Groups

HD Monitor with VGA cable???

I just bought a HD monitor and am currently connecting it to my computer via VGA. Is there a real difference between using VGA and DVI as I have that option as I have that port on my computer...

Thanks

17 Comments

I've asked this Q before and I think the textbook answer is that theres no difference.

However, I decided to just get a HDMI - DVI cable, cos HDMI is easier to put in and remove, and to be honest the quality is slightly better. I know I'll probably get attacked for this because HDMI supposedly only adds audio, but thats what I've experienced.

Banned

slight difference not worth the £20 cable though

Banned

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Teal"]No there definitely IS a difference - DVI is clearer, and its more noticable on bigger screens.

However, it is only a small difference on smaller screens, and if you are happy with VGA, i would say stick with it.

Also bare in mind that if you switch to DVI and your graphics card and monitor don't support HDCP, you won't be able to watch high definition films on bluray or HDDVD[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

lumoruk;6870434

slight difference not worth the £20 cable though

I got this one:
    ]http//ww…194

yes a big difference if you ask me just need to make sure your gpx card will put out enoth, look on ebay get a cheap one from were ever they are all the same sorry also depends what you view if you watching HD movies then you will notice but if you still just internet browsing the is a diffrence but theres no point

In addition to the above comments I find that text is SO much sharper on DVI. It's not satisfactory enough on VGA

hdizzle;6870408

I've asked this Q before and I think the textbook answer is that theres … I've asked this Q before and I think the textbook answer is that theres no difference.However, I decided to just get a HDMI - DVI cable, cos HDMI is easier to put in and remove, and to be honest the quality is slightly better. I know I'll probably get attacked for this because HDMI supposedly only adds audio, but thats what I've experienced.

no your right hdmi / DVI is digial (DIGITAL VIDEO INPUT) so if anyone attack you they can attack me to lol :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hdizzle;6870514

In addition to the above comments I find that text is SO much sharper on … In addition to the above comments I find that text is SO much sharper on DVI. It's not satisfactory enough on VGA

Subjective or likely your monitor, I have VGA on my 3 year old TFT and it looks great, I only use dvi when I either use laptop or bring main pc into the bedroom and yes it is better but I wouldnt say it is an incredible increase.

IMO with DVI/HDMI you are getting better sharpness but duller colours but again thats subjective.

ryouga;6870560

Subjective or likely your monitor, I have VGA on my 3 year old TFT and it … Subjective or likely your monitor, I have VGA on my 3 year old TFT and it looks great, I only use dvi when I either use laptop or bring main pc into the bedroom and yes it is better but I wouldnt say it is an incredible increase.IMO with DVI/HDMI you are getting better sharpness but duller colours but again thats subjective.

how big is your screen?

Banned

my monitor downgraded to 60Hz from 75Hz when I moved to DVI

hdizzle;6870607

how big is your screen?

22" monitor, also used a 37" 1080p LCD in past, was def sharper but had to look, and I currently have a 42" 720p plasma which again is sharper but not much better imo.

ryouga;6870645

22" monitor, also used a 37" 1080p LCD in past, was def sharper but had … 22" monitor, also used a 37" 1080p LCD in past, was def sharper but had to look, and I currently have a 42" 720p plasma which again is sharper but not much better imo.

interesting. I guess its depends on each situation. For my Samsung 23" Syncmaster, it made a big difference upgrading to DVI-HDMI. I was sick of VGA!

dcx_badass;6871449

VGA is analogue and DVI is digital, their should be a small difference, … VGA is analogue and DVI is digital, their should be a small difference, I'd do it anyway for the sake of a £2 cable from ebay.You're talking about DVI and HDMI, they asked about VGA and DVI.

Thing is from the monitor its a DVI, but it connects to the laptop via HDMI like this one:
    ]http//ww…194

So doesnt that make it DVI technically?

dcx_badass;6872533

I don't even know what you just said, but it still has no relevance as … I don't even know what you just said, but it still has no relevance as the OP asked about VGA and DVI.

DVI and HDMI are Digital signals and have exactly the same digital data protocol for video.

The difference being HDMI has Audio in the digital data, where DVI doesn't.

VGA is an Analog signal.

to be short it will depend on lots of factors, best advice is try both see which one you prefer

dcx_badass;6873125

Congratulations for typing out exactly what I said in my first post of … Congratulations for typing out exactly what I said in my first post of the thread, again, that's not what the OP asked about. They asked about VGA and DVI, nothing to do with DVI and HDMI, did any of you fools read what they said?

comon you should know that no threds stay on topic lol :):):)

dcx_badass;6873125

Congratulations for typing out exactly what I said in my first post of … Congratulations for typing out exactly what I said in my first post of the thread, again, that's not what the OP asked about. They asked about VGA and DVI, nothing to do with DVI and HDMI, did any of you fools read what they said?

I wasn't replying to the OP's original post....i was replying to DCX_BADASS's post ......that what the 'QUOTE' button is for ......DOH !! :roll:
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …3571347
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764603
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…1868
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213646

See more discussions