Having an operation and getting a cold a few days before..

9 replies
Found 22nd Sep 2009
Will they still operate? or cancel it?

arghhhh

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
9 Comments

Banned

It depends on the operation and the infection you have. If its one that will attack your immune system, probably not, but just a cold should be ok. I would contact the hospital

Banned

I would imagine because of "swine flu" they will be be very cautious

The most important thing is your chest, they won't give you anaesthetic if you are chesty.

Original Poster

sculpturatus;6359103

It depends on the operation and the infection you have. If its one that … It depends on the operation and the infection you have. If its one that will attack your immune system, probably not, but just a cold should be ok. I would contact the hospital

Big operation, 10 days in hospital, 8 weeks recovery

queenlush;6359115

The most important thing is your chest, they won't give you anaesthetic … The most important thing is your chest, they won't give you anaesthetic if you are chesty.

Doesn't feel too bad at the minute, I just feel snotty, but daughter has a cold at the minute, so I'm worried.

Typical

wow good luck with ur op....sounds like a biggie. get well soon hun

Probably you'll be OK, my sister had this problem but hers was only a small operation. She needed a general anaesthetic but it still went ahead with her having a cold.

Original Poster

magicbeans;6359205

wow good luck with ur op....sounds like a biggie. get well soon hun

This is my second try for this op, last time it was cancelled as there was no bed, was expecting the same again this time, knowing my luck there will be a bed, but they will say no as I have a cold

Annie1508;6359243

Probably you'll be OK, my sister had this problem but hers was only a … Probably you'll be OK, my sister had this problem but hers was only a small operation. She needed a general anaesthetic but it still went ahead with her having a cold.

That's the thing, it isn't a small op, it's a 5 hour jobbie, so I have a feeling they will say... NO!

Doctor will review pre-op listening to lungs etc and take blood sample looking for signs of infection (raised white cell count, raised CRP (an inflammatory marker), then anaesthetist will review aswell. Just having a cold should be fine.
Hope the operation goes well

Original Poster

edslack_2000;6359282
Doctor will review pre-op listening to lungs etc and take blood sample looking for signs of infection (raised white cell count, raised CRP (an inflammatory marker), then anaesthetist will review aswell. Just having a cold should be fine.
Hope the operation goes well

well that sounds a bit more promising, so long as it's only a cold, maybe I'll be ok.

lol
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Foo fighters presale code.98
    2. Is there an official Disability ID card ?1531
    3. Why was the deal I just posted removed?56
    4. Whey protien34

See more discussions