Groups

Hawaii Tsunami

Is anyone watching the live coverage of the coasts in Oahu on Fox News, Sky News and BBC News?

Sea looks pretty rough but no real signs of the big waves yet....experts are saying that it could last hours.

42 Comments

i don't see anything on BBC ?

thanks - wow - must be tsunami if the waters are recceding

Well guessing it will have been caused by the quake in Chile.

i don't see anything particully tsunami like ?

I've been watching CNN live since 7pm, and they are showing live videos from multiple sources non-stop, no interruptions.
    So check there to see if you can.

Banned

denandyas;7972538

i don't see anything particully tsunami like ?

me to

yeah , i was watching the live feed posted in the link , but see not much there .
    In BBc reports though they have some map showing the timed after efects of the earthquake - quite a large area is efffected
    news.bbc.co.uk/1/h…stm

They had waves of 6 feet hitting French Polynesia a few hours ago, so i would say that there may be more to come from Hawaii, it could have lost a lot of strength though.

Banned

DarkKnight;7972646

They had waves of 6 feet hitting French Polynesia a few hours ago, so i … They had waves of 6 feet hitting French Polynesia a few hours ago, so i would say that there may be more to come from Hawaii, it could have lost a lot of strength though.

9 in the morning they said

ryman1000;7972708

9 in the morning they said

Yeah 9 feet around the immediate areas.

Banned

DarkKnight;7972785

Yeah 9 feet around the immediate areas.

no 9am GMT, or was you joking ?

ryman1000;7972797

no 9am GMT, or was you joking ?

French Polynesia got hit around 6pm GMT, not 9 hours before that if that's what you are talking about?

x wires lol

Banned

DarkKnight;7972824

French Polynesia got hit around 6pm GMT, not 9 hours before that if … French Polynesia got hit around 6pm GMT, not 9 hours before that if that's what you are talking about?

aaaah 9am in hawaii to your original post :giggle:

looks to be a non event in the sense that the tsunami happened without much effect -

ryman1000;7972922

aaaah 9am in hawaii to your original post :giggle:

Ah ok lol :thumbsup:

While i've been watching the live videos from Hawaii, i've seen quite a lot of videos where i've seen guys surfing or walking along the beach.
    They're such idiots. I mean swimming in the sea when you hear a Tsunami is on the way? What a noob.

yeah i know - they don't seem to be too bothered which i'm quite surprised

denandyas;7972942

looks to be a non event in the sense that the tsunami happened without … looks to be a non event in the sense that the tsunami happened without much effect -

Well it has had effect, a lot of ports in Chile have been destroyed by a Tsunami of around 9 feet high.
    And islands such as French Polynesia recieved 6 foot waves.
    So it is strange why we haven't seen any major waves in Hawaii, i guess it must have lost a lot of energy along the way.

DarkKnight;7972943

Ah ok lol :thumbsup:While i've been watching the live videos from Hawaii, … Ah ok lol :thumbsup:While i've been watching the live videos from Hawaii, i've seen quite a lot of videos where i've seen guys surfing or walking along the beach.They're such idiots. I mean swimming in the sea when you hear a Tsunami is on the way? What a noob.

For surfers, I don't think they could get better waves than when a tsunami hits. Some people risk it to hit that perfect wave.

I'd rather be heading towards that higher ground, whether or not it hits, its a chance people should not take after seeing what has happened to previous countries when they have had one hit

thank god ..... hawaii have been lucky

anthonyt;7972967

For surfers, I don't think they could get better waves than when a … For surfers, I don't think they could get better waves than when a tsunami hits. Some people risk it to hit that perfect wave. I'd rather be heading towards that higher ground, whether or not it hits, its a chance people should not take after seeing what has happened to previous countries when they have had one hit

Well a Tsunami usually hits with such devastating force, so it would be certain that a surfer would come off their board, and once they're under the water, there would be severe currents that could drown you, or you could hit underlying debris.
    So in any Tsunami situation, going surfing is probably going to get you in the next Darwin Awards pretty quick.

DarkKnight;7972985

Well a Tsunami usually hits with such devastating force, so it would be … Well a Tsunami usually hits with such devastating force, so it would be certain that a surfer would come off their board, and once they're under the water, there would be severe currents that could drown you, or you could hit underlying debris.So in any Tsunami situation, going surfing is probably going to get you in the next Darwin Awards pretty quick.

It would depend how skillful the surfer was - some of the waves in Maui at Jaws reach 70ft. Its where they filmed the opening surfing scene for "Die another day"

gari189;7973048

It would depend how skillful the surfer was - some of the waves in Maui … It would depend how skillful the surfer was - some of the waves in Maui at Jaws reach 70ft. Its where they filmed the opening surfing scene for "Die another day"

The event you refer to is not a Tsunami, it's just a location of abnormal wave activity. There are more locations around the world where these freak waves occur, usually only a couple of times a year, some only once a year. You have to get the timing very exact.

If a guy could surf an actual Tsunami and survive the process, then it would be a monumental achievement.

The Tsunami warning for Hawaii has now been lifted, they really got lucky there.

phew - dark knight - do you know someone id Hawii? You seem to be keepin a close eye ---

denandyas;7973185

phew - dark knight - do you know someone id Hawii? You seem to be keepin … phew - dark knight - do you know someone id Hawii? You seem to be keepin a close eye ---

Lol, no i've just been keeping a close eye on the news all day. Just concerned, as an 8.8 is such a massive Earthquake, i'm suprised that it's not as bad as it should have been, but that's a good thing.
    I wish i could visit Hawaii one day though, looks like a great place to visit.

yes i agree , looks like a lovely place to go ....hopefully one day fingers crossed

Japan is on Tsunami alert now.

yes i thought they had an earthquake of 7 in okinawa??

Banned

hows the tsunami watch going?

denandyas;7973293

yes i thought they had an earthquake of 7 in okinawa??

Yeah a few days ago just off the coast of the Ryukyu Islands. They have had their fair share of Tsunamis in the past though.

Banned

DarkKnight;7973138

The event you refer to is not a Tsunami, it's just a location of abnormal … The event you refer to is not a Tsunami, it's just a location of abnormal wave activity. There are more locations around the world where these freak waves occur, usually only a couple of times a year, some only once a year. You have to get the timing very exact.

Sounds like a bore.

A tidal bore (or just bore, or aegir) is a tidal phenomenon in which the leading edge of the incoming tide forms a wave (or waves) of water that travel up a river or narrow bay against the direction of the current. As such, it is a true tidal wave (not to be confused with a tsunami)

not much happening, complete washout

Original Poster

DarkKnight;7973217

Lol, no i've just been keeping a close eye on the news all day. Just … Lol, no i've just been keeping a close eye on the news all day. Just concerned, as an 8.8 is such a massive Earthquake, i'm suprised that it's not as bad as it should have been, but that's a good thing.I wish i could visit Hawaii one day though, looks like a great place to visit.

Media still hasn't reached the epicentre yet...they are expecting things to be very bad there - obviously.

As for Hawaii, they are quite lucky in my opinion. Just saw Dog Chapman on FOX News this morning and he was saying that it was quite an experience but a scary one.

what the bounty hunter......yes i agree with Hawaii ...but what about the other areas .. have they escaped ... are they still on watch / alert?

Original Poster

denandyas;7974816

what the bounty hunter......yes i agree with Hawaii ...but what about the … what the bounty hunter......yes i agree with Hawaii ...but what about the other areas .. have they escaped ... are they still on watch / alert?

Yeah Dog, Beth and the family.

Hawaii has had their tsunami alert lifted but have been warned to stay away from the coasts just to be sure. The Phillipines have started to evacuate people. away from the coasts

Meadsy4742;7974791

Media still hasn't reached the epicentre yet...they are expecting things … Media still hasn't reached the epicentre yet...they are expecting things to be very bad there - obviously.

I hope they've got their armbands when they get there as it was in the sea. :-D

I can just imagine dog standing on the beach, pepper spray in hand, screaming at the tsunami " get on the floor now!"

Original Poster

Syzable;7974930

I hope they've got their armbands when they get there as it was in the … I hope they've got their armbands when they get there as it was in the sea. :-D

Meh, you know what I mean, the damage is miles and miles long and the media have only started on the outskirts - according to FOX News anyways.

Original Poster

Goonieman;7974942

I can just imagine dog standing on the beach, pepper spray in hand, … I can just imagine dog standing on the beach, pepper spray in hand, screaming at the tsunami " get on the floor now!"

Haha, Dog is ace, I reckon he'd be calling the tsunami on his cell phone saying 'Oloha, this is Dog the Bounty Hunter, we have a warrant for your arrest boy, just come on in and we'll do this the nice way...WHAT....AMA CATCH YOU F*&@ING ICEHEAD''
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would34
      2. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17846377
      3. Underrated/unappreciated movies.2630
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047138

See more discussions