Groups

HD Televisions

Advice please!

My telly has gone on blink. I went to Comet to look at their televsions and was disappointed to see that two thirds of the TVs had no picture and/or poor picture quality.

The Sony, Toshiba and LG HD TVs looked grainy/blurred?

Does anyone have any recommendations please for a decent HD television (some are advertised as "HD Ready" and some "HD Television" - what is the difference?).

Looking to spend upto £400. Thanks.

19 Comments

The tv's in comet etc will have a bad picture, something to do with something :thinking:

once you get a tv home you will see the difference.

You want a good contrast ratio for a start but not always

What will you be using your tv for?

sky hd? xbox 360? freeview? blu ray?

how big are you looking for

you can get a great toshiba from Amazon for your budget. 32" 1080p. Or for around £300 you can get a 32" 720p. Someone else can tell you what all that means as i'm running out the door!

the TVs in the shop will look a crap because they are on a media splitter from one source usually and then you will have the odd one running WALL-E from a BD player. The Samsungs are good and I can highly recommend them, go for a Series 6 and you save a bundle on the newer models and there isn't much difference in quality unless you going to check resolution pixel by pixel with a magnifying glass.

Alfonse;5879129

the TVs in the shop will look a crap because they are on a media splitter … the TVs in the shop will look a crap because they are on a media splitter from one source usually and then you will have the odd one running WALL-E from a BD player. The Samsungs are good and I can highly recommend them, go for a Series 6 and you save a bundle on the newer models and there isn't much difference in quality unless you going to check resolution pixel by pixel with a magnifying glass.

Thats what it is, when looking for mine the advisor was telling me but i was drifting in and out.

Bought mine online, great purchase i feel. i looked at some reviews and prices and took the plunge.

Got fed up with going round comet etc as you cant really see what you are buying

remember if you buy Sony you are just paying for a brand name as they havent made TV's for years...all parts inside from other companies like Samsung and LG...i'd avoid paying over the odds for 4 letters on the front!

Original Poster

Thanks guys! The TV will just be for normal viewing; nothing special.

I'll have a look on Amazon.

Bishbash;5880118

Thanks guys! The TV will just be for normal viewing; nothing … Thanks guys! The TV will just be for normal viewing; nothing special.I'll have a look on Amazon.

If you just want one for normal viewing then you should get a decent one for your budget

Think of the future though... would you ever get xbox blu ray or sky hd??

You dont want to buy something for now and realise its not good for what you want in a couple of years

Actually forget that just buy this

amazon.co.uk/gp/…-21

Panasonic plasma, fantastic picture in HD and SD format.

richardcotton;5879778

remember if you buy Sony you are just paying for a brand name as they … remember if you buy Sony you are just paying for a brand name as they havent made TV's for years...all parts inside from other companies like Samsung and LG...i'd avoid paying over the odds for 4 letters on the front!

I disagree, yeh the brand name has a lot to do with it but the tv i have which is the Sony 32D3000 is the best HDTV for watching SD content on and its also damn good with blu-ray. No other HDTV can handle SD content this well except from some kuros

Starr;5880200

If you just want one for normal viewing then you should get a decent one … If you just want one for normal viewing then you should get a decent one for your budgetThink of the future though... would you ever get xbox blu ray or sky hd??You dont want to buy something for now and realise its not good for what you want in a couple of yearsActually forgot that just buy thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0020HR6QM/ref=nosim/?tag=hotukdeals-21

i will +1 for this. just bought one for the living room and it is brilliant.

kiwinator;5880319

I disagree, yeh the brand name has a lot to do with it but the tv i have … I disagree, yeh the brand name has a lot to do with it but the tv i have which is the Sony 32D3000 is the best HDTV for watching SD content on and its also damn good with blu-ray. No other HDTV can handle SD content this well except from some kuros

Fair enough...but Sony didnt make this TV!!! It is Samsung/LG so you do just pay for the brand name

kiwinator;5880319

I disagree, yeh the brand name has a lot to do with it but the tv i have … I disagree, yeh the brand name has a lot to do with it but the tv i have which is the Sony 32D3000 is the best HDTV for watching SD content on and its also damn good with blu-ray. No other HDTV can handle SD content this well except from some kuros

How do you know that for certain?

kiwinator;5880319

I think you'll find the Panasonic plasma's are fantastic for SD content. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

kiwinator;5880319

You know that Samsung made/make the Sony panels?

Samsung is definately the way to go imo, they look something special and have the picture quality to match

Source: ]AV Forums

esq3585;5898593

I think you'll find the Panasonic plasma's are fantastic for SD content. … I think you'll find the Panasonic plasma's are fantastic for SD content. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Indeed, as are most Plasma TV's, far better than LCD's.:thumbsup:

esq3585;5880272

+2.35:thumbsup:

leecher;5898700

[COLOR="Red"]You know that Samsung made/make the Sony … [COLOR="Red"]You know that Samsung made/make the Sony panels[/COLOR]?Samsung is definately the way to go imo, they look something special and have the picture quality to matchSource: ]AV Forums

There are only three LCD display manufacturers

Sony/Samsung
    LG
    Sharp

However, Sony are going into partnership with Sharp, so in the future most Sony TVs will have a Sharp-produced display.

The individual manufacturers (Toshiba, Sony, Panasonic etc) still make the TVs, just not the actual displays :thumbsup:

They don't usually bother to set the settings (brightness etc.) correctly in the shops so could be another reason why they seemed poor to you. Your best bet is to look for some professional reviews online or on av forums.

esq3585;5880272

+1

/thread
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Supermarket may have sold Sausages & Other Pork products may have been inf…915
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764322
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?32162
      4. Help Me Find Bright Red Exterior Paint PLEASE45

See more discussions