Having a pet in a own home but leasehold property!

Found 15th Jul 2016
Hi all,

So basically my mum lives alone and has always wanted a dog. We were thinking of getting her a small dog (Pomeranian), she does own the house however it is a leasehold property. I checked the deeds and it says the following - "Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or livestock including domestic pets.

Does this mean its a complete no? Maybe a silly question but she really wants a pet, the occupant below is not keen on animals hence why she's scared if she gets one that she may get reported. Any way of overcoming this so we can buy her the pet?

Much appreciated for any advice in regards to this issue.
Community Updates
AskCar Leasing
16 Comments
she could move
buy the lease hold or see what cost it is to change it?
Mine is leasehold and there is a clause against anything other than domestic pets . My other house is free hold and that had a clause saying no more than two pets . At one time I had two cats and four goldfish but lived to tell the tale . Not sure how they could enforce the clause . Maybe some kind of indoor pet might be a possibility although hamsters aren't really that interesting and lousy company
psychobitchfromhell

Mine is leasehold and there is a clause against anything other than … Mine is leasehold and there is a clause against anything other than domestic pets . My other house is free hold and that had a clause saying no more than two pets . At one time I had two cats and four goldfish but lived to tell the tale . Not sure how they could enforce the clause . Maybe some kind of indoor pet might be a possibility although hamsters aren't really that interesting and lousy company

Do you think if i phoned the leasehold people i might get any joy?
Unfortunately you won't get any joy from the leaseholders. It is a standard clause in leases relating to flats/apartments. The lease would have been clearly explained to your mum by her solicitor before she signed it. The lease obviously has many years to run and as her neighbours will also have signed the same terms of the lease any changes will have to be agreed by not only the leaseholder but also the others who hold the same lease and since your neighbour would object it would be a non-starter. The costs involved would also be very expensive.
Not much you can do, if the lease says this.
Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or livestock including domestic pets.

You could also read that another way, no fowls or livestock that are being kept as domestic pets.
If she's not keeping the pet on the premises, say looking after the pet in the day for people that go out to work and have to leave their pet alone for hours. I know it's not quite the same but it may be of help to both parties. See if she gets a problem from neighbours etc first.
The real issue is if she gets a dog that barks repeatedly, no neighbour will tolerate that in a flat etc.
Argoj

Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or … Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or livestock including domestic pets.You could also read that another way, no fowls or livestock that are being kept as domestic pets.

​thats what i was thinking.
Argoj

Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or … Not to keep or permit or to be kept on the demised premises any fowls or livestock including domestic pets.You could also read that another way, no fowls or livestock that are being kept as domestic pets.

No idea why this has been down voted. It means for example, no chickens even if they are domestic pets, so she can have a dog or cat etc.
Just don't tell them
tomdavidrichards

Just don't tell them

But the neighbour will

any fowls or livestock

A dog is not fowl or livestock.

She is not breaking the lease by having a dog.She can have a dog.

The lease means she cant have a pet chicken or pet cow etc.

Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 16th Jul 2016
mutley1

Not much you can do, if the lease says this.

You are totally wrong mate. Sorry.

She can have a dog & its 100% not against the lease
No Micro piggies ?
http://blog.timesunion.com/highschool/files/2011/11/piggy-1.jpg
Joking aside it looks like dogs are ok but you can't keep livestock as pets. i.e. no pet ducks, micro pigs, goats etc, pretty much anything you can eat. You can eat Guinea Pigs and rabbits but I guess that's only if you're breeding them on a big scale.
Have any neighbors got dogs?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants