Hawkins Bazaar In Adminsitration

Posted 24th JanEdited by:"minifig290"
3394648.jpg

Another week another high street retailer in administration, this time sadly its the toy and gadget retailer Hawkins Bazaar to be put into administration putting 19 stores and 177 workers at risk.

This isn't the first time the chain has been in trouble in 2011 the retailer closed a majority of its stores and managed to come out, in 2016 the retailer was brought by Merino but in 2018 put up for sale.

Their online store is currently online but only for browsing they have stopped orders and click and collects but all their stores are open with a massive closing down sale which sorta was disguised as its January sales earlier in the month.

Customer Support (FAQ): hawkin.com/cus…ice

The 19 stores at risk are as followed:

- Basildon
- Bath
- Belfast
- Bluewater in Dartford
- Bristol
- Cambridge (now closed, closest Stevenage)
- Cardiff
- Exeter
- Harlow
- Hereford
- Norwich
- Poole
- Preston
- Solihull
- Stevenage
- Taunton (now closed, closest Exeter)
- Truro
- Worcester
- York

With immediate effect the following stores are closed:

- Dundee
- Shrewsbury
- Milton Keynes
- Newcastle
- Metrocentre Newcastle
- Worthing
- Basingstoke
- Chelmsford
- Carmarthen

(Taunton and Cambridge are now also closed despite being open a few days longer than the 9 above)

3394648.jpg------------------------ A CLOSING DOWN HAWKINS BAZAAR STORE--------------------------

From what I've heard some of these stores have had Closing Down sales starting earlier this week such as the Worcester store, and some stores have already shut since Christmas.

The retailer is popular for its Funko POPs and RC gadgets, and recently tried to get sales up with LEGO but sadly the future of this pretty cool place seems dark.

MORE INFORMATION VIA BBC: bbc.co.uk/new…822

So far 2020 has seen the demise of Mothercare then both Hawkins and Beales go into administration.
Community Updates
36 Comments
Tbh I’ve never heard of it
Arto24/01/2020 19:12

Tbh I’ve never heard of it

They don't really have many stores anymore, used to have a lot more but closed a lot during their 2011 administration. They are similar to Menkind or Red5
Edited by: "minifig290" 24th Jan
Brick and mortar stores have been going the way of the dodo for a while now. I remember being shocked when virgin megastores shut down over a decade ago. Now a days it's it's not really a surprise when a store shuts. If you work in retail, it time to review your skills and move into something else.
deleted1794535
Really not surprised! Stores were like ghost towns. Occasional foot traffic but no big spenders.

MenKind will be struggling too I expect given they are very similar.

W.H. Smith should be on the way out soon too.
deleted179453524/01/2020 19:25

Really not surprised! Stores were like ghost towns. Occasional foot …Really not surprised! Stores were like ghost towns. Occasional foot traffic but no big spenders.MenKind will be struggling too I expect given they are very similar.W.H. Smith should be on the way out soon too.

Agree that Menkind are very similar but there stores tend to be much busier than many Hawkins stores. Menkind do a better job at locating their stores in high foot traffic areas unlike Hawkins from what I've seen.

Though disagree that WHSmiths will be gone anytime soon, their travel stores are what keep them afloat.
deleted179453524/01/2020 19:25

Really not surprised! Stores were like ghost towns. Occasional foot …Really not surprised! Stores were like ghost towns. Occasional foot traffic but no big spenders.MenKind will be struggling too I expect given they are very similar.W.H. Smith should be on the way out soon too.

I noticed some Whsmiths combining with PostOffice. Same with Argos and Sainsburys in certain Towns. Its novel and practical ideas like this that retails need in order to survive....well at least for next 10 years.
Edited by: "AnkerMan" 24th Jan
deleted1794535
minifig29024/01/2020 19:31

Agree that Menkind are very similar but there stores tend to be much …Agree that Menkind are very similar but there stores tend to be much busier than many Hawkins stores. Menkind do a better job at locating their stores in high foot traffic areas unlike Hawkins from what I've seen.Though disagree that WHSmiths will be gone anytime soon, their travel stores are what keep them afloat.

Just cause they have high traffic doesn't mean high takings!

They essentially sell eBay items for high street prices.

There must be some kind of market for it but unsure if it could be big enough.
Who?
I'm amazed they lasted as long as they did. They sold mostly tat iirc.
They use to seem like a set up before Xmas and then disappear type store hasn’t been one for few years.. was always worth a look but mainly for a sales bargain
deeky24/01/2020 19:44

Who?

I'll translate for my Northern extended family...

Others have bought me gifts from there in the past, & I have been in the store in Bluewater Shopping Centre, Stone, Kent (postal district of Greenhithe, Dartford) a few years ago, but left empty-handed due to the pricing of the products.

They were probably popular in the run-up to Christmas for novelty/different/unusual presents, but after processing refunds & returns into January, I expect they knew closure was inevitable.
I'm confused a bit with this. The Aberdeen store closed just after Christmas, but there is definitely a store in Dundee. But there's no mention of that branch either on the website, or in the BBC news story?
alg24/01/2020 20:00

I'm confused a bit with this. The Aberdeen store closed just after …I'm confused a bit with this. The Aberdeen store closed just after Christmas, but there is definitely a store in Dundee. But there's no mention of that branch either on the website, or in the BBC news story?

Ahh your right, looking at BirminghamLive they say that 20 stores are at risk so im assuming that missing one from the BBC article is the Dundee store.

I'm confused a bit with this. The Aberdeen store closed just after …I'm confused a bit with this. The Aberdeen store closed just after Christmas, but there is definitely a store in Dundee. But there's no mention of that branch either on the website, or in the BBC news story?

The details about the Dundee branch must have been removed from the site recently.

Google's Cache shows the absent page:

[ webcache.googleusercontent.com/sea…=uk ]

Within the text on that page is...

Tom Straw and Simon Thomas were appointed Joint Administrators of Hawkin’s Bazaar Limited on 23 January 2020. The business and property of Hawkin's Bazaar Limited are being managed by the Joint Administrators who, together with their staff, act as agents of Hawkin's Bazaar Ltd and contract without personal liability.

So it must have been removed within the last day or so.

PS. The address for that page now just shows the other eighteen "Shops found":

[ hawkin.com/sho…dee ]
Edited by: "fanpages" 24th Jan

Now I check Hawkins website there is no listing of the Dundee branch so I'm assuming either that store has closed with immediate effect or that store might be owned by another company or they've just forgotten about that store.
minifig29024/01/2020 20:09

Now I check Hawkins website there is no listing of the Dundee branch so …Now I check Hawkins website there is no listing of the Dundee branch so I'm assuming either that store has closed with immediate effect or that store might be owned by another company or they've just forgotten about that store.

Maybe - it was open on my way to work, but I went a different way on the way home. Guess I'll find out on Monday...
deeky24/01/2020 20:14

How touching

It depends on the status of my restraining order.
Bound to happen.

pop up stores for xmas, they used to always put one into SIlverburn in Glasgow but not this year

Im really surprised in the election campaign no one put forward a plan about business rates killing off the high street.

I look at other cities ive been in recently -
Dublin - everything costs a bomb, their streets are full of UK brand shops and hardly an empty store to be seen
Warsaw - at the other end of the scale the place is dirt cheap, wages are low in relation to that but again hardly an empty store to be seen despite a massive Westfield shopping centre 15 mins outside the city centre

I dont get how two extremes seem more vibrant than the UK does and assuming its all down to tax and business rates as I doubt the UK's online shopping fascination is any higher than Dublin's
Sorry to hear but people use stores now to look at products and then buy online.

I bought 3 pre made stockings from the store at Xmas but that was my first purchase in 3 years.

People now browse instore for non essential items and buy online. They'll even pay for expidited delivery which will bring the price above what's instore but that's Jeff Bezos for you.
jase.224/01/2020 21:03

pop up stores for xmas, they used to always put one into SIlverburn in …pop up stores for xmas, they used to always put one into SIlverburn in Glasgow but not this year

Not the ones in Dundee and Aberdeen - they've both been/were there for several years.
Used to be really good shops for gadgets and Xmas junk, but went terribly downhill over the last 5 years or so...
My friend has lost her job. The management kept them in the dark and said nothing as they knew before Christmas, so she has to put claim into the government, not good start for her new year
dorey6925/01/2020 12:53

My friend has lost her job. The management kept them in the dark and said …My friend has lost her job. The management kept them in the dark and said nothing as they knew before Christmas, so she has to put claim into the government, not good start for her new year

That's awful, tbh most people only knew of their struggles after Christmas, they've kept it in the dark for everyone.
Hope your friend has an easy time finding a new job.
minifig29024/01/2020 19:31

Agree that Menkind are very similar but there stores tend to be much …Agree that Menkind are very similar but there stores tend to be much busier than many Hawkins stores. Menkind do a better job at locating their stores in high foot traffic areas unlike Hawkins from what I've seen.Though disagree that WHSmiths will be gone anytime soon, their travel stores are what keep them afloat.

I was of the understanding it was their newspaper delivery network that kept WH Smith going. However, as printed news is dying out they won't have that stream for ever.
Everything is at least 50% off at all Hawkins stores, the Worcester store look particularly bare, all funko are between £3.75 and £7.49, pocket money toys are as low as 27p and even their adult stuff are half price. RCs are also 50% off. Some great bargains to be had.

I think I might have a lead on what's up the Dundee store reading through the Customer Support the company has set up to help customer, staff and suppliers of Hawkins. At the bottom of this page hawkin.com/cus…ice is a little read about the Stores and it says "Most stores are currently open for trading", so probably means that the Dundee store closed when they went into administration.

Though I cannot confirm if it is definitely closed but my best bet is that It more than likely is.

Looking on Google Maps give you this google.co.uk/map…=en
Edited by: "minifig290" 25th Jan
Sadly some stores closed with immediate effect of them entering administration from what I can see.

- Dundee
- Shrewsbury
- Milton Keynes
- Newcastle
- Metrocentre Newcastle
- Worthing
- Basingstoke
- Chelmsford
- Carmarthen

Aberdeen's store closed just after Christmas

Plus 1 more store has shut since this thread was written

- Cambridge
Well we had one in chelmsford that's been there for a good few years now in the shopping centre. I bought an item in there before christmas for my son. And its faulty so had to email them. That's when they replied saying the email address was no longer in use. Maybe a lot of people don't use their shop, but because it's in my local town I was unaware they are so sparse.
Well, wandered past the Dundee one this morning. Not only has it closed, but it's also completely stripped of merchandise.
alg27/01/2020 09:49

Well, wandered past the Dundee one this morning. Not only has it closed, …Well, wandered past the Dundee one this morning. Not only has it closed, but it's also completely stripped of merchandise.

Visited the Worcester store on Saturday and the store was revenged only a few pocket money toys and RCs and surprisingly very few Funko pops. I believe the stores that shut on Friday will have their stocks transferred to the 18 remaining stores along with all the remaining online stock as they have suspended online sales.
Looks like Taunton and Cambridge have both shut since this thread was written according to the Store Locator
EVERYTHING UP TO 70% OFF, Stores are coming up to their last few days of trading quite quick. My best guess is that all stores will be shut by either this Sunday or next Sunday so if your wanting a visit, I'd recommend going this weekend. Before today everything was up to 50% off, so intrested to see what my local has tomorrow.

As of writing these 17 stores are still open but this list is probably going to be inaccurate in the coming days:

- Basildon
- Bath
- Belfast
- Bluewater in Dartford
- Bristol
- Cardiff
- Exeter
- Harlow
- Hereford
- Norwich
- Poole
- Preston
- Solihull
- Stevenage
- Truro
- Worcester
- York

(I will be updating you on the events of Hawkins administration until either they are all closed or are saved)
Edited by: "minifig290" 31st Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants