … We have five cats, have never had a cat flap. Like others say, they will find ways of letting you know they want to go out.We keep 3 in at night so always have a litter tray, the other 2 prefer to sleep in the shed (which does have a cat flap!).Definitely get a cat, we only went a month without one and the house didn't feel right, so we got 2 which I would definitely recommend as they love company during the day and ours love cuddling up together. Don't know how it happened, but within a year we ended up with 5!!! But I wouldn't have it any other way.Good luck with yours.

I've got a kitten and she refuses point blank to use the cat flap - she's terrified of it. So, whenever I'm in, I leave the back door open or the kitchen window wide open and she uses those to come in and out. Then at about 8pm , I just shout her from the back door and she comes leaping over the back fence and runs into the house and she stays in for the night. If I'm out and about, then she stays in until I get back and she seems perfectly happy with this arrangement. Not that she could do much about it if she wasn't :-D

If you really want cats,make sure you get a landlord that allows pets if private rent.

Like with housing association here you gotta contact them if you want a pet,I know dogs are not allowed in the flats around here but not sure about cats.

Charlie&Lola;5313648

I've got a kitten and she refuses point blank to use the cat flap - she's … I've got a kitten and she refuses point blank to use the cat flap - she's terrified of it. So, whenever I'm in, I leave the back door open or the kitchen window wide open and she uses those to come in and out. Then at about 8pm , I just shout her from the back door and she comes leaping over the back fence and runs into the house and she stays in for the night. If I'm out and about, then she stays in until I get back and she seems perfectly happy with this arrangement. Not that she could do much about it if she wasn't :-D

Hehe that's what my cat used to do

your cat will meow when he wants to go out.

Don't worry cats are selfish creatures, if they arent happy with you, they'll leave and go somewhere more comfy.

I really admire them lol x x

starsparkle2311;5314023

hmm, that's the thing, been in my house for 3 years, never see my … hmm, that's the thing, been in my house for 3 years, never see my landlord, tenancy agreement says I should ask for permission before getting a pet, I didn't, not sure how they'd feel if I stuck a cat flap on their door, but hey, we have our cat now and love him.i don't like letting him out at night, but when he does go out, he always makes it known when he wants in again, scratches, pines at the door, or like I say, jumps on the handle and lets himself in,lolHe's still a kitten, so I like to keep him in, for his own protection, too many tom cats round here as it is, they'll tear him up.

My housing association house was full of fleas when I moved in,got it sorted and without expense to me,but this is 1 of the main reasons landlords don't want pets in,again if they damage or scratch anywhere.

Original Poster

Cheers, definitely only looking for places that allow pets and also a garden!!

Mum2Connor&Cerys;5313682

If you really want cats,make sure you get a landlord that allows pets if … If you really want cats,make sure you get a landlord that allows pets if private rent.Like with housing association here you gotta contact them if you want a pet,I know dogs are not allowed in the flats around here but not sure about cats.

Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition62653
    2. Win two star gazing festival tickets in the north pennines11
    3. Win a £100 Amazon Voucher From LoveMyVouchers33
    4. Chat magazine issue 4323

See more discussions