HBO the target of hacking - Game of Thrones Leaks

Found 1st Aug 2017
It seems HBO have been hit by a cyber attack, releasing GoT episodes and possibly a script from an upcoming episode. It seems the hackers have plans to release yet more episodes in the future. The network (HBO) released the following statement

“We immediately began investigating the incident and are working with law enforcement and outside cybersecurity firms. Data protection is a top priority at HBO, and we take seriously our responsibility to protect the data we hold.”

All in all, the hackers claim to have around 1.5TB of data so far, although HBO are not disclosing the amount of data accessed nor the shows that may be affected by the security breach.

Game of Thrones has a MASSIVE following, it even managed to grab my own attention and usually, these types of shows don't interest me at all. It does make me wonder why such information is connected to an accessible network so far ahead of the actual release dates of the show. After previous GoT leaks and other shows, you'd think that networks would have a better system to keep their shows well away from prying eyes.

Personally I like the wait, it keeps me wanting more and with the end of GoT incoming, I want to avoid spoilers as much as possible. If the shows final episode was released onto the WWW, we're almost guaranteed to have the end of the ruined by social media on some level.

Hopefully things will tighten up and that won't happen, but it's a genuine concern for a lot of people. I guess we'll find out soon.

*Notice*
I will ask that no one mentions any key scenes / deaths from GoT, as there are loads of people that haven't caught up yet - If you haven't seen it... give it a go

News Source - Entertainment Weekly

2754273.jpg
Community Updates
MiscGame of Thrones
Top comments
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20431456_10159095470145176_6655670665205123082_n.jpg?oh=ddc172cbaf21303d45dbc766b49e7b42&oe=59FCB686
22 Comments
Love GoT and enjoy watching it weekly. However, now that the shows are ahead of the books, I would be worried about spoilers from the people that have watched ahead.
If the hacked content gets released online and is 1080 with good audio, I would be tempted to watch them.
https://scontent-lht6-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/20431456_10159095470145176_6655670665205123082_n.jpg?oh=ddc172cbaf21303d45dbc766b49e7b42&oe=59FCB686
NeoTrix

I will ask that no one mentions any key scenes / deaths from GoT, as … I will ask that no one mentions any key scenes / deaths from GoT, as there are loads of people that haven't caught up yet

Got it! So no mention of the battle for the lunar base or that Jaime Lannister is killed by King Bran.

You can count on us!

http://i.imgur.com/s8SdaXZ.gif
Edited by: "RossD89" 1st Aug 2017
Pointless hack. True fans have either read the books so far or if you are a TV fan enjoy watching it weekly or on catchup. No real fan is going to spoil their TV enjoyment by reading scripts. I imagine entertainment blogs and the like will be wetting themselves up over this so they can drip feed spoilers and get their clickbait value up.
RossD893 m ago

Got it! So no mention of the battle for the lunar base or that Jaime …Got it! So no mention of the battle for the lunar base or that Jaime Lannister is killed by King Bran.You can count on us![Image]

And when Hodor gets his iPhone... can't forget that bit
ThePasty4 m ago

Pointless hack. True fans have either read the books so far or if you are …Pointless hack. True fans have either read the books so far or if you are a TV fan enjoy watching it weekly or on catchup. No real fan is going to spoil their TV enjoyment by reading scripts. I imagine entertainment blogs and the like will be wetting themselves up over this so they can drip feed spoilers and get their clickbait value up.

I haven't read the books, I was a late comer to GoT, around S3 (Started from the beginning though) I will read the books. My fear is that people will just go on a frenzy of ruining it for others, though
I'll watch them no dubt if they pop up. Only to avoid accedental spoilers on facebook and the like really. I have many loose-tongued "friends".
It's hard because I like discussing shows, but having to avoid GoT posts on Facebook/Reddit completely; been some folk posting potential spoilers from the leaks just to troll. There's no guarantee they're real without reading the leaks myself, but it's still really annoying.
I don't find that spoilers spoil much for me as the context surrounding them is rarely given. I didn't keep up with GoT for a long while as I became bored of the show, but was last week made to catch up as my OH loves the show and wanted to get me up to speed so that we could watch the new season together. Having not watched the show since season 4(?) I knew roughly what the main spoilers of season 5 and 6 were, but that didn't make watching it any less compelling as the only thing that was given away was what happened, not how they happened or the events leading up to them.
Thank Goodness for hackers, their argument is usually they are just trying to show security flaws, simply put its theft.
It was the new skin *sad face*
No need for leaks..

Season 7 will go as follows.

E01 - E07 - Filler evolving around the biggest McGuffin of recent TV
E08- A CGI battle ending with a twist

and Season 8

E01 - E05 - More filler
E06 - A CGI battle, possibly where they narrate the words, "you win or you die".... then everyone dies

Roll credits.
davewave15 h, 43 m ago

Thank Goodness for hackers, their argument is usually they are just trying …Thank Goodness for hackers, their argument is usually they are just trying to show security flaws, simply put its theft.

Think of it like leaving something valuable out on your front lawn and being surprised when someone pinches it, yes it's theft, but ultimately when you report it everyone will say you should have kept it more securely.

There is something to be said about 'hackers' causing companies to be more security aware, good intentions or bad, without it everyone could leave valuables on their lawn and one day someone could swipe or destroy the lot.
Edited by: "delusion" 2nd Aug 2017
delusion30 m ago

Think of it like leaving something valuable out on your front lawn and …Think of it like leaving something valuable out on your front lawn and being surprised when someone pinches it, yes it's theft, but ultimately when you report it everyone will say you should have kept it more securely.There is something to be said about 'hackers' causing companies to be more security aware, good intentions or bad, without it everyone could leave valuables on their lawn and one day someone could swipe or destroy the lot.

Or thinking about locking your front door but someone coming smashing your window and nicking your valuables, who's at fault?
davewave4 m ago

Or thinking about locking your front door but someone coming smashing your …Or thinking about locking your front door but someone coming smashing your window and nicking your valuables, who's at fault?

Not the same though is it... That would cause physical damage, and a trail of evidence, and possible witnesses.

In today's world, online, you are at fault if you leave your data insecure.
delusion33 m ago

Not the same though is it... That would cause physical damage, and a trail …Not the same though is it... That would cause physical damage, and a trail of evidence, and possible witnesses. In today's world, online, you are at fault if you leave your data insecure.

hacking also leaves a trail of theft, destruction, repair cost and theft:- valuable media, data, effort to close down loopholes, a lot more expensive than a broken window.
It really doesn't, that's such a black and white view. It has the potential to cause damage if the data/server owner hasn't considered cyber security. But a hack could cause zero damage at all. A broken window is a broken window.

Effective cyber security is a requirement, telling people it's theft or that you don't want to be secure is idiotic and not a deterrant, especially in this world.

A break in at your home is usually down to someone local chancing their luck. Where as a breach online could be anyone around the world, even an automated bot, the risk of it happening is far higher.

I haven't said it isn't costly to fix, or that it's not a criminal act, but it's necessary to implement good security of your valuable data and if you don't, it's your fault.
Isn't the tv show ahead of the books now
davewave6 h, 30 m ago

Or thinking about locking your front door but someone coming smashing your …Or thinking about locking your front door but someone coming smashing your window and nicking your valuables, who's at fault?

Cyclist always blame the cyclist.
NeoTrix1st Aug

It seems HBO have been hit by a cyber attack, releasing GoT episodes and …It seems HBO have been hit by a cyber attack, releasing GoT episodes and possibly a script from an upcoming episode.

No GoT episodes have been leaked so far.
Graham.Bickerton2nd Aug

Isn't the tv show ahead of the books now

Yes.
Episode 4 is all over the steaming sites etc... Standard def only so far.
Edited by: "Krooner" 4th Aug 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants