Groups

having a child to save a child?

did anyone watch this last night? just wondering what peoples views are on it?

27 Comments

didn't see it , but thats a funny avatar

As a mother, your instinct is to do anything that would protect your child. If I was told my child would die and his only option of living was for me to have another child, I soo would.

Any baby which saved its siblings life would be extra special to me, and of course I would want it, how could a mother not?

Didn't watch it but i would.

Syzable;7871136

Didn't watch it but i would.

+1

Me too

on sky plus so will watch it but i defo would. my thinking is that if u love ur child that much ud have another child to help them then u are a very maternal loving person who would love the next child equally anyways.

but havent seen the programme so dont know what issues arose.

it does through up some philosphical/ethical issues, as to whether you would be valuing one life mroe than the other, for example valuing the need for a new child to save one you have, would that be saying in some way that you need a 2nd child to save the 1st, and you value the 1st as a more important life when comparing the two directly. you may think the 2nd one would be more special but would you not be still valuign the 1st as more important as you agreed to have the 2nd to save the 1st....
    its a multiple-sided arguement with many different factors which you would end up going in circles trying to work out but imagine when the 2nd one grows up and its inevitable they will one day think, "my mum had me to save my sibling" you would feel a bit saddened by that wouldnt you..

teshnit;7871222

it does through up some philosphical/ethical issues, as to whether you … it does through up some philosphical/ethical issues, as to whether you would be valuing one life mroe than the other, for example valuing the need for a new child to save one you have, would that be saying in some way that you need a 2nd child to save the 1st, and you value the 1st as a more important life when comparing the two directly. you may think the 2nd one would be more special but would you not be still valuign the 1st as more important as you agreed to have the 2nd to save the 1st....its a multiple-sided arguement with many different factors which you would end up going in circles trying to work out but imagine when the 2nd one grows up and its inevitable they will one day think, "my mum had me to save my sibling" you would feel a bit saddened by that wouldnt you..

parents love their kids equally. i couldnt see myslef saying i love x better than y for whatever reason (i dont have teenagers yet!!) and i think if i knew i was created to help a sibling i would feel a little ...o ok..but then u look at the love u got and how close a family u are and feel blessed u COULD help!!??!

i watched it and also have watched my sisters keeper (a film based with that story line) which is soo sad but i would have to try everything i think to save my child if it happened to me. i think there is two sides thou to haveing a child to save a child as the child when older may feel bit upset that they were only born to help there bro/sis, but then on the other side may be happy they managed to save them and keep the family together so its a hard one but if your in the situation then you would do anything.

better than being born simply cos your parents had an accident surely lol

i think i'd be ok if i was born to save my sibling, i'd know that my parents would do all they could for me if needed

i never watched the programme so i dunno what happened in this situation, but whilst trying to conceive and during the pregancy its highly like your more thinking, thank god im having this baby so i can save this kid i have, rather than omg im so happy im having a new child...and yeh im not to sure what loving your kid is like since im 17 haha

Banned

magicbeans;7871294

parents love their kids equally

Warm and fuzzy, but not true.

Of course a parent would never admit it because they'd think they were 'bad parents'.

sitting here with healthy children my first instinct is to say no(after reading my sisters keeper), but faced with a dying child I would do anything within my power to save them, so I guess thats a yes from me.

I didn't see it but i would do it. I just wonder how you may end up feeling if after having the 2nd things didn't go according to plan and the 1st died anyway. Sorry that was a pessimistic thought.

I think its totally down to how its managed by the parents. If you manage it from the 'you were such a wanted child and the added bonus is that you saved your sibling' point of view then both children might not have a problem with it. But if you are constantly moaning about not wanting any more children but you 'had to' to save the other, then of course the children are gonna have issues!!

No brainer.

Adam2050;7871622

No brainer.

Forget about Filthy............what's your view on the topic? :-D

Original Poster

do u think the ivf treatment should be avaliable on the nhs?
    they said its only for childless coupless at the mo but one of the couples won their 3rd appeal for one attempt at finding a donor match through ivf

I saw the programme advertised but did not watch it. Yes,I would.

I didn't watch the program, but yes, I'd have another child. Although there would be a limit on how much I'd put the new child through to save the other one.

Charlie&Lola;7872757

I didn't watch the program, but yes, I'd have another child. Although … I didn't watch the program, but yes, I'd have another child. Although there would be a limit on how much I'd put the new child through to save the other one.

+ 1

Syzable;7871773

Forget about Filthy............what's your view on the topic? :-D

Oh how it fits both subject matters.

Baby all the way more the merrier.

xxjadexx;7871353

i watched it and also have watched my sisters keeper (a film based with … i watched it and also have watched my sisters keeper (a film based with that story line) which is soo sad but i would have to try everything i think to save my child if it happened to me. i think there is two sides thou to haveing a child to save a child as the child when older may feel bit upset that they were only born to help there bro/sis, but then on the other side may be happy they managed to save them and keep the family together so its a hard one but if your in the situation then you would do anything.

We didnt watch it but have recorded it. I thought it sounded similar to my sisters keeper, which we watched recently

Banned

tinkerbell28;7871521

Says you with no children.............of course it's true.

So you don't love one more child more than the other, or have a favourite?

Feel free to say how 'absurd' it is and mock - but it's true.

Maybe it's the sex of the child, or it's prowess in a certain area that sways it.

kelly_o_fanatic;7877030

We didnt watch it but have recorded it. I thought it sounded similar to … We didnt watch it but have recorded it. I thought it sounded similar to my sisters keeper, which we watched recently

yer its the same sort of thing. if you havent read the book my sisters kepper id recommend it, if you liked the film, the book is sooo much better and got some really good storylines they missed in the film

i watched it. i felt so sorry for both couples...

edjaned u asked shouls it be allowed on nhs...well its not cheap and the doctor didnt need the funding. the other couple did..fair enough...but what gets me is why that second woman who lost a daughter to the disease didnt lose some weight...that will help her with the IVF treatment...i know it sounds awful especially as i know how difficult it is to lose weight...but if ur gonna do anything to have a kid...then she should do her part pre IVF....
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Royal Mail chat says I am not allowed to send paper of any kind to Hong Kon…912
      2. Whoop! Next Sale VIP Slots have been released55
      3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047067
      4. New TV,Film & Ebook Releases 2407239

See more discussions