Groups

HD DVD/Blu Ray on pc and graphics card question

I have a 8800GT 256mb which is great, I have a 1080p lcd tv and next to it a 22" widescreen TFT monitor

What Im having a problem with, is that when I play a hd dvd or blu ray and want to have something on second screen i.e a emulator, the movie is fine but the emulator gets like 15 FPS instead of a constant 60 when the hd movie is off

a normal dvd running with a emulator just slows down the emulator from a steady 60 to about 58-60 not really noticable

Would more Vram i.e a 512mb card be a difference?

6 Comments

The problem is Windows, the primary display is hardware accelerated but the second display is not which is why you get the poor performance. Adding more ram or a more powerful graphics card is not going to make a difference.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;2971954

The problem is Windows, the primary display is hardware accelerated but … The problem is Windows, the primary display is hardware accelerated but the second display is not which is why you get the poor performance. Adding more ram or a more powerful graphics card is not going to make a difference.John

Thats confusing as the emulators on the main display not the secondary one, and changing them around does no different fps wise.

Banned

try SLI or Crossfire one graphics card per screen

ryouga;2971957

Thats confusing as the emulators on the main display not the secondary … Thats confusing as the emulators on the main display not the secondary one, and changing them around does no different fps wise.

You said in your post that the emulator was running on the second screen so I assumed that's what you meant, not the opposite way round.

A DVD can run using pretty much the CPU on its own, it won't need any decode assist from the graphics card whereas HD content will need the graphics card to help. Having a more powerful graphics card is not going to change this as it's still going to be busy doing decode work while you are playing back the hd content.

John

The emulator shouldn't be using much graphics horsepower as they are cpu hogs, check your cpu usage.. and check to make sure dxva is enabled for your graphics card to reduce cpu overhead whilst watching HD content..

Original Poster

Well I managed to get a stable FPS by reducing the emulator filter, had it set to HQx4(the best setting) obv a drain on the card put it down to HQX2 and its stable at 57-61 fps.

I have a core2duo Q6300 at moment, I do have quad core mobo but cant use it till I work out a way to tattoo it.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764309
      2. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism11
      3. What are you loving on the BBC at the moment?63219
      4. What do you feel like whinging about today?1917266

See more discussions