Groups

HD Film Transfer from PC to TV

HI. A question for anyone. I have a HD TV in front room (Viera) and a computer in my office. The PC has the N1 router(Belkin) next to it but not close to the TV. I would like to run all my downloaded Movies / You Tube and H264 High Def Movies to my TV. I am guessing my Broadband at 50meg and my router being N1 will tick the box but I need to know what to buy to plug into PC / Router and what to receive / plug into the TV. I have a HD sound processor that takes ALL inputs i.e. HD, Optic etc but I have no Scart connections anymore.

My question is what should I buy, the best price and where from? Of course under £500. I will give Rep on any help and Merry Christmas to all

17 Comments

You can do it with a PS3 by doing file sharing.

Easy and costs nothing (except the PS3) :-D

Original Poster

399out;7323526

You can do it with a PS3 by doing file sharing. Easy and costs nothing … You can do it with a PS3 by doing file sharing. Easy and costs nothing (except the PS3) :-D

OK I just need a PS3 is that all? Can It play all file formats and what one would you suggest and price?

Sorry never wanted a PS3 so I have no idea about them. Whether they are wireless etc

Thanks again

PS3 wont play mkv files. You will have to convert and stream them from your pc.

You should buy a WDTV live media player. That will play everything. Much better for media than the ps3.

gr8h8me;7323576

OK I just need a PS3 is that all? Can It play all file formats and what … OK I just need a PS3 is that all? Can It play all file formats and what one would you suggest and price?Sorry never wanted a PS3 so I have no idea about them. Whether they are wireless etcThanks again

Well i can only talk from experience..

I have a 60GB Phat model.. And i downloaded a few 1080p blu ray films using torrents. Leave the computer on and the wireless will pick it up automatically..

If not there are a few tutorials out there showing how to do it:)

Piece of cake in my mind :-D

EDIT: Made a tutorial a while ago. Will try to find it.

Not sure about ALL HD formats though

That's not possible. Sorry.

Banned

Forget about all these comments, Buy a Popcorn Hour C-200!!

It will play anything and everything you throw at it!

Also has a 5.1/4" Drive bay for a Blu-Ray drive, They're around £300 new.

Have a look on advancedMP3.co.uk

Banned

deathtrap3000;7323592

PS3 wont play mkv files. You will have to convert and stream them from … PS3 wont play mkv files. You will have to convert and stream them from your pc. You should buy a WDTV live media player. That will play everything. Much better for media than the ps3.

The WDTV isn't a very good Media Player when compared to a Popcorn Hour or similar.

Original Poster

davelee1097;7323630

Forget about all these comments, Buy a Popcorn Hour C-200!!It will play … Forget about all these comments, Buy a Popcorn Hour C-200!!It will play anything and everything you throw at it!Also has a 5.1/4" Drive bay for a Blu-Ray drive, They're around £300 new.Have a look on advancedMP3.co.uk

Dave well done thats what I want. Wish I could rep you more. Repped all above as well for your help and I don't have to get a PS3 :thumbsup:

Banned

gr8h8me;7323726

Dave well done thats what I want. Wish I could rep you more. Repped all … Dave well done thats what I want. Wish I could rep you more. Repped all above as well for your help and I don't have to get a PS3 :thumbsup:

No problem...:thumbsup:

My Dad has a Popcorn Hour A-110 and it's awesome, I'm getting an eGreat m31a from a member on here and that's supposed to be just as good. But if I had the money it would be spent on a C-200.

Glad I could help.

Merry Christmas...................:gift:

Dave :santa:

ok i read about this but still dont know what it does...we use the laptop to tv to stream programs or watch downloaded films etc..how does this differ? i mean i know it must be something more just dont undestand what? im not at all technical so please keep it simple if you have time?

hey davelee you live near me!!

Banned

plumberman01;7323795

ok i read about this but still dont know what it does...we use the laptop … ok i read about this but still dont know what it does...we use the laptop to tv to stream programs or watch downloaded films etc..how does this differ? i mean i know it must be something more just dont undestand what? im not at all technical so please keep it simple if you have time?hey davelee you live near me!!

Why, Where do you live??

Basically this "network media tank" is a standalone media streamer, you can play films over your network to your TV or play off a hard drive built into the NMT. You can also use it as network attached storage and to watch youtube etc on your telly.

Sum it up, it's a fantastic bit of kit.

Assuming you want something wireless then you have three options.

- A wireless HDMI set. This allows you to hook up your TV as a second screen to your PC and show whatever you want on it.

Upsides: You can show anything your PC will handle. Games, Films, Web pages, Presentations, whatever.

Downsides: Expensive. At less than £500 you'll only get a 720p/1080i one and that'll likely cost several hundred pounds.

- A Media Player of some description. WDTV, Playstation 3, Popcorn Hour etc. You only stream the files to these and they do the hard work of decoding the tightly compressed package into a video signal for the TV.

Upsides: Cheap and Dedicated. You can also later transfer your files onto a low-power NAS device.

Downsides: Limited functionality. They'll play the media files they're designed to but if a new format gains popularity or you find yourself wanting to display more than just video or audio on your TV then you'll have to replace the entire thing.

- A Media Center PC. A low-profile, quiet PC plugged directly into your TV. I believe you could still stream files from your existing PC but you'd probably end up just putting them all on the media centre PC (You can access other PC's hard drives over the network).

Upsides: Everything of the first option, plus it's dedicated and there's no possibility of your wifi not being good enough for some streaming (which can apparently happen even with the fastest wifi) if you put the files on this machine.

Downsides: Probably the most expensive option of the lot, you'll end up pushing £500 to do it properly.

Banned

what's a wireless HDMI set? Link please.

Banned

dcx_badass;7324240

Your internet speed has no relevance to this.

I didn't see a mention of internet speed?
    I can see a referance on Wi-Fi speed, Is that what you meant?

Banned

dcx_badass;7324403

Did you not read the OP.

Yeah I did, He mentions the likes of Youtube.

davelee1097;7323832

Why, Where do you live??Basically this "network media tank" is a … Why, Where do you live??Basically this "network media tank" is a standalone media streamer, you can play films over your network to your TV or play off a hard drive built into the NMT. You can also use it as network attached storage and to watch youtube etc on your telly.Sum it up, it's a fantastic bit of kit.

:oops: thanks i think ill stick to using leads as this is all foreign to me....

im right near Warrington:thumbsup:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?34209
      2. Who's getting the Xbox X Scorpio? 60 day satisfaction1213
      3. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …90154
      4. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30115

See more discussions