Groups

Hazard Perception Test

Can anybody give a full description and help towards the mentioned test as my partner keeps failing it and I had to list the question under personal finance as I may need to remortgage the house because of what it is costing! I have been driving years and keep failing example tests also........

34 Comments

It's probably best to buy the DVD, it's only £7 from Amazon:

amazon.co.uk/Dri…016

Then your partner can practice as much as is needed.
    Edited by: "rikkif1990" 18th Oct 2016

Original Poster

rikkif1990

It's probably best to buy the DVD, it's only £7 from … It's probably best to buy the DVD, it's only £7 from Amazon:https://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2016/dp/1843266164/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1476818750&sr=8-2&keywords=hazard+perception+test+2016Then your partner can practice as much as is needed.

​Ill give it a go, cheaper than another failed test I suppose!

So basically, they show videos (as I'm sure you know) and some of them have one hazard, but one or two of them have two.
    Things that are hazards can be:
    Someone overtaking in a bad area/passing too close
    Wet leafs on the road (slip/skid risk)
    Failing to give way
    Just remember not to overclick as it will score you 0 for that clip.
    You don't have to click the hazard just anywhere on the screen at the time of hazard, you get a score based on how quickly you spotted it i.e. 5 points if within 2 seconds and one less point per half second after that

There are many free examples online too if you look.

Original Poster

have been trying this free online one..... here

Original Poster

can anyone else pass that online one?

fozed78

​Ill give it a go, cheaper than another failed test I suppose!

It should be worth it, the DVD got me through mine first time anyway!

try one of the companies that offer unlimited tests until you pass..

nipperssom.com/lea…ee/

probs not the cheapest but as a example..

Original Poster

nathan3007

So basically, they show videos (as I'm sure you know) and some of them … So basically, they show videos (as I'm sure you know) and some of them have one hazard, but one or two of them have two. Things that are hazards can be:Someone overtaking in a bad area/passing too closeWet leafs on the road (slip/skid risk) Failing to give wayJust remember not to overclick as it will score you 0 for that clip. You don't have to click the hazard just anywhere on the screen at the time of hazard, you get a score based on how quickly you spotted it i.e. 5 points if within 2 seconds and one less point per half second after that

​You have just helped a lot thanks

Banned

I bought the app for my phone. Just have to tap when you see what could be a hazard. Ie; someone crossing, a car moving to overtake. Simple, I passed it first time with the app.

If you're in a position that you feel its necessary to remortgage your house to pay for this test then maybe your partner should give up?

fozed78

​You have just helped a lot thanks

No problems :), also its worth noting the clips are of terrible quality (must of been filmed on an android) so some of the hazards are hard to see until its too late, if it slows you down or causes you to change your course of direction then its a hazard

Original Poster

len_ere

If you're in a position that you feel its necessary to remortgage your … If you're in a position that you feel its necessary to remortgage your house to pay for this test then maybe your partner should give up?

​she has had around 150 driving lessons and 5 theory tests. she switched to Automatic lessons only around 10 lessons ago. I am not leaving this to rest because of the cost so far...... which I really don't want to work out [not an angry enough emoji here]

fozed78

​she has had around 150 driving lessons and 5 theory tests. she switched t … ​she has had around 150 driving lessons and 5 theory tests. she switched to Automatic lessons only around 10 lessons ago. I am not leaving this to rest because of the cost so far...... which I really don't want to work out [not an angry enough emoji here]

Wow that's a lot . Does she get to practise between lessons ? It must be costing an arm and a leg . I have an automatic at the moment . Wouldn't have another but I get its one less thing to worry about .

fozed78

​she has had around 150 driving lessons and 5 theory tests. she switched t … ​she has had around 150 driving lessons and 5 theory tests. she switched to Automatic lessons only around 10 lessons ago. I am not leaving this to rest because of the cost so far...... which I really don't want to work out [not an angry enough emoji here]

150 driving lessons? I don't mean to be rude but honest that must be exaggerated.

I thought 20 was around average. I'm not sure if it's possible but is there no friends or family who have already passed that could sit down and explain the hazard perception part and also show her?

I advise she keeps practising them until she feels confident that she can pass in a test otherwise you would be wasting more money. I assume the questions are okay for her and its just the video part.

Original Poster

I may be exaggerating, because the 150 lessons are spread over around 15 years, between which she has given it a go and then given up. The switch to Automatic was due to this. she can drive no problem and can pass all the theory questions no problem but fails this stupid hazard perception test, which I can't seem to pass either.

Banned

I'd suggest you both quit driving if you can't pass a simple awareness test.
    Edited by: "WonkyDoctor" 18th Oct 2016

Original Poster

WonkyDoctor

I'd suggest you both quit driving if you can't pass a simple awareness … I'd suggest you both quit driving if you can't pass a simple awareness test.

​I would suggest you stop commenting, if you have to 'edit your comments' so much.

I did the motorcycle theory test last week (scored 69/75 on the hazard perception)

I understand that if you have failed it 5 times you can request that someone from the test company accompanies you - there were issues about people clicking too early at one time - might be worth looking into if you think that here awareness is actually ok and there might be another reason why she fails.

Is she single clicking or overclicking? Don't just click once. I clicked whenever I would have touched the brakes, eased off or altered course as a result of a hazard.

Get her to do a commentary whenever you are in the car together - look at examples on youtube of advanced driving commentaries - do this regularly both of you - see if you are both being aware of what is going on around you.

Edited by: "mas99" 18th Oct 2016

nathan3007

No problems :), also its worth noting the clips are of terrible quality … No problems :), also its worth noting the clips are of terrible quality (must of been filmed on an android) so some of the hazards are hard to see until its too late, if it slows you down or causes you to change your course of direction then its a hazard

The clips are CGI now - certainly better quality than the freebie samples that I found. Also you cant click on the hazard because the mouse pointer is not visible during the video show.
    Edited by: "mas99" 18th Oct 2016

mas99

The clips are CGI now - certainly better quality than the freebie samples … The clips are CGI now - certainly better quality than the freebie samples that I found.

Its like they were horrible quality, but could of been better, I did my theory about 3 years ago

Hazard perception is easy, Sadly if she is struggling spotting an hazard on a video she could be dangerous on the road. It's harder to fail.!.

If you've both been driving for a while then it's most likely your clicking before the computer is set to have the hazard.
    The click when you see it count to 2 or 3 then click again method should massively improve your scores.

Don't take any more lessons until she has the theory with that many lessons she should be practical ready so get the theory then as soon as she has the certificate get the practical booked and test route lessons

go to a the local library they should have a hazard perception test u can do there that shows u after where the hazard was I went through that link u put on went to around clip 6 and gave up its too long I don't suppose that tells u what the hazard is at the end and whether u clocked before or after don't give up on her my wife passed after about 10 years on off she had problems with steering worse thing I think to have a problem with hitting curbs and randomly trying hit cars on other. side.of road anyway I gave up on instructors as they just couldn't get her to fix her problem a lot of driving in own car and shouting finally got her licence a couple years ago know

To be brutally honest if she can not pass a hazard awareness test after that many tries and all the practice I would strongly suggest she should not be driving full stop. Some people are just not cut out to be drivers. I haven't tried it before and a single try I scored 71 out of 75. Ask yourself if you would truly be happy with her behind the wheel, it would only take one child to run out and that would be two lives ruined.

If she insists on carrying on buy her a moped. There is no quicker way to learn about hazards then six months riding one.
    Edited by: "Argoj" 18th Oct 2016

Easy.... Anything that's moves click once.

fozed78

I may be exaggerating, because the 150 lessons are spread over around 15 … I may be exaggerating, because the 150 lessons are spread over around 15 years, between which she has given it a go and then given up. The switch to Automatic was due to this. she can drive no problem and can pass all the theory questions no problem but fails this stupid hazard perception test, which I can't seem to pass either.

​if it's any consolation my ex passed on her 5th attempt after 100+. lessons in the 80s. good luck.

I've used a Android app. It's very comparitive and worth paying £2 for full version. This one:
    play.google.com/sto…ree

28 out of 75, had to skip two and apparently I was clicking too early when I saw the hazards...
    43 out of 50 in the multiple choice.

CaptCShadow

28 out of 75, had to skip two and apparently I was clicking too early … 28 out of 75, had to skip two and apparently I was clicking too early when I saw the hazards...43 out of 50 in the multiple choice.

​Though I was only clicking once per video...

fozed78

can anyone else pass that online one?

Just gave it a go, passed 1st time, 45 out of 75. Not the best score but I've never done a hazard test before.

Passed no problem 58 points out of a possible 75.

essexlibraries.theorytestpro.co.uk/lib…drp
    Use your library rescources at home for free, above is the link to my local libraries , but all libraries seem to offer driving test stuff both hazard perception and theory now. My son passed his proper tests first time yesterday after practising on here. It's not hard, I've been driving almost 30 years and gave it a go , passed straight away. Without wishing to sound patronising has she read the instructions, initially my son thought he just "knew" what to do and found it was quite different to what was actually required. Also if she is just regularly clicking at timed intervals it will be an automatic failure for cheating on that section. She needs to click when she first sees the hazards and then again if they escalate, some clips will have more than one hazard. I would have to agree with above posters though 150 lessons is a little mad, the average is closer to 30 , maybe it just really isn't for her.
    theorytestadvice.co.uk/haz…php
    Full instructions on how to do it here.

Edited by: "tinkerbellian" 19th Oct 2016

fozed78
    You have scored 54 points out of a possible 75
    3.86 per clip
    (Got locked out of one clip as I wanted to see if their anti-cheat was included haha).

Your partner needs to treat it as developing hazards.
    Someone walking down the street is not a hazard.... if they look back at you then chances are they are going to step out, this is now a developing hazard (nothing may come of it but its worth a click).

I have recently passed pcv hazard perception (no idea if its the same as the car, i passed a while ago). out of like 18 clips, only 1 of them had a double hazard the rest of them were single. I didn't click more than 5-6 times.

Sometimes you will find that the system doesn't think you can see the hazard yet and you click... you score 0.
    Be careful not to get locked out of a clip but try and click like twice or three times to a definite hazard.

Eg. Pedestrian comes out from behind bushes next to a zebra crossing, car in front of you. When you see the pedestrian you can click, when you see the car in front brake you can click, and then to be safe click once the pedestrian is actually on the zebra crossing (maybe like as the opposite traffic notices this).

If she is getting locked out for 'cheating' then review her clicking methods, if its just the fact that she is scoring low then help her out identifying what is classed as an hazard. (a narrow right bend is not a hazard... but if there's a tractor coming taking up the road it is!).
    Good luck!.
    Edited by: "dai007uk" 19th Oct 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047163
      2. word association Game74044552
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767400
      4. It is a Yorkshire pudding wrap.1527

See more discussions